Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m 2500 miles into a trip pulling a 4K lb trailer at altitude and it is sucking DEF like mad. Is there a better DEF filler tub out there? The 2.5 jugs available at most stations dribble and you can’t see how full you are. 2016 tdi t’reg

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
I just use the blue cans from Walmart. It dribbles but not too badly if I'm careful.

I have one of those filler hoses if you need one, lmk.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I bought one can of ad blue . After it was empty I cut off bottom and fill from a larger jug.
I did the same thing. I wanted to top the DEF off so I could have a starting point in my ownership. I had to watch a utoob video to see how to put the AdBlue bottle on. I didn't realize you had to thread it to get it to open the valve to drain. It only took about 1.75 gallons to fill up but of course I have no idea when/at what mileage it was last filled.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go to a major truck stop. They all have DEF pumps.

1. Fill up with DEF to the brim. About 4 to 4.5 gallon tank capacity, maybe a bit more.
2. Turn on ignition with foot OFF of the brake pedal, for 30 seconds.
3. Turn off the ignition.
That should clear the DEF light in the dash.
Keep your DEF tank filled up and topped off, so you never see that light again.
PEAK DEF fluid

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
If you're suggesting using a DEF pump for a big rig, those are intended to fill huge tanks and the velocity could rupture our small tanks. They might have ones intended for smaller tanks but I'd be careful about using just any ol' pump at a truck stop.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Flying J's in the Midwest Usually have smaller nozzles on the available DEF Pumps. I certainly agree that you should fill the small Touareg tanks slowly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Curious, does towing consume more DEF? More engine load = higher usage?
All other things being equal, you would expect DEF consumption to be proportional to fuel consumption. And you consume fuel more quickly while towing, so DEF consumption should be correspondingly higher. VW wants DEF consumption to be proportional to miles driven, so they can top it off during the maintenance every 10k miles or whatever. But reality doesn't work that way.

I believe higher load results in more-than-proportional higher DEF consumption though. Like being higher on the torque curve generates more nitrous emissions per volume of fuel consumed, so require more DEF.

I did the same thing. I wanted to top the DEF off so I could have a starting point in my ownership. I had to watch a utoob video to see how to put the AdBlue bottle on. I didn't realize you had to thread it to get it to open the valve to drain. It only took about 1.75 gallons to fill up but of course I have no idea when/at what mileage it was last filled.
Dunno about the 2010 models. But on the newer 7P models, there's an extra step you have to do after filling the DEF to reset the internal DEF level meter to acknowledge the DEF you just added. If you don't do it, the car thinks it's still at the same DEF level as before, and you'll eventually get a DEF low warning even though the tank is full.

Dunno why VW didn't make DEF level part of the normal display gauges like every other diesel vehicle I've seen. It would make it obvious that you need to reset the gauge if after you filled it with DEF the needle didn't move. As it is, you just have to remember to do it after filling up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
@Solandri , thanks for that tidbit. In poking around, I found a thread which referenced the Malone Tuning site that said 2011+ (at that time) needed to be reset before delete. I can check via VCDS to see if I have that coding. In any case, I have had the ignition on for more than 30 seconds while doing a quick reset of tire pressures via VCDS so that should have sufficed had it been necessary.

ETA: Earlier in the same thread indicates it is a 2011+ "feature" to need to reset the monitor circuit.

·
Registered
2013 TDI Exec
198 Posts
This is the one I have. I'll change my link.
They're the same thing.

If anyone needs one, message me because I have a new one I'm not using (I just use the Walmart blue cans that come with crappy enough filler necks).

But on the newer 7P models, there's an extra step you have to do after filling the DEF to reset the internal DEF level meter to acknowledge the DEF you just added. If you don't do it, the car thinks it's still at the same DEF level as before, and you'll eventually get a DEF low warning even though the tank is full.
That's strange. I haven't ever had to do that to my 2013.

ETA: Earlier in the same thread indicates it is a 2011+ "feature" to need to reset the monitor circuit.
The last person that responded in that linked thread said they haven't ever reset their 2014 and never had an issue, either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts