Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all, hope you can help. Brand new 2016 Touareg Sport V3.6 FSI with factory towing extras installed sometimes thinks it has a trailer attached, when it does not. Has happened twice now, dealer is stumped. Dealer has done full test protocol and even gotten advice from the VW Tech Line. Trailer modules swapped by dealer among vehicles, and performed a "cap discharge," I think by removing battery. That cleared the fault, but the phantom trailer reappeared three weeks later.

Any ideas what could cause this? I do have a VAG-Com if there's something I should check.

Many thanks! Jim

·
Registered
682 Posts
That cleared the fault, but the phantom trailer reappeared three weeks later.

My treg: I only know a trailer is hooked up (7 way pin) from lack of truck lid opening. If I use a 4 to 7 way, allows truck to open.

So explain phantom trailer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Xeno555, we'll see if the dealer finds a link between the trunk and the phantom trailer, and i'll post resolution.

·
Registered
295 Posts
VW-CFO

It would probably be worth checking the earth wires on the tow circuit. In particular I would check the earth from the tow module to the trailer socket to ensure that there is no unintentional earthing i.e. a break in the insulation or connection of other components that may create a completed circuit through that earth line. First place to start is at the socket - make sure that all connections are cleanly made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, Ewie. It's starting to look like the trailer control module. Will post the final resolution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts