Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 3.2L V6 with about 89K miles on it and I don't see any time/mileage intervals in the owner's manual for fluid change for transmission, differential, or transfer case. Is there a factory recommended interval for these fluids? I can't get a VW dealer to give me a straight answer on when I should change the fluids. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

·
Registered
179 Posts
There's a lot of info on this topic and just as many differing opinions. I just did mine at 60k VW states the trans is sealed for life but I think that has been revised to 60k intervals

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rso,

That's the hard part with the VW products. You can follow the factory schedule in the owners manual thinking that you're okay and still not be sure about things that you are used to changing at regular intervals in other makes. I'm out of the factory warranty but still in an extended warranty and don't want to get screwed on a claim because they say I didn't follow factory scheduled maintanence. I don't see anything in the owner's manual about changing any of those fluids so I am not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
They're sealed for life as far as VW is concerned.

But what you have to remember is that "life" for VW means 60,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. [And, yes, I know there's 100K warranty for some on the drive train! VW have crossed their fingers a] that nothing breaks and b] that someone else will have bought the car and not know they can claim!]]

VW don't care what happens to your car once it is out of their own warranty and it's the same for most manufacturers nowadays.

If you really want longevity, you have to step up to the plate yourself and take positive action.

My ATF fluid got changed by the dealer when the gearbox valve chest went tits up at about 90K and the other transmission fluids were changed at 100K by my local garage.

I suggest you get all of yours done. Have a look at the condition of whatever comes out. I have a feeling you'll be glad you've taken matters into your own hands!

·
Registered
579 Posts
So, any updated thoughts on the subject of transmission/differential fluid change intervals . . . especially for T3's?

My 2013 is about to turn over 55,000 miles. We do only occasional light towing over short distances (e.g., pick up a yard of mulch). We plan to keep the Touareg for a long time (especially now with the anticipated 10-year/120,000-mile warranty for TDIs), so I would like to perform reasonable maintenance to promote long life, but also don't want to throw money at it unnecessarily.

·
Registered
682 Posts
So, any updated thoughts on the subject of transmission/differential fluid change intervals . . . especially for T3's?

My 2013 is about to turn over 55,000 miles. We do only occasional light towing over short distances (e.g., pick up a yard of mulch). We plan to keep the Touareg for a long time (especially now with the anticipated 10-year/120,000-mile warranty for TDIs), so I would like to perform reasonable maintenance to promote long life, but also don't want to throw money at it unnecessarily.
Follow your manual for best experience.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Change everything at 60K which is halfway through your expected ownership.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Porsche Cayenne has a different fluid change intervals that some of us follow
Not a bad idea. According to the 2015 Porsche Cayenne Maintenance Schedule, the engine oil and filter on diesels in the USA are to be changed every 5,000 miles (1/2 the VW interval), and the fluids in the front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and transmission (with filter) are to be changed every 160,000 miles (!) or 16 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
160K??

Reluctant to argue with Porkers, but I definitely wouldn't leave any oil or fluid in the car that long!

·
Registered
579 Posts
I understand Porsche is conservative on diesel engine oil changes in the US due to fuel quality (the gasoline Cayenne interval is 10,000 miles). But if Porsche thinks the drivetrain interval is 160,000 miles/16 years, then 100,000 miles should be conservatively safe. I may drop my engine oil interval down to 5,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
7 Participants
BeemerMikeTX
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing