Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 09 TDI from the original Florida owner. It was his wife's grocery getter / soccer transporter etc. I've now owned it for just under 2 years.

Yesterday, I took it up to the mountains in Montana and for the first time, transitioned from pavement to rutty gravel road. Immediately upon transitioning from the blacktop, I noticed how hard and abrupt the Treg was taking the bumps, I was a bit surprised how stiff the suspension was -- we were getting quite a bumpy ride. However, after about 15 miles on this unimproved road, it seemed like the suspension had mellowed-out quite a bit and I was able to maintain approximately 35 MPH while enjoying a relatively smooth ride. My passenger noticed this too. She commented on how smooth the ride was -- she barely felt the potholes we were hitting.

So, I'm sort of wondering if maybe the since the springs were off-road virgins, perhaps the 15 miles or so of bumpy ride sort of helped the suspension find its off-road footing so-to-speak? Ran them in? The ride was notably smoother on the return trip over the same ground. In any case, my passenger said that the ride quality on the Forest Service road was smoother than her Dodge Ram was on city streets. So, I guess that's saying something for the Treg! :???:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Was going to say, you must have air and some setting changed...if steel springs then...
I wonder if a progressive damper could change the feel (on steel springs) given consistent bumps. I know such technology exists...just not if the Touareg has it...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
air suspension does get smoother after a while as the damper heats up from the hard work.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For the smoothest drive on bad gravel roads (I do a lot):

• "offroad" level
  • "Comfort" damping

·
Registered
1,856 Posts

• "offroad" level
  • "Comfort" damping
Just be careful. Over 70km/h it will drop back down to normal level (over 125km/h it will dropmore). Under 70km/h it will raise again. If you vary between the speed often you may overheat the pump - it has a thermal cutoff but you don't want it working that hard all the time. It keeps the tanks at 11-16.5 bar iirc.

Alternatively you can use the lock button that will limit the speed to 70km/h.

The manual urges offroad use below 40km/h

Another point to remember is that sporty driving will yield the dampers in "sport" regardless of the rotary dial setting. After a time it will revert back to the selected setting if your driving has calmed down. This could have been the case with the OP.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
so .... how big were these pot holes ?

I wonder if this was your first time off road (as you mention) you were negotiating the terrain the way it should have been .... or .... you put to much faith in the vehicle to do more than it is capable of over a certain terain and speed

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just be careful. Over 70km/h it will drop back down to normal level (over 125km/h it will dropmore). Under 70km/h it will raise again. If you vary between the speed often you may overheat the pump - it has a thermal cutoff but you don't want it working that hard all the time. It keeps the tanks at 11-16.5 bar iirc.

Alternatively you can use the lock button that will limit the speed to 70km/h.

The manual urges offroad use below 40km/h

Another point to remember is that sporty driving will yield the dampers in "sport" regardless of the rotary dial setting. After a time it will revert back to the selected setting if your driving has calmed down. This could have been the case with the OP.
Agree 100%, but when we talk "bad" roads, I assume we are talking less than 70km/h.

Speeds higher than that eliminates "bad" and then I use
  • "Normal" height.
  • "Comfort" damping.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Agree 100%, but when we talk "bad" roads, I assume we are talking less than 70km/h.

Speeds higher than that eliminates "bad" and then I use
  • "Normal" height.
  • "Comfort" damping.
Agreed.

I don't know if I have shared this here but the touareg eats a good gravel road for breakfast.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts

• "offroad" level
  • "Comfort" damping
Plus drop your tyre pressure by 50%....

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
To make it even more fun, turn of the ESP, and steer with the right foot!!!!

:)

Stuart...
ESP never kicked in. But I wouldn't like to initiate a drift at 100km/h+

I have had the touareg sideways at lower speeds and it takes a lot to step out of line. You must be very brave to get it out of line at higher speeds.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Just be careful. Over 70km/h it will drop back down to normal level (over 125km/h it will dropmore). Under 70km/h it will raise again.
My T3 will automatically raise again to 'off-road' height only when speed has reduced to 40 kph or lower. And in 'extra-height' mode, will go back to 'off-road' height when above 20kph - and does not ever automatically return to 'extra-height' mode.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts