Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CT Members,

I have owned 2 2009 T2 TDIs during the past few years, but both had steel suspension. The first was higher mileage, and had injector and fuel rail repairs done by the first owner while under warranty, and I was glad to sell it to VW because I could tell it would be a problem. The second was a low-mile beauty, and parting with it was a bit more difficult. The second T2 grew on me, especially once I got it up in the Colorado Rockies.

I have been looking for a Touareg to replace my Golf TDI project ( euro 6-speed, big turbo and tune, suspension and braking upgrades etc.) since it would be something the family could enjoy too. A dealer near me has a loaded post-buyback 2010 with air suspension and 85K miles that has caught my attention, but I am a little hesitant because my parents had a Phaeton with air suspension, and I am aware of what the replacement costs of system components are like.

Should I be wary of a T2 with air suspension that sat in Texas for 2 years? A friend who is a TDI guru has inspected the vehicle for me, and aside from recommending fuel filter and drive train fluid and filter changes, he says it looks to be in good shape. It is a Texas vehicle, so corrosion should not be a big concern, but I want to turn to the 'wisdom of the crowd' so to speak.

Please give me any feedback, good or bad, on the T2s with air suspension. I am trying to do my homework, so any recommended reading is also appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pretty sure a 2010 TDI with air suspension in North America is close to unicorn status. If you want air suspension and 4Xmotion in a Touareg TDI in those years you better grab it before someone else does or move to Oz.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure a 2010 TDI with air suspension in North America is close to unicorn status. If you want air suspension and 4Xmotion in a Touareg TDI in those years you better grab it before someone else does or move to Oz.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
I think you are correct. From what I have read here air suspension was special order only on the 2009-10 TDIs in the US, and there were less than 200 sold. I was not seeking out air specifically, but the rarity could help the vehicle hold value which is a plus.

The drive to my friend's shop and back was definitely smoother than the steel T2s I had, and the adjustable ride height would be fun. I just want to know if my fear of owning a T2 on air is well-founded or if I am over-thinking it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, it definitely seems to be the time to get one as they all rotate out of VW's hands. I have seen 2 others for sale scattered around the country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts