Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, went for our first trip camping with the Touareg last weekend, very impressed with the vehicle!

We didn't go far, just up to Big River state forest up past Marysville, towed the camper trailer and the car didn't miss a beat, even up the long hill near marysville it was able to maintain 100 whist towing the camper! (our old Patrol used to struggle at 40km/h!!)

Took off on the saturday to find some tracks to play on, managed to find some quite steep sections that certainly needed low range, very impressed with the capabilities so far. Comparison to the Q7 that I had previously is not really fair as this car is definitely more biased to off road work, it had descent control, but it didn't really work that well, in the touareg it works amazingly well. Having low range really helps it crawl down steep sections.

I will attempt to attach some photos!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh my, please will someone explain to me why it does this??? how do I turn them around??? they look OK on my computer but when I post them here it turns them all directions...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It's bloody obvious . . .

You are down under!

·
Registered
427 Posts
oh my, please will someone explain to me why it does this??? how do I turn them around??? they look OK on my computer but when I post them here it turns them all directions...
It's ok if you start at the top left and go clockwise - it feels like it has a pattern then :). Looks like you had some fun!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I noticed that quirk when uploading portrait oriented image into personal photo gallery. It turned 90 deg automatically to the landscape orientation.
You may use internet hosting services like photobucket to upload your pictures here.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try Again!:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 (MY12) V6 TDI180 4XMotion, 275,000km
257 Posts
Nice photos; and good to see a Treg hitch on a Treg.

What tyres? Air Suspension?

I see the 2013 4XMotion has the same exhaust tips as the 4Motion TDI - whereas my 2012 model has the round pipes.:)

Beware of the susceptibility of the plastic wheel arch trims to be ripped off their plastic studs ... and they ain't cheap to replace.

Having used my Treg extensively as a farm truck (often in preference to the ancient landcruiser), and having now collected 4 x kangaroos at highway speed, I have essentially trashed all the plastic trim bits around and under the car. But I swear by the resilience of the plastic front bumper assembly which acts much like a 'smart bar' - roos tend to ricochet off them. Just pop the plastic bits back in, apply duct tape, and resume.

·
Registered
427 Posts

I see the 2013 4XMotion has the same exhaust tips as the 4Motion TDI - whereas my 2012 model has the round pipes.:)
My 2014 4XMotion is the same, round pipes and plastic runs under the doors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I ordered my 2013 4xmotion I was given the option of standard (black plastic and round tail pipes) or chrome pack which looks identical to the 4motion, but with the extra underbody protection. There was no difference in the price.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I ordered my 2013 4xmotion I was given the option of standard (black plastic and round tail pipes) or chrome pack which looks identical to the 4motion, but with the extra underbody protection. There was no difference in the price.
Ahhhh... never knew that, thought the 4XMotion was specific pack of goodies, thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Beware of the susceptibility of the plastic wheel arch trims to be ripped off their plastic studs ... and they ain't cheap to replace.

Having used my Treg extensively as a farm truck (often in preference to the ancient landcruiser), and having now collected 4 x kangaroos at highway speed, I have essentially trashed all the plastic trim bits around and under the car. But I swear by the resilience of the plastic front bumper assembly which acts much like a 'smart bar' - roos tend to ricochet off them. Just pop the plastic bits back in, apply duct tape, and resume.
yes, the Treg hitch is great, very easy to connect.

Yes, I have air suspension, the wheels are from an Audi Q7 - 18 inch and the tyres are 255/60/18 General Grabber AT2's, fantastic off road, a little noisy on road though. I ran these wheels and tyres on my Q7 on a trip to central OZ, Kings Canyon, Larapinta Drive, Finke, Mt Dare, Oddnadatta Track. Never missed a beat. Have since had them in Soft sand in near Mt Gambier and Mud at Big River(previous Trip with Q7, not much mud this trip)

I was apprehensive about getting them as I had not heard of them until I went looking for some AT tyres in 18 Inch (Q7 was a V8 TDI so the smallest wheels that fitted were 18's) There were quite a few different tyres available, but most seemed more biased towards road use, I wanted something that would work a bit better off road, as that is what they are for.

Have been very happy with them.

Yes, my car is a 4XMotion(has low range, 100ltr tank, more underbody protection etc) As noted above, as of the MY13 cars, the 4XMotion came with the Chrome and Style pack as standard unless optioned with the off road styling that was standard with them before MY13.

Matthew

·
Registered
2011 (MY12) V6 TDI180 4XMotion, 275,000km
257 Posts
Matthew,

Thanks for update. Hope you continue to enjoy your Treg, including getting it dirty.

Rgds, Martin.

·
Registered
702 Posts

Love your work unkydunky.

Matt, I also have the general grabber AT2 and have been very impressed. I just wish I'd got the 265/65R18 instead of the 255/60R18

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Matt, I also have the general grabber AT2 and have been very impressed. I just wish I'd got the 265/65R18 instead of the 255/60R18
Yeah, I wanted to keep the original size, as it is the 255/60's are 8mm taller than the 275/45/20 originals which when fitted to my Q7 made the speedo 100% accurate, I haven't checked the Touareg yet.

265/65/18 would be 46mm taller and make the speedo rear 6% less, a big difference.

Matthew

1 - 16 of 16 Posts