Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I went through a similar situation with some value tires I purchased for 08 Passat I owned, basically out of round from factory so were never going to run smooth at highway speeds.
Look at the Toyo Open Country QT, put a set on the 19" for our Touareg we use late Spring to Fall and they have turned out to be a really nice tire at a fair price.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Checked Discount Tires website. Saw they had Nokian WR G3 SUV tires that they list as "best" Link below. They want $277/each.

Went to Tires Easy website. They have the same exact tire. They want $102.39/each. Link below. I'm going to use Discount Tires instant price match link and see what they'll do.

That's a huge price difference, make sure you inspect the tires when they arrive.

I bought a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx last year from Simple Tires, they were $200 cheaper per tire than anyone else. When they showed up, the manufacturing date read 07. yep, I had to triple check to believe my eyes... it's mind blowing that they think 11 year old tires are new... They take free return if the tires are older than 4 years, but it's more hassle and can really hurt someone who wasn't paying attention. I guess the old saying still applies... if it's too good to be ture....you know the rest...

The tires I got from Discount Tires are less than 1 year old.

Some of these website are merely a web portal for individual sellers, they have no warehouse and no quality control.

That being said, if you could make Discount tires to do a price match, that's a win.

·
Registered
513 Posts
That's a huge price difference, make sure you inspect the tires when they arrive.

I bought a set of Dunlop Sport Maxx last year from Simple Tires, they were $200 cheaper per tire than anyone else. When they showed up, the manufacturing date read 07. yep, I had to triple check to believe my eyes... it's mind blowing that they think 11 year old tires are new... They take free return if the tires are older than 4 years, but it's more hassle and can really hurt someone who wasn't paying attention. I guess the old saying still applies... if it's too good to be ture....you know the rest...

The tires I got from Discount Tires are less than 1 year old.

Some of these website are merely a web portal for individual sellers, they have no warehouse and no quality control.

That being said, if you could make Discount tires to do a price match, that's a win.
Discount Tire did get back to me. They said they would get me the tires for $102/each. Beating Tire Easy by .39. If I do decide to go with them I will definitely check the date code on all of them before they installed.
TBH I'm thinking of getting the other wheel changed out in a couple of weeks, then making an appointment with the closest Discount Tire for them to do a RFB on them. If they can't get the #'s lower then I'll pull the trigger on the Nokians. I like the Nokians tread pattern and that the UTQG is 600.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I went through a similar situation with some value tires I purchased for 08 Passat I owned, basically out of round from factory so were never going to run smooth at highway speeds.
Look at the Toyo Open Country QT, put a set on the 19" for our Touareg we use late Spring to Fall and they have turned out to be a really nice tire at a fair price.
Only thing is Discount Tire doesn't offer them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Worth looking around to see who does in your area, use the Tire-Easy online price to negotiate
I paid $210 each at my VW Service Department and only $80 for mounting and balancing

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discount Tire did get back to me. They said they would get me the tires for $102/each. Beating Tire Easy by .39. If I do decide to go with them I will definitely check the date code on all of them before they installed.
TBH I'm thinking of getting the other wheel changed out in a couple of weeks, then making an appointment with the closest Discount Tire for them to do a RFB on them. If they can't get the #'s lower then I'll pull the trigger on the Nokians. I like the Nokians tread pattern and that the UTQG is 600.
This is valuable info! I will definitely hunt for the lowest price online next time and bring it to discount tires.

gotta love competitions

·
Registered
513 Posts
Amazon has Toyo Open Country Q/T 's for 121.56 a tire so I just ordered a set to replace the noisy worn Verdes that are on the truck now.

Only thing is I don't see the XL rating on these from Amazon. I think that's a requirement for tires on our Tregs.
Let us know when you get them if they have it on the sidewall.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Only thing is I don't see the XL rating on these from Amazon. I think that's a requirement for tires on our Tregs.
Let us know when you get them if they have it on the sidewall.
The 265/50/19 110V is only available in "XL" Load Rating, look at the Toyo website

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm really interested to see the DOT dates but since these have only been out for a couple of years it shouldn't be a big deal. I don't know if this is a pricing mistake or not but a few years ago I bought 12 sets of Two Brothers motorcycle slipon exhausts for 150-175 bucks apiece !

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wow, that means they were manufactured mid July, those are Brand New ! Do they say "Made in USA" ?
The ones I got a few months ago balanced up with very little weight and have been a smooth/quiet riding tire that handle great ! I was happy paying $960 mounted and balanced but you got the deal of the Year.
Tire prices on Amazon seem to be really low for some reason ? I ordered a set of Cooper tires for my daughter's Jetta last Friday and they were about $10 less each tire than my usual online source for tires.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow, that means they were manufactured mid July, those are Brand New ! Do they say "Made in USA" ?
The ones I got a few months ago balanced up with very little weight and have been a smooth/quiet riding tire that handle great ! I was happy paying $960 mounted and balanced but you got the deal of the Year.
Tire prices on Amazon seem to be really low for some reason ? I ordered a set of Cooper tires for my daughter's Jetta last Friday and they were about $10 less each tire than my usual online source for tires.
You got me worried they gonna come back and pick em up !

IMG_20190827_212151884[1].jpg

·
Registered
513 Posts
Well being that your tires received were made this year and in the USA I decided to grab a set.
I'll have these put on and then see if the Atturo AZ850's I just bought can be sent back due to them not being able to be Roadforce balanced with low #'s. If not I'll Craiglist 'em.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had the Toyo's installed yesterday at the local NTB. They didn't have a RFB so I told them to line up the yellow dots to the stems. No vibrations @ 80 mph so that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Checked Discount Tires website. Saw they had Nokian WR G3 SUV tires that they list as "best" Link below. They want $277/each.

Went to Tires Easy website. They have the same exact tire. They want $102.39/each. Link below. I'm going to use Discount Tires instant price match link and see what they'll do.

I called my local Discount, they have the Nokian WRG3 for $215 each. They said the $102.39 was a bridge too far. They suggested I order the tires online and bring them in for mounting.

If I end up with the Nokian I will be using them as a year round tire. The wife puts about 7K miles on the Touareg annually.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts