Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a road trip in my 04 Touareg in the Black hills of South Dakota. I decided to take it just in case it snowed, or if I got onto a low maintenance road, or that was my excuse for taking it anyways. I also wanted to see how it would perform in the hilly and curvy roads up here.

The people I am with have a Ford Explorer and a Mitsubishi Outlander, so I feel like I can have a good comparison of the competition up here in a real life scenario, and I can gladly say that I am quite impressed with my T-reg. Despite the fact that it is a used 04', I think it handled the hills and curves better than my competition.

I also found out what I need to get replaced on my T-reg as well. The valve body in my transmission will need to be replaced. It shifts really hard from 4 to 5 sometimes, which I believe is a key symptom of a failing valve body from what I have read.

I'm still really happy with my T-reg though. I am glad to have purchased it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Colorado Red. Nice.

The valve chest issue is usually a slightly delayed 5th to 4th change at about 38 to 40 mph on a light throttle when the car meets a slight incline.

The THUMP is so hard you think the gearbox must be lying in the road behind you.

The delay is caused by worn bores in the chest.

Do try a gearbox reset to see if it helps.

Turn the ignition on but do NOT start the car.

Press the accelerator pedal firmly to the floor and hold it there for a full 10 seconds.

Release the pedal and turn the ignition off.

Using Tiptronic is a work around if it get really bad.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Good looking red!

This is a slightly funny story and it's on topic. Saturday we were storming through ski country going for a nice ride. When I say ski country I mean hills with extremely tight turns long fields, straight uphill then straight downhill to a 90° turn etc. It's an absolute blast to drive through. at one point a brand new F-350 pulled out in front of us and we were following him for many miles. It was a V8 I think definitely not diesel. now this road we've gone 70 and 80 miles an hour down many times and the Touareg feels absolutely planted like it's on rails. Behind this F-350 we were only going between 40 and 50. it was absolutely insane watching how much this F-350 was bouncing all around and barely staying on the road. I mean it was almost comical, we literally laughed out loud. His tires and axle were going one directionand his bed was flying in a completely different direction and I'm pretty positive there were several instances where the truck was not even touching the pavement it was completely elevated in the air.

This is why I love German craft engineering, it's just incredible how good they are at doing absolutely everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts