Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All T3 Owners,

I've notice while the vehicle is in idle (park) from time to time there's a "flapping" noise coming from the under side of the body. It seems like its coming from towards the rear of the vehicle. It doesn't do this while the vehicle is in drive.

Just wondering if any T3 owners notice this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Does it change pitch or frequency of you tap the accelerator? Where do you think it is coming from more specifically? Does it sound like a knock or a tinny metallic sound?

Could be something loose on the exhaust such as a heat shield. Need more information.

Try opening the four doors and rear hatch when the sound is happening to hear it better. Try turning the steering wheel when the noise is happening. Push the brake pedal when the noise is happening.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it change pitch or frequency of you tap the accelerator? Where do you think it is coming from more specifically? Does it sound like a knock or a tinny metallic sound?

Could be something loose on the exhaust such as a heat shield. Need more information.

Try opening the four doors and rear hatch when the sound is happening to hear it better. Try turning the steering wheel when the noise is happening. Push the brake pedal when the noise is happening.
The frequency or intensity changes slightly (but i cant remember now off the top of my head). It is not a metallic sound (not like metal on metal) more like rubber on plastic or plastic on plastic vibrating.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that.

I was under the car, doing an oil change and didnt notice anything loose.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi did you manage to get it sorted or find what the problem was as I've notice that same noise today, while in idle mode, and not when accelerating. At first it sounded like it was coming from the back of the car passenger side. But today it seemed to be more on the front passengers side. thanks and await a reply from you or anyone that knows.
Cheers
vw touareg 3.0 v6 tdi 2008 UK

·
Registered
786 Posts
Have you looked in the door pockets, the side pocket in the rear, and the spare tire well for loose objects? It sounds like something is loose and vibrating..... Kind of like when you leave your water bottle in the door pocket and it moves just right to vibrate against something at idle.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue on my touareg 2013. When it's cold outside, I have this strange sound under the car in idle only. I don't see anything loose from the exhaust system and suspension. Anybody have a idea

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Can you record it? All speculation here without more detail. It could be anything from an exhaust hanger to vibrating heat shield, to vibrating bottom engine cover, could be exhaust warming up (tick tick tick), or a trunk monkey shivering....or???

An M&M on your seat rail? A Lego? Seriously kids will drop stuff in places you will never know. Boss had his Porsche dash torn into over a Lego with dealer frantically trying to find source of rattle. Lol! Bet that was an expensive bill...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sounds like the sound a bad cat makes when the core breaks free from the surrounding housing. The video sounds like it is coming from the rear suitcase area? If this is so (use a socket extension and place the extension against the culprit and the other end against your ear to isolate) there have been cases of ice forming in the exhaust and then vehicles not running (think potato in tailpipe due to flow restriction) might look into this. Or someone put something up your pipe?

The fix for water in exhaust should have been fixed by your gen...but it was to make weeping holes.

Now this also could be a bad exhaust mount rattling the exhaust or the mount itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am sure that is not Ice in the exhaust because I put the car in my garage about 2 days and they continue to make this sound. I will do more test this week and give you my feedback

1 - 10 of 10 Posts