Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I start the T2 it hunts a bit no matter if the idle is up high or down low. It moves up to 200-300 RPM and every now and then you feel the T2 rock back and forth...maybe a miss?

I"m going to change the plugs (140K and no knowledge of when done) but are the coils known to not fire at low RPM ranges when old or going out?

VCDS shows no codes related to engine.

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
Replace the plugs and coils. The coils are infamous for going out and/or getting weak with high mileage. Just consider the coils a wear item.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to follow back up on this for others...

I did just the plugs for now and it runs WAY better. The old plugs didn't look terrible but they were clearly old. The idle hunt and shake is gone.

I don't doubt nickyt's comment on coils being a wear item on VAG products but for now I'm taking the same approach I do with my volvo...and I'll replace them as they come...oh boy...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea coils will throw CEL if misfiring.
So no need to replace them until a code is found or can they fail and not tell you?

I've had other cars where they don't throw any codes and playing musical coils is the only solution (or a full replacement of all).

·
Registered
2006 V8 Touareg AIR, nav, hid
4,436 Posts
Sometimes a cel. Sometimes not a cel. If it is running fine, be happy.
If it starts acting up, you might just get the play the musical coils game.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They do weaken.

If replacing coils, see if the AUDI red top ones fit. HP coils and last longer.
So I take it the reds are swappable between 2.0 engines between Audi/Vw but since Audi doesn't run a VR6 engine it's unknown if there is a length that is compatible. Or are VAG coils...all the same?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK...a follow up for those that find this tread.

1. New plugs made a big different in responsiveness but there was still a idle hesitation and possibly hunting a bit.
2. New ignition coils were added in a couple weeks later and the responsive improved more and the idle hunting after starting seemed to go aways as did the hesitation. Will continue to report back.

These were $17.00 coils (Wells brand) on Amazon. Had VW numbers and such stamped all over them and were indistinguishable from the ones removed which I assumed were OEM. These even had a better gasket design for sealing at the hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts