Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Touareg and some 17" wheels I am going to put some tires on for winter and occasional very light off-road use. I was originally just going to purchase some boring old Blizzak WS80 215-45-17 tires, but then thought I would have some fun and get some winter-ready AT tires.

Are these Falkens a good tire for winter? I drive highway with my young daughter in the car (~65mph, and when I am alone in car I drive closer to 80mph) and also back rounds. I live in the suburbs (Gloucester) and some of our road do not get plowed well.

Should I just get the traditional snow tires or will these Falkens be good?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would also like to know how good these tires are! They happen to have decent sizes for the 19" wheels! I live in CO so I drive during blizzards sometimes and go off road to trail heads and camping. This tire seems like a great compromise.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
These won't match dedicated snows, but they will be better than some summer tires for sure.
The lugs bite good into snow, but on ice and really packed stuff the performance will degrade. The also don't have enough sipes to be really effective on ice.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just installed a set of the Vredestein Quatrac 5 on my 2016 (19" rims), 600 miles so far. No snow or ice yet just some cold/wet conditions. I am quite pleased so far, they are quieter than the Bridgestone Dueller H/L 400s they replaced and seem to deal with wet roads very well. Reviews are very positive for winter traction so I am anticipating they will be well behaved.

Definitely more siping than the Falkens, probably not as good off-road. Probably barely usable off-road for that matter, but unless you plan on running through muddy bogs they should work OK.

I plan on updating after we start seeing the white rain...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts