Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First fill up with the new Treg. Took a minor detour to visit one of two retail BD stations in greater Boston area.

They don't sell B5 so I took 5 gallons of B20 and then 20 of regular (B0?).

I also wanted to take 5 gallons of B99 in a gas can so I could save a few trips, but the good stuff was already locked up for the night.

Truck seemed to like the stuff, but I nothing to compare. :)

We did get 29 mpg traveling from Cumberland RI (location of the BD retailer, TH Malliy) to NYC. Not bad. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Strange that...I have a label on the inside of my filler flap, installed in the factory, expressly stating NOT to use bio-diesel. I am surprised to see somebody using it.

Stuart...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe up to B5 is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Different motor but mine expressly forbids he use of Biodiesel on the fuel filler. John

·
Super Moderator
9,715 Posts
I have run Bio on mine as well and have not noticed anything bad. I don't do it a lot, but I do put some in occasionally. Some states here are doing nothing but B5 and the pumps no longer seem to say anything about it anymore.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First fill up with the new Treg. Took a minor detour to visit one of two retail BD stations in greater Boston area.
Next time I'm there I'll take a picture with my truck in front of the sign. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here in Il we have few choices and most of it is 11% Bio. I try to use Meier as I read somewhere it is 5% or less but some here are up to 20%. They carve out an exemption in the manual and warranty for Illinois due to this. Doesn't make me feel any better and didn't know this when I bought the car.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here in Il we have few choices and most of it is 11% Bio. I try to use Meier as I read somewhere it is 5% or less but some here are up to 20%. They carve out an exemption in the manual and warranty for Illinois due to this. Doesn't make me feel any better and didn't know this when I bought the car.
Very easy. Splash mix so you don't go over 5%. If you've got a half tank onboard, pull up to the pump, put 4 gallons of B11 in, and then fill with straight diesel. That way you'll end up with something around B5.

Adjust your mix accordingly for different pump sources. I'm going to fill a 5 gallon can with B99 and mix at home (into the tank after filling) as needed.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Meijer does have premium diesel (Golf and Algonquin). Never tried it. I rarely used bio...fairly easy to find non-bio but gotta look. I've got 75k and no issues.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The issue is finding straight diesel. Most of the pumps don't even tell you for sure what the mix is. Most of the stations don't even know. So who sells straight diesel in Illinois for certain?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Fincher, who's 100% non bio diesel are you buying in our area?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Fincher, who's 100% non bio diesel are you buying in our area?
Ernie's Shell on Milwaukee in Vernon Hills, BP at Willow and Saunders, Northbrook. BP in downtown Highland Park. I usually use the first one. I think there a list on another diesel forum but I forgot which one as I am sure there are more.

I do use Stanadyne Performance most of the time and PowerService gray or white in deep freezes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Biodiesel is not compatible with the DPF systems used in modern diesel engines to meet the latest EPA and Carb standards that are behind the current scandal.

In order to heat the DPF for regen, the ecu squirts extra fuel in after the combustion cycle. Regular diesel will vaporize and burn down stream heating the DPF catalyst. Biodiesel does not vaporize as easily and will stick to the cylinder walls and make its way to the oil. Too much biodiesel and too many active regen cycles between oil changes will be problematic. For those who often take long highway drives where exhaust temps will passively regen the DPF, there may be few issues. If you are stuck using biodiesel, watch your oil levels (climbing is bad) and oil quality and perhaps consider more frequent oil changes.

Biodiesel also has a much much shorter shelf life. You don't want it sitting in the stations tank or your own for long. Sometimes you can't control that. Finally, and ironically, biodiesel produces more NOx emissions which means it is not all that green of a green fuel. I would avoid it if at all possible, and do your best to manage it if you can't.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Biodiesel is not compatible with the DPF systems used in modern diesel engines to meet the latest EPA and Carb standards that are behind the current scandal.

In order to heat the DPF for regen, the ecu squirts extra fuel in after the combustion cycle. Regular diesel will vaporize and burn down stream heating the DPF catalyst. Biodiesel does not vaporize as easily and will stick to the cylinder walls and make its way to the oil. Too much biodiesel and too many active regen cycles between oil changes will be problematic. For those who often take long highway drives where exhaust temps will passively regen the DPF, there may be few issues. If you are stuck using biodiesel, watch your oil levels (climbing is bad) and oil quality and perhaps consider more frequent oil changes.

Biodiesel also has a much much shorter shelf life. You don't want it sitting in the stations tank or your own for long. Sometimes you can't control that. Finally, and ironically, biodiesel produces more NOx emissions which means it is not all that green of a green fuel. I would avoid it if at all possible, and do your best to manage it if you can't.
In other words, by using biodiesel we are deliberately violating the emissions testing limits for which the engines were certified. Kind of similar to something called "defeat device". Oops! Don't tell VW.
Oh well, the emissions regulations never passed the common sense test anyway! [sarc]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts