Club Touareg Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I installed my coolant heater this weekend as per the FrostHeater instructions. It was a pretty easy install. The only issue I had was one end of the VW coolant hose that is removed for install was fused to the pipe. I had to cut it to get it off.

I lost about 2L of coolant in total. After the install, I topped up the coolant and drove it about 40km. Then I let it cool down and topped up another 500mL.

Heater performance is not quite as strong as I expected. The water temp gauge does not move after running the heater on a cold engine for 3 hours in -26°C ambient. Perhaps the 1500W version would have been a better fit for this engine. But the engine is definitely easier to start, and heats up quicker than without. Only about 5 minutes of driving before the temp gauge starts to move. Remember, this same heater on a 1.9L TDI will bring it up to operating temperature after about 2-3 hours. I had the 1500W version on my 4.2L straight-six Toyota diesel and it would also bring it up to near operating temp.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When I first installed the coolant heater in the V10 I wasn't able to get the coolant to hydronically move the coolant due to the hose routing necessary to mount the heater.
Today, to fix that problem, I installed a spare coolant circulation pump off an Audi S4 that I had parted out a couple years ago.
Its an after-run coolant pump that originally was used to circulate coolant through the Audi's turbo and then through the radiator to prevent heat soak and oil coking in the turbo after the engine is shut off.
It runs on 12VDC so I also installed a AC/DC 12V 1.9A converter to run the pump and tied it into the power wire for the ZeroStart heater. These were all parts pulled from storage.
The pump and heater are installed in the coolant line that feeds #3, #2, and #1 (see picture) and follow the described coolant flow.
The pump is set to draw from the outlet (top of the heater) and push up the heated coolant though to the Webasto & heater core, which then recirculates back to the block at the thermostat housing.
I'm aware the pump wasn't designed to run constant for hrs on end, so I'll be plugging the power cord into a timer to cycle the heater/pump on/off through out the night.
I will report back after tonight's test run in the 20F's.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I installed my coolant heater this weekend as per the FrostHeater instructions. It was a pretty easy install. The only issue I had was one end of the VW coolant hose that is removed for install was fused to the pipe. I had to cut it to get it off.

I lost about 2L of coolant in total. After the install, I topped up the coolant and drove it about 40km. Then I let it cool down and topped up another 500mL.

Heater performance is not quite as strong as I expected. The water temp gauge does not move after running the heater on a cold engine for 3 hours in -26°C ambient. Perhaps the 1500W version would have been a better fit for this engine. But the engine is definitely easier to start, and heats up quicker than without. Only about 5 minutes of driving before the temp gauge starts to move. Remember, this same heater on a 1.9L TDI will bring it up to operating temperature after about 2-3 hours. I had the 1500W version on my 4.2L straight-six Toyota diesel and it would also bring it up to near operating temp.
Scubacruiser, I would have to agree with similar results here. who sell's the 1500W version ?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I bought my first 1500w from Canadian Tire and installed it in a jetta TDI. It was far too much for that size engine, since the coolant heater melted and fused the plug and i had to replace it, which i also bought from a Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I bought a 1500W from Canadian Tire. In the States? Not sure.

·
Registered
448 Posts
posting back with an update on the 1000w heater installed with circulation pump.
Temps have averaged in the teens to single digits here in PA over night.
I've set a timer on the unit to run for up to 5hrs straight with no to little affect on coolant temperature.
While the coolant is warmer than ambient air -above freezing- its not warm when starting up and getting the air blowing out of the vents.
THe coolant gauge doens't budge when started until 3-5 mins of driving and heat isn't noticable for at least 5 minutes of driving.
SO, all in all, the 1000W unit isn't strong enough to warm this beast up given 5hr of run time.
I think I'll remove it and resell to a smaller tdi owner.
It was fun trying.

·
Registered
72 Posts
posting back with an update on the 1000w heater installed with circulation pump.
Temps have averaged in the teens to single digits here in PA over night.
I've set a timer on the unit to run for up to 5hrs straight with no to little affect on coolant temperature.
While the coolant is warmer than ambient air -above freezing- its not warm when starting up and getting the air blowing out of the vents.
THe coolant gauge doens't budge when started until 3-5 mins of driving and heat isn't noticable for at least 5 minutes of driving.
SO, all in all, the 1000W unit isn't strong enough to warm this beast up given 5hr of run time.
I think I'll remove it and resell to a smaller tdi owner.
It was fun trying.
I'm wondering if the coolant isn't getting enough time in the heater, I don't know what the flow rate is on the circulation pump, but it may be pulling it through the heater to fast. You could pigtail a female plug socket into the power lead for the heater then run the timer from there, heater would be on constantly and pump could be timed to run a couple times an hour,

·
Registered
557 Posts
The zerostart coolant heaters don't need a pump, they rely on convection circulation, but the 1000w may not be enough for the v10.

Can you try without the pump, and see what the results are?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I ran a 1500W on a 4.2L, 1kW on a low, wide V10 is definitely not enough.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The zerostart coolant heaters don't need a pump, they rely on convection circulation, but the 1000w may not be enough for the v10.

Can you try without the pump, and see what the results are?
Read back through, I believe I noted that I tried this first and due to the location available, there isn't enough rise to get the coolant moving.
Thats why I installed a pump.
You'd think that after 5 hours of circulation, even if the flow is too quick, that much circulation that long should warm it up somewhat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
try a cold weather package, battery maintainer, interior car warmer, coolant heater. no issues what so ever in manitoba

·
Registered
132 Posts
try a cold weather package, battery maintainer, interior car warmer, coolant heater. no issues what so ever in manitoba

Wow, that's a lot of extra stuff, was hoping for a simpler solution!

As it turns out, super-mild Ontario winter is working out for me this year. Fingers crossed we make it to spring without the usual "air so cold you can hardly breathe it" periods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
While a diesel-fired coolant heater like a Webasto would be the ultimate, for less than a 1/10 of the cost you can get a 1000w plug in coolant heater from Frostheater with detailed instructions. I have one on my wife's Golf TDI and I had one on my LandCruiser diesel. Mine go on timers and turn on about an hour before I go out in the morning (when it's -30°C). Turn on the key and the coolant temperature gauge goes up to operating temperature and it starts like it's summer.

I'll be getting one for my T'reg shortly. There is a cord, but I think all that is installed is an oil pan heater.

http://www.frostheater.com/
did you finnaly install it ?

81 - 96 of 96 Posts