Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is this a single brand tire or does it appear to use a mold from another company?
Where did you buy from?
Does it have any UTQG info listed? Load range?

·
Registered
291 Posts
That looks like a high performance summer tire which works if you don't get cooler temperatures like here in the NE.

I just put a set of Toyo Open Country QT tires on our 2011 VR6 Lux to replace Michelin's that were on there, without installation the 265/50/19 110V XL tires ran me $836, a lot less than a new set of Michelin's and ride smooth and quiet with good handling. Don't know about cool weather performance on wet roads yet and have dedicated winter rim/tire package so won't be using in the snow but I think they would perform well based on comments from VW service provider of the good feedback he has gotten from other Touareg owners who run them all year round.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I just had a set of these installed about two weeks ago. I went with 285/45/19 size. Under $500 delivered. They are very quiet on the road. The rating was 285/45R19XL 111Y BSW. UTQ- 320. I only use these for Summer anyway.
Only problem is the shop "wheel balancing expert" couldn't get the roadforce # on three of the tires/wheels to anything less than 45... 49 at the highest one. The one tire/wheel he got to 24 and it's my original wheel which is bent (story on this below). He blames the tires. Says they're garbage. I don't think he knows how to properly roadforce balance them because when I brought it back for him to check he never used a caliper to find the high/low spots on the tire and match it to the low/high spots on the wheels. He just added more weights saying they were off. Never broke the bead to spin the tires around.
So I now have the dreaded SWS from 60mph and up. I pulled the wheels off the vehicle and remounted them per the VW TSB and it's still the same. Not too many places where I'm at that have a Roadforce balancer that are willing to do it right. I went through this when I had my last tires installed. Even was asked to leave one place because I asked them to follow the VW TSB.

So the story... I had them installed on a set of 19" VW Everest wheels I got from a seller on Ebay ($700 delivered) that were in like brand new condition albiet a couple of very small nicks. The shop mounted them and accidentally knocked over a tire before mounting it scratching up the face of the wheel. They sent it out to be "Professionally refinished". It had imperfections that looked like overspray when it came back, so I told them to send it back. They did but the owner of the shop said they're now done working on my Treg. I'm too picky for them I guess.

So now I've gotta' get the 1 wheel swapped out with my old one and find someone willing to do the Roadforce balance correctly. Looks like I'll be driving with the SWS for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just put a set of Atturo AZ850's on a 2012 Lux we just got in. Incredible tire for the money, very quiet, and super affordable for the size.
I had heard about the Atturos from a Chrysler 300 group, they love them but at that time no one had had them on long enough to make a comment on the wear factor.

I was going to give them a go, I'm not afraid of trying something off brand if other people have tried it. I was one of the first to buy Yokohama here when it was still cheap and unknown. The alternative was T/A radials
so there was no risk.

·
Registered
612 Posts
UTQ- 320. I only use these for Summer anyway.
Only problem is the shop "wheel balancing expert" couldn't get the roadforce # on three of the tires/wheels to anything less than 45... 49 at the highest one. The one tire/wheel he got to 24 and it's my original wheel which is bent (story on this below). He blames the tires. Says they're garbage. I don't think he knows how to properly roadforce balance them because when I brought it back for him to check he never used a caliper to find the high/low spots on the tire and match it to the low/high spots on the wheels. He just added more weights saying they were off. Never broke the bead to spin the tires around.
With a wear rating like that I wouldn't be expecting much mileage out of them. But then if you take them off for winter it's not a bad thing otherwise you might end up keeping them for too long and they'll just age and go to waste.
Do you have a system for storing tyres over winter? I was thinking putting them in a huge garbage bag, evacuating as much air as possible then maybe pressurising the bag with an inert gas - helium, nitrogen maybe. Or am I overthinking this?

I just got a set of Goodride tyres for the standard rims on my T1.
They had a red dot and a white paint dot on the sidewall.
I know some tyre manufacturers put dots on the sidewall as a fitting guide so I wrote to Goodride and got this reply,

"The white dot is where we recommend to fit to valve, the red dot shows the heaviest part of the tyre."

So I fitted them up this way and they spin beautifully with no weight.

A bit more about these tyres: SU 318s 255/60R17 ; compared to Goodyear Effecient Grip and Pirelli Scorpians; at 40psi they ride great and are quiet. Roadfeel is good without being tiring. Quiet too, even more than expected.
Braking in both wet and dry is good.
Handling in both wet and dry is good.
I don't know about wear yet but they have a UTQG rating of 500.

They are definitely a road tyre, not even an A/T I'd say but they'd go on sand and gravel ok.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The RoadForce # is the indication of how out of round they are, you can't balance that out. The machine finds the high spot of the rim and high spot of the tire and gives the tech with a laser beam reading where to mount the tire on the rim to offset the two high spots to minimize the out of round condition.
My experience is shops buy these RoadForce balancers and don't use them as designed, they just want to mount the tire on the rim, put on RF balancer and put the required weights on and call it a day !
If you have high 40's RF #'s and the rims are true you need new tires, never going to get those to run smooth. I know from experience when I went through this with a set of Milestar tires on my 08 Passat, ended up buying a complete new set to get car to ride smooth.
Like I said most shops don't want to take the time to mount and RoadForce balance a set of tires even if they have a tech that knows how to do it. One of the regional tire shops around here will do this correctly and they charge $50 a rim because it can takes 1/2 hour to sometimes longer to do it correctly if tire has to be moved on the rim to reduce the out of round condition and sometimes it gets moved a second time. Each time it has to be removed from balancer and put back on tire mounting machine and then back to balancer. This can tie a tech up for 2 hours if the tires are crappy right from the factory and still not run smooth like the customer expects.
Don't get me wrong, I have a Pirelli P7 (yes, full set) on my Audi that was around a 30 RF rating and shop did a proper RF balancing and it still has a very slight vibration so even top tire companies have this problem. I bought them used (new car take offs) so could not go back to manufacturer for a warranty replacement.
My $800 Toyo's were mounted and balanced for $80 and run smooth as silk, tech matched yellow dot on tire to valve stem on rim and none of the rims needed more than 1.5oz. to balance, maybe I just got lucky but it makes me feel good that it says "Made in USA" on the sidewall !

·
Registered
460 Posts
Funny thing is I looked at the wheels/tires and the ones with the biggest RFB # had the yellow (maybe white) dot opposite the valve stem. The one with the lower RFB# had that dot right at the valve stem. Seems that shops "expert" doesn't know what those yellow dots are for. I think I have to wait 30days for the refinished wheel to cure before I can have it swapped out. Then I'll bring them to another place and explain my dilemma. Hopefully they get it right. I don't think it's the tires.

·
Registered
460 Posts
With a wear rating like that I wouldn't be expecting much mileage out of them. But then if you take them off for winter it's not a bad thing otherwise you might end up keeping them for too long and they'll just age and go to waste.
Do you have a system for storing tyres over winter? I was thinking putting them in a huge garbage bag, evacuating as much air as possible then maybe pressurising the bag with an inert gas - helium, nitrogen maybe. Or am I overthinking this?
I only drive like 25 miles a day, a little more if I actually get a weekend off from work. If they last a couple of years with swapping them for my Winter setup during that season, it'll be OK.
For storing them I have them in plastic tire bags I got from a local tire store. Nothing special other than that. Same for the Winter setup during the Summer.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I was thinking putting them in a huge garbage bag, evacuating as much air as possible then maybe pressurising the bag with an inert gas - helium, nitrogen maybe. Or am I overthinking this?
What for? Are your tires organic or something?
I've never heard of anyone over-complicating tire storage to this extreme!

Maybe you should just vacuum seal the bags and send them into orbit just to be safe!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Funny thing is I looked at the wheels/tires and the ones with the biggest RFB # had the yellow (maybe white) dot opposite the valve stem. The one with the lower RFB# had that dot right at the valve stem. Seems that shops "expert" doesn't know what those yellow dots are for. I think I have to wait 30days for the refinished wheel to cure before I can have it swapped out. Then I'll bring them to another place and explain my dilemma. Hopefully they get it right. I don't think it's the tires.
T3 has really required me to buy tires from local stores... in my most recent set, I stopped buying tires online/mounting in an indie shop. I went to Discount Tires. Try to wait for a holiday discount, the deals aren't that bad, plus you get life time balancing. The best part is they can't tell you they are done with you, worst case if YOU don't like them, you can go to another location and still get the free re-balancing. Usually they have one or two on duty that knows how to use road force machines. They will usually do a traditional dynamic balance at first even if you tell them to use road force because 99% of the cars they work on will be just fine... I don't blame them... but if you keep coming back, they will have to road force it, for free of course.

·
Registered
612 Posts
What for? Are your tires organic or something?
I've never heard of anyone over-complicating tire storage to this extreme!

Maybe you should just vacuum seal the bags and send them into orbit just to be safe!
I was only asking, I don't store tyres.
But if you were going to store tyres in a bag anyway, why not?
Organic? I don't know, they used to be but I do know they oxidise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had good results with both Nankang and Delinte's on my CC's but the sws problem with the Touareg makes me a little gun shy with cheaper brands but I'm open.

·
Registered
460 Posts
T3 has really required me to buy tires from local stores... in my most recent set, I stopped buying tires online/mounting in an indie shop. I went to Discount Tires. Try to wait for a holiday discount, the deals aren't that bad, plus you get life time balancing. The best part is they can't tell you they are done with you, worst case if YOU don't like them, you can go to another location and still get the free re-balancing. Usually they have one or two on duty that knows how to use road force machines. They will usually do a traditional dynamic balance at first even if you tell them to use road force because 99% of the cars they work on will be just fine... I don't blame them... but if you keep coming back, they will have to road force it, for free of course.
Checked Discount Tires website. Saw they had Nokian WR G3 SUV tires that they list as "best" Link below. They want $277/each.

Went to Tires Easy website. They have the same exact tire. They want $102.39/each. Link below. I'm going to use Discount Tires instant price match link and see what they'll do.

·
Registered
291 Posts
New2Tregs are you looking for All Weather tires to put on your 19" rims ? A tire like the Nokian WRG3 will be superior to an All Season tire in the snow if that is what you are looking for but if you have plans for a second set of rims/tires you don't want these on your 19" rims.
I have these on my 17" rims that I use December to March, then I switch back to my 19" rims for rest of year that I recently installed the Toyo Open Country QT 265/50/19 110V XL rated tires to meet OEM spec.

·
Registered
460 Posts
New2Tregs are you looking for All Weather tires to put on your 19" rims ? A tire like the Nokian WRG3 will be superior to an All Season tire in the snow if that is what you are looking for but if you have plans for a second set of rims/tires you don't want these on your 19" rims.
I have these on my 17" rims that I use December to March, then I switch back to my 19" rims for rest of year that I recently installed the Toyo Open Country QT 265/50/19 110V XL rated tires to meet OEM spec.
I use the 19's for Spring-Fall. For Winter I have an 18" setup with Nokian Nordman 7SUV tires on them.
Recently I had a set of Atturo AZ850's installed but the "shop" claims they can't get the RFB# to a low #. They blame the tires.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
About this Discussion
58 Replies
10 Participants
New2Tregs
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing