Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with flat tire prevention products like tire slime? The tire safety seal looks interesting as well. I like the idea of getting run-flat like technology without actually having to pay for it. I drive a decent amount for work and I have suffered two flat tires in my 07 Touareg in last 6 months. Things could be worse than flat tires, but it does throw your day out of whack. The slime is TPMS safe. If I did get a puncture I would go get the tire fixed, but at least I wouldn't be fixing it on the side of the road.

https://www.slime.com/uk/products/auto/sealants/tire-sensor-safe.php
https://www.tiresafetyseal.com/

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I have heard that tire shops hate the stuff. You can only imagine what the inside of the tire looks like with that stuff inside it.

Usually AAA will change a flat for you if you're in a suit and tie and can't get dirty.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Best thing to do is to check your treads for stones and screws etc.
As the tyres wear down the things trapped in the tread push into the tyre.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
One or two folk elsewhere have used slime but none have reported back - perhaps they had punctures but never knew about them!

Others use tire strings to effect quick road side repairs.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The thing about slime is that you could have something in your tyre tearing away at the belts and not know it.

I use string, it works great.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use string as well. Works in most scenarios. However, if you slash the side wall of the tire, noting can help (happened to me). Best solution is a spare, if you have room for it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I have never had run flats,but hear they get terrible mileage and are poor from a ride comfort standpoint. I have not had the flat experience yet, but carry the string fix kit. Hope to never need it. I do run Michelin latitudes and don't try to go to their limit of service life. Fingers crossed on every long trip. I hate not having a real spare.

·
Registered
226 Posts
About run-flat tires:
I've had some Bridgestone (don't remember the exact name) run flats on my BMW. Fuel economy was affected, they were pretty uncomfortable. But the worst part was the noise they made! Damn, so loud... it was unbearable on the highway. You need to turn up your sound system, and on my T3... hehe... turn it to 1/4 volume, that's as loud as you will ever get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts