Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, all of the "original" T1 owners are laughing, because you already have 5 visors! :roll eyes:

But my T2 didn't. When a 2004 Touareg showed up in the pick n pull yard and hour away from me, I went down there and pulled the overhead console. I needed the sunroof switch (mine was peeling) but decided to grab the whole console since it had the center visor that was removed from the T2 models. I switched out the console and sunroof switch and reused all the rest of my components (compass module and homelink).

Interestingly, I always figured the two "speaker" pods in the front were part of the Dynaudio system. They're not. One is empty behind it and the other one has what I'm guessing is a speaker for bluetooth adaptation. There was nothing plugged into it and nothing extra in any of the nearby harnesses. <shrug>

And to top it all off, I got some other trim parts and it only cost me gas money and $22!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
High five!!

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Excellent, I have been toying with doing this for sometime..

Can you post a photo?

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
Thing is though the T2 has a spot on the windshield that would eliminate really needing that small visor on the over head console. The speaker you are referring to was more for the then short lived OnStar system. I don't think there ever was a bluetooth system on the T1.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Some T1s have speakers behind all the grilles, for example our V10 w/ 11 speakers :) There's even one in the top middle of the dashboard.

-J

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
I had speakers in the center of the dash in my 04 as well and it was just a V6 model.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The speaker pods were from my T2 console. I'll try to remember a photo. It just looks like a T1 console, really. Everything swaps over. The engineers even thought to put a "hinge" in the front, so when disconnected, you can swivel the console down and it doesn't have to hang from the wiring!

The center of the windshield has that 1/2 tone dot filler, but does not completely block the sun. The visor gets the job done.

Even with all the visors in the world, the sun still manages to slip between the cracks, but something is better than nothing. LOL!

I have the blank plate from the T1 console to replace the nonexistent speaker pods. It would make a nice place for switches. Maybe an Eject or Oil Slick button!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dot filer

The speaker pods were from my T2 console. I'll try to remember a photo. It just looks like a T1 console, really. Everything swaps over. The engineers even thought to put a "hinge" in the front, so when disconnected, you can swivel the console down and it doesn't have to hang from the wiring!

The center of the windshield has that 1/2 tone dot filler, but does not completely block the sun. The visor gets the job done.

Even with all the visors in the world, the sun still manages to slip between the cracks, but something is better than nothing. LOL!

I have the blank plate from the T1 console to replace the nonexistent speaker pods. It would make a nice place for switches. Maybe an Eject or Oil Slick button!
My manual (150 TDI) says that dot fill area is to let Communications through. The windscreen is apparently metalized. No further info as I don't understand it. :???:

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
That little visor doesn't serve much of a purpose in your Treg.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That little visor doesn't serve much of a purpose in your Treg.
Why not? :confused:

The half tone screen on the windshield doesn't do much. The visor is at least fully opaque.

I have to figure out something interesting to do with the fake speaker pods, now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like the small visor. My Mk4 Jetta and old S-Class have them. I wish the Passat had one.

-J

1 - 15 of 15 Posts