Club Touareg Forum banner

First Alignment - '14 Treg - Still pulls right

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  trdltly 
#1 ·
Treg has a slight pull to the right. Had the alignment done. Still has a slight pull to the right although not as bad.

I had asked for a printout after completion yesterday. They tried to explain the numbers stating how tight this thing was. Today I noticed the "Modified Specifications" in the top right. Is that telling me what I think it is? Could they have modified the specs to make the screen green?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
Judging by how badly your right caster is out, did you smack pot hole or curb at speed? If the right caster is offset that much it will definitely make up pull right.

#5 ·
No smackin' going on here. I bought it this way. We do have some messed up roads here along with miles of logging roads. Who knows what the previous one-owner did for the last 60k mi.

#8 ·
I believe proper rating according to VW is 109H. 109 is weight load and the H is speed rating. The speed rating is actually about tire stiffness which leads to speed. I upgraded to the higher speed rating of V to gain additional stiffness.

My OEM tires, Goodyear, we’re not stiff enough to hold up under the weight and pressure even though they were rated to do so. This is why the pull got worse at higher speed - more flexing of the tire. Can’t tell you why it pulls right, but I’m sure an auto engineer might be able to.

While there is a uniform system of speed, mileage, weight load, tire ratings, etc., no entity is policing the tires or manufacturers. It’s up to each manufacturer to claim their tire meets government standards.

Just my conclusions after working this since I bought it 2 years ago. Tracks perfectly straight with the 109V Michelins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I'm sorry, but the speed ratings you're suggesting solved the tracking of your vehicle have nothing to do with it.
You're talking about 130mph vs 149mph ratings. If your vehicle was pulling, I can guarantee you that you were nowhere near those speeds.... even if you were on a track.

As shown above, the OP has some alignment issues at the very least.....

OP, have your tires measured and compare the results. You should be able to note a different wear pattern if your pull is that significant.

#10 ·
I am not suggesting that OP does not have an alignment issue. I did as well, but fixing my alignment did not solve the problem. I am also not alluding to driving at those rated speeds. My amount of pulling to the right was minimal at 30 mph, but very noticeable at 70 mph. I think you will hear the same from everyone with this issue.
I am not suggesting the speed ratings, but rather the stiffness that comes along with the speed ratings. It’s more likely that the OEM Goodyear tires were not living up to their speed rating (stiffness).

The question needs to be which OEM tire and size is everyone with a problem running on? I have 5,000 miles on the Michelins and we are still good. I put 36,000 on the OEM Goodyear and had 5/32 left of even wear with rotations. It pulled right since the day I bought it with 12,000 miles.
I would like to hear if someone has a problem with 19” or 20” and what brand of tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#11 ·
OP should take his Touareg to a good suspension and alignment shop. Get the front end all in spec is the first step. Check the entire front end suspension for any problems. Replacing the arms and bad bushings is a common Touareg problem. Fix any problems found.

If that does not solve it, then consider a new set of tires. No. I don't know why a tire would pull, but replacing the tires have fixed it for many. Too many to ignore.

Just remember that this vehicle is known to wear out the front end parts.

#13 ·
While I do not know the history of this Treg other than what is displayed in Carfax report, I do know that it was not abused. I was able to see and drive it the day it was brought into the dealership. I am very in tune with my vehicles and actually pay attention, LoL. This one is very tight. It had a very slight pull which was why I took it in. I can't have that in my vehicles. Now that I am hearing of the tire issues I am leaning toward that being the problem. I will rotate it to the back later this week. It is currently in the shop getting the EPA neutering done. :smile2:

#12 ·
#14 ·
Good info for the first gen Treg's. Is the suspension the same throughout? Parts, torque, etc. If so then thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.