Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were out in the middle of know where over the weekend doing some camping and hiking. We ended up getting a good sized gash in one of the rear tires.....too big to make a plug work. The only choice we had was to use the VW spare......what a nightmare!!

I was able to get the pump hooked up to it and started pumping it up, but for some reason, there was a section of tire that wasn't seated on the bead very well...and it kept leaking out air as fast as the pump put it in. After using a large screwdriver to pry around on different areas of the tire, I was able to get it to seat good enough to start building pressure....and then it finally started pumping up. It took almost two hours before we were rolling again.

I was shocked how sub-par the spare was after we got it all inflated.......I'm surprised it lasted on the long trip home. The tire is so thin, you can press on it with one finger and get it to flex pretty easily.

For such an offroad capable machine....why did VW give the Touareg's such a horrible option for a spare tire?? :mad: If you were out some seriously rough trails.....I'd be surprised if it would even last a mile before it was popped by a piece of gravel.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sadly the spare on the back wasn't an option in the US :(

-J

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love a full sized spare......but where would you put it? When we go on trips we have our storage box up on the roof racks, so it wouldn't fit up there. I saw that VW sells a rear swing out spare tire holder for the back, but its was something like $3,000 if I remember right....and it looks like crap.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The Touareg is a an urban4x4 intended for MILFs.

For that purpose, the blow-up doll, sorry, spare wheel, is perfectly serviceable.

For out in the boondocks, it's not.

In some markets, there was no spare offered at all at various times in the life of the T3, just a bottle of gung!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I would love a full sized spare......but where would you put it? When we go on trips we have our storage box up on the roof racks, so it wouldn't fit up there. I saw that VW sells a rear swing out spare tire holder for the back, but its was something like $3,000 if I remember right....and it looks like crap.
VW don't sell a swing-out spare wheel carrier as such - that could only be optioned at the point of ordering the car from the factory.

If you wanted to retrofit that option you would need an awful lot of very expensive new parts unless you managed to find a front-ended write-off with an undamaged bustle back.

But it is FUGLY!!

Others have made up a towball mounted swinger for a full sized spare.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dumb question here: Does anyone know if they are considered one-time-use? I'd like to inflate mine up to check it, but I don't want to reduce the chance of it working again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
actually a good question. A assume it is multiple use.

With my new VW Goodwill 36000 mile roadside assist, I'll let VW sweat the details for the first 72000 miles!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Dumb question here: Does anyone know if they are considered one-time-use? I'd like to inflate mine up to check it, but I don't want to reduce the chance of it working again.
Multiple use as long as you're not doing thousands of miles on it!

WARNING:

When you deflate it, do so on a HARD surface where there is no gravel or dirt to get caught up,

AND

KEEP YOUR KIDS and YOUR HANDS away from the folding rubber - it takes no prisoners.

As a community service though, do get the village idiot to come along and watch the deflation exercise as it will definitely keep them amused for a few minutes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Touareg is a an urban4x4 intended for MILFs.

For that purpose, the blow-up doll, sorry, spare wheel, is perfectly serviceable.

For out in the boondocks, it's not.

In some markets, there was no spare offered at all at various times in the life of the T3, just a bottle of gung!
Never thought I would have seen a comment like that from someone on this site......

·
Registered
454 Posts
actually a good question. A assume it is multiple use.

With my new VW Goodwill 36000 mile roadside assist, I'll let VW sweat the details for the first 72000 miles!
After looking at the spare and worse, the jack, I was considering taking it out and storing it in the barn for at least the first 72,000 miles and making use of the storage space and easier add blue access.

It seems like it would be safer and easier to call for help and have someone come with a full size tire and proper tools, and probably quicker too!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's another thing I forgot to mention.....the jack is so flimsy that its dangerous! I think that if it would have taken me another minute to get the spare on, the jack would have collapsed under the weight of the car. The little jack for my mini cooper is more solid looking than the one in the Touareg. With all of the engineering that went into these things......I guess they ran out of money to spend much time working on the spare and jack.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Unfortunately you will not find a tow service with the tire you need, guarantee that. It will be hard enough to go to a good tire shop that has them in stock. Scares me to death on a really long trip. Pray for a nail in the tread and use a plug.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The jack is perfectly adequate and so is the spare for normal road use. At least you can change the ruddy wheel unlike the MILFs. Stop whingeing!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Unfortunately you will not find a tow service with the tire you need, guarantee that. It will be hard enough to go to a good tire shop that has them in stock. Scares me to death on a really long trip. Pray for a nail in the tread and use a plug.
Sure I will, it is called my wife! "Honey can you bring me one of the (snow/summer) tires and the jack?" The long trip is a bit of an issue, but you can always sit it on a proper jack stand while you get a tire mounted to the real wheel. I don't think I would plan on driving too far or too fast on the spare anyway.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The jack is perfectly adequate and so is the spare for normal road use. At least you can change the ruddy wheel unlike the MILFs. Stop whingeing!
Where are all these MILFs you speak of? Pictures please! Around here they are far more likely to be in a Buick Enclave or Audi Q7. And, the ones who do drive a Touareg could probably change a tire just as well as the men on the forum.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep....good luck finding any tire shop that stocks a 275/45/19......

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Where are all these MILFs you speak of? Pictures please! Around here they are far more likely to be in a Buick Enclave or Audi Q7. And, the ones who do drive a Touareg could probably change a tire just as well as the men on the forum.
Have you not met my chauffeuse . . . ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts