Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of going off-roading for the first time in my Treg.

I am not exactly experienced off-roader and I would appreciate any good advice on where to go around Sydney,Central Coast,Blue Mountain or Southern Highlands.

Ideally somewhere where we can camp overnight.

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
737 Posts
So I'm thinking of going off-roading for the first time in my Treg.

I am not exactly experienced off-roader and I would appreciate any good advice on where to go around Sydney,Central Coast,Blue Mountain or Southern Highlands.

Ideally somewhere where we can camp overnight.

Thanks for any ideas.
For your first couple of outings, I'd strongly advise you to go out with an existing group...ideally with a couple of other experienced Touareg owners. They'll show you the best trails and routes. If you bend or break something, it's very useful to have knowledgeable people around to help you out. If you get stuck by yourself, or hurt, it could be a long walk for help.

Stuff happens. Be prepared.

Also, and I cannot overstate this, do not get in over your head. Until you have some experience offroading, and really know your truck, go out easy. Be clear with the group that you are new to offroading and that you will need help. Ask several times how difficult the planned route will be, and don't be afraid to bail if the trail turns out to be more difficult than expected.

I found myself once in a difficult situation where the route had been described as "easy to intermediate." It was not. I was in over my head with three young kids in my truck, on street tires, on a *cold* winter day. At one point, due both to my inexperience and equipment (tires), I got pretty well stuck. It took 90 cold minutes for several experienced offroaders, with heavy duty winches, to get me unstuck. They weren't particularly happy about it, yet they were kind enough to keep at it until we got unstuck. (I thought we were going to have to call in a farm tractor or helicopter to get my truck out!)

Shortly after getting moving again, I watched a Defender 90 go over on its side going up an icy, rocky path. Yes, improper technique -- too much throttle and the rear tires started to bounce... Another 45 minutes to right and winch the D90 up the slope. Half of us, including me, then chose to get winched up rather than risk damage.

Offroading is a blast. It takes some time to build experience, your knowledge, and your truck. Don't push your truck beyond its limits. A stock T3 is not a Defender 90 or a built Jeep Wrangler. Take your time, enjoy the experience, learn from others. It's a very social activity. Don't hesitate to ask for help...we've all been there and are more than happy to help others.

Reactions: imquattro

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
X2 on going with someone else.

Since you're not in North America, your Touareg had the option of a low range transfer case. If you DO NOT have low range, forget about anything other than the occasional rutted dirt road. Low range gives your torque and slow control, which is what you want when 4 wheeling. It will also help slow you down going downhill so you can save your brakes.

Try some light, easy trails to start out. Now that I've done some harder trails, I actually prefer the easy ones sometimes so I can relax and enjoy the scenery.

As mentioned, don't hesitate to ask for help.:- )

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
x2 on going with others and being sensible.

The right tyres will make a big difference to the car's off-road capabilities.

If you have standard road-biased tyres, you can even get a Touareg stuck on flat, wet grass!

·
Registered
344 Posts
G'day
Join a club would be my suggestion.
But to answer your question - Sunny Corner, Palmers Oakey, Turon River, Capertee, Kowmung River Crossing from Kanangra Walls Road, Wombeyan Caves...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for you input, I appreciate it.

I should have clarified that when I say offroad I really mean easy gravel road then would take me to somewhere nice with option of camping overnight.

I have stock V6 with OEM tyres and no dif-lock therefore any crazy off roading is off the limits and I'm not planning on getting the car bulked up for real 4wd.

Cheers

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
5,982 Posts
Thanks all for you input, I appreciate it. I should have clarified that when I say offroad I really mean easy gravel road then would take me to somewhere nice with option of camping overnight. I have stock V6 with OEM tyres and no dif-lock therefore any crazy off roading is off the limits and I'm not planning on getting the car bulked up for real 4wd. Cheers
I see you are sydney, lets chat, join me/us for a club gtg around Sydney and beyond.
We do such trips several times in a year.
Closest to Sydney and some interesting tracks include the one around blue mountains

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
G'day
Join a club would be my suggestion.
But to answer your question - Sunny Corner, Palmers Oakey, Turon River, Capertee, Kowmung River Crossing from Kanangra Walls Road, Wombeyan Caves...
Wombeyan Caves look really nice, if it stays dry we will be going there this weekend, any tips?

·
Learner
5,982 Posts
Wombeyan Caves look really nice, if it stays dry we will be going there this weekend, any tips?
Easy trip, go from jenolan caves and drive across to wombeyan after crossing the kowmung.
Great day, weekend trip. Google it and you will find the trek notes or pm me.
I'm heading os so lets plan another one in march april
Theres a book on 4wd treks close to Sydney

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Thanks all for you input, I appreciate it.

I should have clarified that when I say offroad I really mean easy gravel road then would take me to somewhere nice with option of camping overnight.

I have stock V6 with OEM tyres and no dif-lock therefore any crazy off roading is off the limits and I'm not planning on getting the car bulked up for real 4wd.

Cheers
You should be fine, even without low range, then. But still go with a friend. If nothing else, you'll have more fun that way.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Sydney - wombeyan - jenolan caves - Sydney can be done in a comfortable 12hrs.

I did it in 1992 in a Cordia Turbo !!!! and then again in the Treg 5 years ago but in around 10hrs .... but this time went the Bells Road home.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Also try to Hill End and down to the river nice over nighter

·
Registered
327 Posts
I see you are sydney, lets chat, join me/us for a club gtg around Sydney and beyond.
We do such trips several times in a year.
Closest to Sydney and some interesting tracks include the one around blue mountains
Singh...sign me up when you intend to go around Sydney the next time :)

·
Learner
5,982 Posts
Singh...sign me up when you intend to go around Sydney the next time :)
You are on, lets aim for early April, day or overnighter

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bion.
If your going to Wombeyan Caves the road from Mittagong is mostly dirt but drivable in a normal car. The road from Goulburn is bitumen all the way.
Nice camping ground by the river (Wollondilly River Station). Say hello to Brian from me.
Feel free to drop in to my place in Bowral for a cuppa.
Stuart.

·
Learner
5,982 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

·
Learner
5,982 Posts
Singh sounds like you need to start a thread....
will do Odessa, when i get some down time in the next weeks whilst in hong kong :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts