Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, probably have been a hundred threads on this before, but for the first time my Touareg refused to start for me. Granted it was -35C that morning (likely colder overnight) and she hadn't been driven for more than a few blocks the day before, but I've got to admit I was a little disappointed. Also pretty sure my block heater (or is it a coolant heater?) wasn't getting any power. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues given the way winter has been going this year? Also as she is new to me but in reality 3 years old, any advice on whether it might be time for a new battery? Cheers!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Could definitely be the battery, what does the volts show when you turn the key forward?? Very well could be the battery. It's been pretty cold here in Ohio only about -16 so you are colder, but should be still starting strong. Did you try to get it jumped from the terminals under the hood?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi, first go to your closest "Ukrainian Tyre" store and purchase a good battery charger/trickle charger.

It is possible you only have an oil pan heater on that engine and it maybe too small for the oil capacity. Common issue with dealer installed oil pan heaters.

Charge your battery and plug in the "heater". At those temps, it may be a good idea to put in some fuel conditioner.

With a fully charged battery and letting it "cook" for 2-4 hours min, it should spark up.

Yes, it might be a good idea to have the battery tested. The battery needs to be fully charged and whomever tests it should use a good old carbon pile load tester. Have had mixed results with the electronic testers.

You may want to check on installing an Espar heater and fashioning some sort of winter front.

Good luck,
Mick

·
Registered
437 Posts
Yes, it might be a good idea to have the battery tested. The battery needs to be fully charged and whomever tests it should use a good old carbon pile load tester. Have had mixed results with the electronic testers.
X2 on the carbon pile load testers. The newer so called "electronic" testers just don't give the battery a hard cycle to fully test it. You need some heat and smoke to billow out of the tester and be able to taste the air as you crank the knob down to get a good solid real life test of the CCA's.

If the OP has the original battery installed yet, it's probably time to replace. Look for a AGM style battery for better recovery and more CCA's

·
Registered
557 Posts
While at the "Ukranine Tire Store" (lol). pick up some power service. White bottle for use with each fill up, and red for 911s.

I'll need a trickle charger too, though i don't see the temps you get in Winterpeg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses! Yes, managed to get it started with a boost afterwards. Was about three days ago and has been starting "alright" since then, but seems a little slow. Will definitely swing by the "ukranian tire" once I'm in a town around one and pick up a trickle charger (I commute to northern manitoba for work, hence why I would like to get this settled ASAP).
Mickmakin , you don't happen to have an Espar installed do you? Looked into them after you mentioned them and seem great, would love to know what they are cost-wise and how people find they work. Hope everyone is keeping warm out there!

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
In my experience batteries are only good for 3-5 years. I have no patience with batteries so the first time they give me a non start or slow start they are immediately replaced.

Reactions: robertfauchon

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi, I have Espar heaters installed on my Touareg and on the wife's ML350 Bluetec. Price can range from @$2800.00 to @$3800.00 for parts and labour depending on difficulty of installation.

When you check your local Espar dealer(s), ask them if they have a fuel heater to install as well. If they don't contact Polar Mobility in Edmonton, AB. They have fuel heaters.

Yes it is expensive, but once you have one in a vehicle you will not own a vehicle without one!! You will LOVE IT!!

Mick

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
If you're going to add a heater on a Touareg the only way to do it is to add a webasto. On the T3 you can set the timer right through the RNS 850.

Best $1300 I ever spent, I pieced mine together with parts bought on ebay but you can get a retrofit kit here: Retrofit kir parking heater VW Touareg 7P-7P-Standheizung These guys charge $2700 though.

Webasto is the OEM equipment in other parts of the world (was only available here on the V10) It uses diesel fuel to warm the vehicle...no plugging in or other BS. It also runs while the vehicle is running i.e. when your engine is cold and its -25 outside and you are stuck in traffic, your diesel engine can't stay warm. The webasto kicks in and get the coolant up to temp = heat for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nickm, did you do the install yourself for the webasco or did you find someone else to do it for you? Rns850 integration could be pretty sweet :) As an aside picked up a trickle charger and wouldnt charge the battery, so likely time for a new one :s Will have to see what the stealer wants to charge or if I can find the bit to do it myself.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I just did it myself. Its not that tough as its made to specifically fit the Treg.

Best part is the ability to set a timer ie: if you regularly get in your vehicle at 6pm, you can set it to fire up at 545...all through the RNS screen...coolant is nice and warm (as is the engine by that point). instant heat sure is nice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just did it myself. Its not that tough as its made to specifically fit the Treg.

Best part is the ability to set a timer ie: if you regularly get in your vehicle at 6pm, you can set it to fire up at 545...all through the RNS screen...coolant is nice and warm (as is the engine by that point). instant heat sure is nice.
Very interesting, could you please detail how you installed the Webasto? How difficult is it to break into the cooling system to install the Webasto heater. A little tutorial and some pics would be great if you have not done one already :D

·
Registered
125 Posts

Do you know of anyone with the ability to tap the Wabasto into a cell based remote start system like Viper?

I will likely install an Espar on my TDI and have heard it is possible to take a function from a remote start features and use it to start the Espar.
Reason is I need to start the heater from another city 2x/mo before picking up the Touareg at the airport after it has been sitting for a week, sometimes at -35.

·
Registered
1 Posts
espar heater for 2014 tdi

Wanting to install an espar heater on my 2014 tdi, wondering how to access fuel lines and heater lines, is the centre console removable to access lines?

·
Registered
132 Posts

Nick, can you please let us know where you got the parts, which parts you ordered (and $$$ perhaps) and how you went about the install? I'm wondering how difficult and time consuming it is - I have a petrol-head buddy who can help if it's complex.

Just to confirm, you installed a Webasto and it's fully integrated into the RNS and has the remote module?

I'm dreading those -35 days already and this would help a lot!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I recently read an article that described the Anti-Competition Agency in Canada issuing customer rebate orders to Espar and Wabasto for pricing collusion.
Don't know if it was just the dealers or the manufacturers themselves.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently read an article that described the Anti-Competition Agency in Canada issuing customer rebate orders to Espar and Wabasto for pricing collusion.
Don't know if it was just the dealers or the manufacturers themselves.
The eBay used ones are actually fairly reasonably priced, I just don't know the complexity of the install so hoping to get some insight. If it's tens of hours of expert time it makes it less viable.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts