Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were tossing around the idea of heading up to New Hampshire/North East for a weekend next month and Mount Washington caught my interest... Obviously they have the annual hill climb, and apparently the AutoRoad is quite the exciting climb/descent for any vehicle... The last Sunday in August is their last "Sunrise Drive" of the year, in which they open extra early (4am) to allow people to get to the summit in time to watch the sun come up over the Atlantic.

While this isn't specifically Touareg related, we thought it'd be fun to open it up to others to come up and join in; as of right now our plan is to head up from Maryland on Friday (guesstimating about a 10.5-11hr drive), spend Saturday touring the area; make the "climb" Sunday morning, and continue checking out the area Sunday and head home Monday.

As far as accomodations, the idea of camping was brought up, which would be especially fun if we could get a few other people to join in.

Any interest from others? Maybe even finding some trails in the area for Saturday or Sunday afternoon?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Hey Anand,

Been meaning to chime in here. But it's been hectic getting back from the rally...

I'm planning to be in NH that weekend or the next. So let me see if I can make it the same time. If so, I'd be happy to organize a half-day tour of some 4WD/unmaintained roads in the area. Keep in mind though, the ones I know are an hour or two southeast of the White Mountains.

As for the sunrise drive, I'll probably take a raincheck on that one. ;)

Thanks,
Chris

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris, we'd definitely be up for that... We have a bunch of time so we are totally up for touring around seeing the sights (on, and off the road)

·
Registered
316 Posts
If I'm off work count me in.

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ben, I was just about to PM you to alert you to this thread... Some good summer time off-pavement travels would be good, especially since you have some fresh rubber!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Can't wait to try out these new Nitto's. And I'm actually off that weekend. I'll talk to the wife and make sure we are free.

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris, do you have any recommendations of lodging? Or campgrounds in the general area? Somewhere with an actual shower would be strongly preferred :) I know Ben has the luxury of his trailer he's always talking about

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Anand--My brother- & sister-in-laws like the Nordic Village Resort in Jackson, NH. That puts you in the thick of the White Mountain National Forest. But I don't have any other particulars on why they stay there.

Ben--Glad to see you can make it. Hopefully though, this won't be a reprise of our NE PA trip... at least not for me. ;-)

Cheers--Chris

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
.... apparently the AutoRoad is quite the exciting climb/descent for any vehicle...
The drive is relatively boring. It's a hell of a lot more worthwhile to hike it from either Pinkham Notch Visitor Center south of the auto road entrance or from the west side where the cog railway starts. I think taking the cog train up would actually be a lot more fun than driving up.

I've hiked to the summit 3 times in the summer, from three different approaches, and twice in January/March via longer routes, any of which are a much better way to spend the day!

There is a good campground on the west side highway south of the western approach road and there are other campgrounds in other directions easy to locate.

There are also a plethora of B&B's which are a nice way to finish off a foot powered ascent ;) Think about it, drive and then camp out vs hike up earning a plush B&B afterward with a hot tub...

·
Registered
246 Posts
I second the Pinkham Notch up through Tuckerman's Ravine to the summit hike. Have done it warm weather and in snow and is awesome at either time. Leave the Tregs behind. Just think how comfortable those seats will feel after hiking up and back down the mountain. jwestpro is dead on, it is much more scenic walking than driving!

Dave

·
Registered
316 Posts
@Shubie, talk to me a little bit more about these roads. Are we looking at the same sort of terrain as our last jaunt, or somewhere between that and Ouray? Looks like you all had a good time btw.

The Wife is unable to attend, so I might be need to find an alternative co-pilot.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm in. So what's the plan here? Drive up Friday night, find trails Saturday, the sunrise on Sunday and then head back?

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ben, we were going to leave Friday morning-ish and take a leisurely drive up... We still haven't found a place to stay yet... Totally up for some trails on Saturday, and then of course a super-early morning sunrise drive on Sunday. We might either start heading back Sunday or Monday, haven't decided exactly... both of us are off Friday-Monday so we are open to just about anything.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Things are still up in the air for me. But I'm shooting to get in late Sat. afternoon. So Sun. afternoon sounds like the time for a trail GTG... :-k

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahem, bumpity bumpity boo....

If we are planning on hitting trails on Sunday, we might take a relaxed approach up and stop by the beach or something, and end up arriving in NH early Saturday afternoon... Now we just need to find a nice camping area...

Chris, what area(s) are your trails in?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Should know tomorrow if/how work will let me make it up there that weekend...

There's a handful of trails just west of Rochester that run the gamut difficulty-wise. More are spread out across the New Durham/Wolfeboro/Brookfield area, but I've only just begun to explore these. Both sets are just a short drive off the main drag to Mt. Washington (Rt 16/Spaulding Tpke).

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Things are still up in the air for me. But I'm shooting to get in late Sat. afternoon. So Sun. afternoon sounds like the time for a trail GTG... :-k
OK, got the clearance so I'm a go. We should arrive in Rochester Sat. late afternoon. Sunday PM it is for any trails. :cool:

·
Too Cool to Leave School
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chris, good to know :) We'll plan on arriving Sat. afternoon as well, although not sure where "there" will be for us as of yet... Probably somewhere a bit north of Rochester (to make the drive in the wee hours of Sunday a little shorter to get to the base of Mt Wash. by ~4am Sunday morning)

Paging Ben... Bueller... Bueller....

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I've been itching to camp off of Bear Notch Road in the Conway area (Bear Notch Rd, Conway, Carroll, New Hampshire 03818 - Google Maps). It's a short ride off 16, but still between Mt. Washington and the above trails. Not sure how far off the beaten path you want to go though...

Have you looked in the Ossipee area for camping options?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts