Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally took the Treg in to replace the brake pads. After inspection of the rotors the tech said they're good for another go with the new pads.
I decided to with Textar pads all around and Woking wear sensor wires. I'm curious to see what pads were on there.

ForumRunner_20180505_161728.png

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New brakes went in a couple of days ago and I'm following Textar's advice on braking in, or bedding, the new pads. Basically just take it easy for the first 200kms.

I did ask for the old pads back, and to my surprise, they were Pagid made Brembos!!! They still had a bit on them so I didn't need to change them just yet. We'll see now how the Textars compare to the Brembos.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
It shouldnt be a surprise given the number of tines I have posted that Brembo pads are made by PAGID!

However I read elsewhere the other day that Brembo nay have a new/additional supplier.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Or the other way around. Typically Brembo makes pads and rotors for other companies. But it does not matter, Pagid are the best IMO for the touareg. Textar and TRW are good as well, TRW does put off a lot of dust FYI.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Brembo don't have any friction material manufacturing capability to make pads for anyone including themselves.

·
Registered
296 Posts
For whatever it's worth, the OEM front pads that just came out on my 11 VR6 had the shape as the ones in your 09 and also had the Brembo name on them but the DOT code was "FF" and not "GG" like yours. I will try to post a picture in near future.

As it has been pointed out to me by another forum member the T3 platform has different friction material specification than the T2 platform even though the pads are interchangeable mechanically.

If you put the Pagid pads (GG) in your T3 there is a a lot more initial bit when pedal is applied that takes some getting used to.
DOT Pad Codes

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It shouldnt be a surprise given the number of tines I have posted that Brembo pads are made by PAGID!

However I read elsewhere the other day that Brembo nay have a new/additional supplier.
I knew that. My surprise was because the previous owner had installed relatively expensive Brembo pads while going cheap with solid engine mounts instead of the hydraulic type. I didn't even know they made solid mounts for the Touareg till my mechanic buddy told me that's what was on the car and that's why the engine doesn't feel as smooth (they're still new but I plan to swap them out with hydraulics later this summer).

·
Registered
296 Posts
For whatever it's worth, the OEM front pads that just came out on my 11 VR6 had the shape as the ones in your 09 and also had the Brembo name on them but the DOT code was "FF" and not "GG" like yours. I will try to post a picture in near future.
Was able to get some pictures of the pads that were removed from our 11 VR6 and I think they were either original or redone by VW dealer CPO when we bought the Touareg with 43K in June 2014.
These pads are made in USA do I doubt they are made by Pagid and have the DOT "FF" rating.
[/url]Touareg_Front Pads_3 by Robert Prato, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]Touareg_Front Pads_2 by Robert Prato, on Flickr[/IMG]
The part # on this pad (7L6.615.115.H) does not match up to VW parts base P/N for this car (7P6-698-151-F), is it possible this pad is made exclusively for VW in US and supplied to Brembo in Europe to be put into the caliper assembly they supply the plant that makes the Touareg ?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Was able to get some pictures of the pads that were removed from our 11 VR6 and I think they were either original or redone by VW dealer CPO when we bought the Touareg with 43K in June 2014.
These pads are made in USA do I doubt they are made by Pagid and have the DOT "FF" rating.
[/url]Touareg_Front Pads_3 by Robert Prato, on Flickr[/IMG]
Touareg_Front Pads_2" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Touareg_Front Pads_2" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Touareg_Front Pads_2" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

[/url]Touareg_Front Pads_2 by Robert Prato, on Flickr[/IMG]
Touareg_Front Pads_3" media="(max-width: 640px)"> Touareg_Front Pads_3" media="(max-width: 960px)"> Touareg_Front Pads_3" media="(max-width: 1920px)">

The part # on this pad (7L6.615.115.H) does not match up to VW parts base P/N for this car (7P6-698-151-F), is it possible this pad is made exclusively for VW in US and supplied to Brembo in Europe to be put into the caliper assembly they supply the plant that makes the Touareg ?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I knew that. My surprise was because the previous owner had installed relatively expensive Brembo pads while going cheap with solid engine mounts instead of the hydraulic type. I didn't even know they made solid mounts for the Touareg till my mechanic buddy told me that's what was on the car and that's why the engine doesn't feel as smooth (they're still new but I plan to swap them out with hydraulics later this summer).
Problem is there is too much aftermarket junk out there for all Vw's. I sell parts for a different brand and there is not a lot of aftermarket with those but the solid mounts offered always suck. I always recommend the hydraulic OEM to my customers. Solid mounts make the vehicle definitely vibrate more and end up failing sooner. I always say stick to OEM parts, especially in the VAG market. Pay more for the proper and more quality of part. Even my mechanic friend who works on high end cars and worked on Ferrari race team always says stick with OEM with VAG.

My point about Brembo and I should have been more clear but Brembo makes rotors/parts for most OEM's to Aftermarket white box.

Anyway, stick with OEM parts or OEM Manuf. in plain box or marked (i.e, TRW, Lemforder (DE), etc...). Most aftermarket are junk (i.e, Meyle).

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I think it unlikely pads would be shipped from the US to Germany and then back again in the finished car - but who knows how the supply chain works these days!

I see that Nisshimbo owns TMD which owns PAGID, and there is a friction material manufacturing plant in Troy, Michigan, which appears to be for motorsports but perhaps they also manufacture road car pads too.

I was also curious about the letters ZNS on the pads and Goggle tells me this is zinc sulphide - a lubricant that apparently improves the lives of both the pads and the rotors!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it unlikely pads would be shipped from the US to Germany and then back again in the finished car - but who knows how the supply chain works these days!

I see that Nisshimbo owns TMD which owns PAGID, and there is a friction material manufacturing plant in Troy, Michigan, which appears to be for motorsports but perhaps they also manufacture road car pads too.

I was also curious about the letters ZNS on the pads and Goggle tells me this is zinc sulphide - a lubricant that apparently improves the lives of both the pads and the rotors!
It is entirely possible for a giant like VW to do something like that. VW builds Jettas and Beetles and Audi A3s and I think also A4s in Mexico from parts that are shipped there from all over the world, then exports these vehicles all over the world. I know because I worked for a year in VW's Puebla, Mexico plant in 2002/2003 when they were just getting ready to reveal the New Beetle convertible. I still remember all the security in the plant around the convertible's production line and one time a VW driver drove one by mistake, right in front of me, out of the production area which was obscured by some translucent plastic and a security guard jumped and shouted at him to go back! That was the first time I had seen the convertible and it looked exactly like I had suspected, a Beetle without a roof.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Brembo supplies a "Loaded" Caliper to the VAG Plant manufacturing the Touareg that meets the specification that the VAG engineers have for those parts, it is possible the friction material is proprietary and they found a friction material plant in the US to manufacture for them at the most competitive price they could find world wide. The specification that Brembo has for the pad probably calls out for their name to be on the pad and not the actual manufacturer and all the other markings you see in my pictures.

The 7L6.615 if searched on internet gets you rotor and caliper parts for VW's, that is what makes me think the 7L6.615.115.H is actually a sub P/N of the loaded caliper Brembo supplies to VAG plant making the Touareg.

I think biggest difference between this pad shape that was in T2's and T3's is the DOT Coefficient of Friction (C.F.) rating changed from "GG" to "FF" for the T3 Touareg.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Which variation Pagid Pads to order?

I’ve looked on EuroParts and looked at Pagid, but there seems to be multiple variations of the types you can have, just for Pagid and for my specific model. How do you know which ones to order please?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah this drove me crazy for a while too, especially that the sticker in the back of the spare tire area on my car is illegible. And that's where you should start. Look at that sticker and find out which brakes you have. I see you have a 2009 like I do, so you may have the same "1LE" front and "1KF" rear setup on 330mm discs. This will make it easier now to choose the pads, based on this information.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Every owner should call in at their VW dealer and ask them to print off the build sheets, also known as the data sheets, for their car.

Several pages of useful info which greatly flesh out the codes sticker in the boot / trunk!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I’ve looked on EuroParts and looked at Pagid, but there seems to be multiple variations of the types you can have, just for Pagid and for my specific model. How do you know which ones to order please?
Don't forget you need to measure the thickness of the discs before fitting pads to see if the discs are still serviceable as the wear tolerance is very small - 1mm either side on the fronts and it may be 2mm on the rear but you'll need to check as I can't remember exactly.

A few people get away with two sets of pads to one set of discs, but the norm is to change discs and pads together.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Don't forget you need to measure the thickness of the discs before fitting pads to see if the discs are still serviceable as the wear tolerance is very small - 1mm either side on the fronts and it may be 2mm on the rear but you'll need to check as I can't remember exactly.

A few people get away with two sets of pads to one set of discs, but the norm is to change discs and pads together.

I used Textars from EuropaParts to replace my front pads on my T3. Textar is an OEM supplier for VAG.

$145 for front pads, sensors, and new hardware. Always replace the hardware (pins and springs).

Discs were fine, and mic’d within limits. Warning light came on at 78K miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Nisshimbo owns TMD which owns Textar, Mintex, Don, Pagid and a couple of other friction material manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts