Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Possibly the wrong spot to post and I apologize if that is the case. New to this forum. History of this car. We bought it a month ago. Came safetied and etested pass guaranteed. Was told the original key fob wasn’t working and they gave us a second key with fob. Used the second key and one day in the first week we owned the car, it wouldn’t turn off. Told by this used car place new key was aftermarket. Old original key wouldn’t turn it off either. Told by VW to starve it to get it to turn off. Wouldn’t start the next day, so towed to local guy, stated ignition was broken and only vw could fix it. Took it to VW who replaced the ignition. While that was happening the abs, check engine lights came on along with speedometer and odometer not working. Vw did a scan and said it was faulting in the canbus data lines and speed sensor. Repair time extensive. Took it somewhere else who said Touareg prone to wires corroding as they are just under the carpet. This shop pulled up all the carpet on both drivers and passenger sides and coated the wires so if they got wet again this sheathing would protect the wires. Check engine and abs went off/speedometer and odometer starting working again. I got gas the next day and sure enough check engine comes back on. Double checked gas cap and still check engine on. Forward to today when the speedometer and odometer stopped working and abs light came back on. There is another light beside the abs which looks like a triangle with a circle sort of around it as well. Has anyone else experienced this. Car runs smooth and if it was a speed sensor I thought it was supposed to run rough? I realize this car is old, but honestly it runs good. Kms are at 186000
Can someone please help. Car doesn’t go back to where the canbus wires were looked at until later this week.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Where are you Carmen Sandiego? Find a shop that will scan your codes properly and have them reset. Then, as soon as one pops, read it again and address it. It doesn't really sound like any of the shops you've dealt with thus far are very competent, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in Southwestern Ontario. It went to VW and then went to a smaller shop who does work on vw and European cars which is an hour away from me. None of my local shops have a VAG-COM reader. I am in a rural area...

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
All of the splices are on the left hand side, which is the drivers side in North America. The critical splice is a tiny tiny brown wire that corrodes and kills the can-bus. That leads to all sort of random errors. You must be sure that you strip this wire back to where it is good. Often you end up removing several inches of that blasted tiny wire before you get back to good copper.

If I had to guess, the shop, which should have never even went under the passenger or right hand side, did not cut out the all of the damaged part of the can-bus wire. They just twisted it back together which leads to an intermittent can-bus failure.

If the vehicle was in my possession with a VCDS, it would be pretty easy to confirm. You clear all the codes. Start the engine and do a five minute drive. Rescan for errors. Clear errors. Repeat a few times.

If it is the can-bus wire failure, you will get error codes, but the error codes will be random and different ones will keep popping up. If so, you need to fix the can-bus wire correctly.

Hope this helps. It might be the only post I make this week. I am really getting tired of this new software. Admin needs to stop sleeping and get some of the promised fix/patches online.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Here's what Nick's talking about.....

If you search, you will find pletly others on this forum have had to deal with this.
You need proper tools to properly scan and fix these vehicles. If you want to deal with backyard mechanics that are used to fixing tractors, you need to drive a carburated V8 that they will know how to fix.

You should be close enough to London or another major city where there will be plenty of enthusiasts and shops with the correct tools. Personally, I would buy my own VCDS (I have one, and my Touareg is 10 years younger than yours) as it is an invaluable tool and will quickly pay for itself vs paying self proclaimed experts to just randomly throw parts at your problems while you pay for them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks we are looking into getting one just one that is slightly less money
Car was scanned last night, check engine on for cc and Evap leak, abs on and speedometer and odometer not working due to a blown fuse. Codes cleared and now we will see what happens

1 - 7 of 7 Posts