Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow "eggers"

I finally got into a Touareg. Specifically a 2008 3.6 v6, lux package. Not too many luxury options - more like a base version.

I absolutely enjoy driving the car, however, I have noticed a very loud vibration/humming sound at highway speeds, especially over 40mph, and it gets louder as I get faster. Just a subtle vibration that feels like a vibration feature on a massage chair, however, it makes driving fairly uncomfortable. I can feel the vibration on steering wheel, and everywhere else on the car.

Drive shaft was replaced in 2013 by previous owner, brand new tires installed 2 months ago.

There is a slight thump sometimes when I step on the gas pedal or when I let go of it, almost as it does when your motor or trans mounts are shot. I have checked and the mounts all appear to be in good shape.

Any ideas of what I could be experiencing? From reading the forums these seem to be possible causes:
1) Wheel balancing - roadforce balancing may fix issue
2) Drive Shaft
3) Transfer Case
4) Wheel bearings - These do no appear to be the issue as the sound does not change whether I turn the wheel or not.

I would almost prefer this to be a drive shaft issue because my friend's shop could have one installed relatively cheaply, and the part is relatively inexpensive compared to the transfer case.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds similar to an issue I had about 6 or so months ago: I'd have a high-pitched squeel/vibration at over-40mph speeds only. I hopped under the truck and felt the center drive shaft bearing for any damage - felt no damage to the part, however it was INCREDIBLY dry. I put some white lithium grease all around it and voila! 15 miles down the road and I was back with my quiet, smooth ride. I'd give this a whirl first as it's a ~$5 potential solution. I'm not as much of a gearhead as some of these wonderful people so I'd also listen to the veterans here, they've saved me tons of money with simple solutions!

Hope you figure it out!
Tristan

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
If you are careful you can gently ease the side cover of the centre bearing bearing and press grease in to it.

There's a photo, either on here or on www.mytreg.com

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes, what Nooby said^. My center bearing was very dry and needed a bit of grease. If I recall, two covers inner and outer to physically see the ball bearings and their condition. Be careful (if you have the Vertex solution) not to get grease on the outside bearing housing (where the Vertex clamps around the bearing). Long story, just don't do it.

I would also be suspicious of the the drive shaft balance seeing as the previous owner replaced it once already. Even when my center bearing was dry, I didn't have a vibration of enough magnitude to rattle the tiller. However, I did have a loud bearing squeaky noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as an update in case others out there are having a similar issue. I took the car to 2 high end shops and the first one suspected the vibration was a tire issue. Had all tires balanced and rotated.

Still had the obnoxious vibrations on freeway.

Then I took it to another shop. He checked drive shaft and there was no play and everything looked good. Shaft was replaced in 2013.

What we did discover was that one of the wheels was out of round. Have ordered a new wheel and waiting for it to arrive. I'll update if that fixes the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just as an update in case others out there are having a similar issue. I took the car to 2 high end shops and the first one suspected the vibration was a tire issue. Had all tires balanced and rotated.

Still had the obnoxious vibrations on freeway.

Then I took it to another shop. He checked drive shaft and there was no play and everything looked good. Shaft was replaced in 2013.

What we did discover was that one of the wheels was out of round. Have ordered a new wheel and waiting for it to arrive. I'll update if that fixes the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Another update: Bought a new wheel and replaced it - vibration continues. I have excessive shake on the wheel when braking, it has been determined the rotors are warped. I will be replacing all 4 rotors and pads this weekend. Perhaps, this may be somewhat of a cause for the vibrations.

My next plan of action is an alignment. If that doesn't work, then I may resort to having the drive shaft replaced, as it could possibly be out of balance.

Will keep updated, for the sake of those who may have similar symptoms.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What I would have done at this point is dangerous, but it has helped me before (please have your professional mechanic do it for you while you watch from a safe distance). Seriously.

In the past with difficult to trace issues / vibrations I have put my car on a professional shop lift and had a helper run the car through the gears while I listened beside and below for the culprit. Turning the car off in neutral to delete all engine noise...

For example I had an 88' Jetta with a terrible bearing noise. With the car running in gear above me I could very clearly hear it coming from the transmission housing (differential was near shot) via a screwdriver held against the housing and held close to my ear...

The thought here is to oscillate the noise to a component. Versus throwing money at it.

Like I said, this isn't for the faint of heart and you need to know what you are doing because if you touch the wrong thing it can kill you. Plan every move before doing it "live" including where you will walk and what you will touch. I can not emphasize this enough.

I would listed to the mounting plate below the center main bearing.
The rear differential.
The front differential.
The bottom most suspension component of each wheel...as far away from the wheel as you can safely get. All fixed components that do not rotate.

If drive line related the center plate, rear and front differentials would be louder than the bottom most suspension components.

A rotor or rotors would either be more on one wheel or on all wheels versus the drive line and differentials.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Another update: Bought a new wheel and replaced it - vibration continues. I have excessive shake on the wheel when braking, it has been determined the rotors are warped. I will be replacing all 4 rotors and pads this weekend. Perhaps, this may be somewhat of a cause for the vibrations.

My next plan of action is an alignment. If that doesn't work, then I may resort to having the drive shaft replaced, as it could possibly be out of balance.

Will keep updated, for the sake of those who may have similar symptoms.
It is unusual for discs / rotors to warp.

You can check for this by measuring run out with a magnetic micrometer. Have you done this?

Then again, as I type, perhaps your rotor's are worn out. Have you checked remaining rotor thickness as the wear tolerance is just 2mm total?

And, again as I type, I am thinking calipers - are the calipers functioning correctly or is one or more of the pistons sticking? Indeed make this the first port of call!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 3.6 and I'm having a vibration at all speeds. Now how I know that it's at all speeds is because on a smooth road, I have a water bottle in the cup holder. Anything over 10ish mph, makes the water resonant, the faster the more it resonates. When I apply the brakes, it smooths out a bit. I can feel the vibration in the floor board by the pedals, as well as the seats. I've had the newish goodyears road force balanced 4 times, and I'm still getting the vibration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts