Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I went through a similar situation with some value tires I purchased for 08 Passat I owned, basically out of round from factory so were never going to run smooth at highway speeds.
Look at the Toyo Open Country QT, put a set on the 19" for our Touareg we use late Spring to Fall and they have turned out to be a really nice tire at a fair price.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Checked Discount Tires website. Saw they had Nokian WR G3 SUV tires that they list as "best" Link below. They want $277/each.

Went to Tires Easy website. They have the same exact tire. They want $102.39/each. Link below. I'm going to use Discount Tires instant price match link and see what they'll do.

That's a huge price difference, make sure you inspect the tires when they arrive.

I bought a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx last year from Simple Tires, they were $200 cheaper per tire than anyone else. When they showed up, the manufacturing date read 07. yep, I had to triple check to believe my eyes... it's mind blowing that they think 11 year old tires are new... They take free return if the tires are older than 4 years, but it's more hassle and can really hurt someone who wasn't paying attention. I guess the old saying still applies... if it's too good to be ture....you know the rest...

The tires I got from Discount Tires are less than 1 year old.

Some of these website are merely a web portal for individual sellers, they have no warehouse and no quality control.

That being said, if you could make Discount tires to do a price match, that's a win.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's a huge price difference, make sure you inspect the tires when they arrive.

I bought a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx last year from Simple Tires, they were $200 cheaper per tire than anyone else. When they showed up, the manufacturing date read 07. yep, I had to triple check to believe my eyes... it's mind blowing that they think 11 year old tires are new... They take free return if the tires are older than 4 years, but it's more hassle and can really hurt someone who wasn't paying attention. I guess the old saying still applies... if it's too good to be ture....you know the rest...

The tires I got from Discount Tires are less than 1 year old.

Some of these website are merely a web portal for individual sellers, they have no warehouse and no quality control.

That being said, if you could make Discount tires to do a price match, that's a win.
Discount Tire did get back to me. They said they would get me the tires for $102/each. Beating Tire Easy by .39. If I do decide to go with them I will definitely check the date code on all of them before they installed.
TBH I'm thinking of getting the other wheel changed out in a couple of weeks, then making an appointment with the closest Discount Tire for them to do a RFB on them. If they can't get the #'s lower then I'll pull the trigger on the Nokians. I like the Nokians tread pattern and that the UTQG is 600.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I went through a similar situation with some value tires I purchased for 08 Passat I owned, basically out of round from factory so were never going to run smooth at highway speeds.
Look at the Toyo Open Country QT, put a set on the 19" for our Touareg we use late Spring to Fall and they have turned out to be a really nice tire at a fair price.
Only thing is Discount Tire doesn't offer them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Worth looking around to see who does in your area, use the Tire-Easy online price to negotiate
I paid $210 each at my VW Service Department and only $80 for mounting and balancing

·
Registered
291 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discount Tire did get back to me. They said they would get me the tires for $102/each. Beating Tire Easy by .39. If I do decide to go with them I will definitely check the date code on all of them before they installed.
TBH I'm thinking of getting the other wheel changed out in a couple of weeks, then making an appointment with the closest Discount Tire for them to do a RFB on them. If they can't get the #'s lower then I'll pull the trigger on the Nokians. I like the Nokians tread pattern and that the UTQG is 600.
This is valuable info! I will definitely hunt for the lowest price online next time and bring it to discount tires.

gotta love competitions

·
Registered
460 Posts
Amazon has Toyo Open Country Q/T 's for 121.56 a tire so I just ordered a set to replace the noisy worn Verdes that are on the truck now.

Only thing is I don't see the XL rating on these from Amazon. I think that's a requirement for tires on our Tregs.
Let us know when you get them if they have it on the sidewall.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Only thing is I don't see the XL rating on these from Amazon. I think that's a requirement for tires on our Tregs.
Let us know when you get them if they have it on the sidewall.
The 265/50/19 110V is only available in "XL" Load Rating, look at the Toyo website

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm really interested to see the DOT dates but since these have only been out for a couple of years it shouldn't be a big deal. I don't know if this is a pricing mistake or not but a few years ago I bought 12 sets of Two Brothers motorcycle slipon exhausts for 150-175 bucks apiece !

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wow, that means they were manufactured mid July, those are Brand New ! Do they say "Made in USA" ?
The ones I got a few months ago balanced up with very little weight and have been a smooth/quiet riding tire that handle great ! I was happy paying $960 mounted and balanced but you got the deal of the Year.
Tire prices on Amazon seem to be really low for some reason ? I ordered a set of Cooper tires for my daughter's Jetta last Friday and they were about $10 less each tire than my usual online source for tires.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wow, that means they were manufactured mid July, those are Brand New ! Do they say "Made in USA" ?
The ones I got a few months ago balanced up with very little weight and have been a smooth/quiet riding tire that handle great ! I was happy paying $960 mounted and balanced but you got the deal of the Year.
Tire prices on Amazon seem to be really low for some reason ? I ordered a set of Cooper tires for my daughter's Jetta last Friday and they were about $10 less each tire than my usual online source for tires.
You got me worried they gonna come back and pick em up !

IMG_20190827_212151884[1].jpg

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well being that your tires received were made this year and in the USA I decided to grab a set.
I'll have these put on and then see if the Atturo AZ850's I just bought can be sent back due to them not being able to be Roadforce balanced with low #'s. If not I'll Craiglist 'em.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had the Toyo's installed yesterday at the local NTB. They didn't have a RFB so I told them to line up the yellow dots to the stems. No vibrations @ 80 mph so that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Checked Discount Tires website. Saw they had Nokian WR G3 SUV tires that they list as "best" Link below. They want $277/each.

Went to Tires Easy website. They have the same exact tire. They want $102.39/each. Link below. I'm going to use Discount Tires instant price match link and see what they'll do.

I called my local Discount, they have the Nokian WRG3 for $215 each. They said the $102.39 was a bridge too far. They suggested I order the tires online and bring them in for mounting.

If I end up with the Nokian I will be using them as a year round tire. The wife puts about 7K miles on the Touareg annually.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
10 Participants
New2Tregs
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing