Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
The dealership here in SB closed its doors a couple years ago, I have to go down to Ventura for any warranty work. Had to have it towed 50 miles when it grenaded. Bummer because two of the mechanics at the local dealership were friends of my son and I knew most of the staff there, good guys.
The fuel filter is easy, look for videos on line.
Good luck
I don't know about the quality of the work, but Santa Maria was an option, too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
1. Always keep your fuel tank full. Otherwise the tank breathes in moisture at night into the early morning.

2. IMHO, for driving in western states with mountains, your trailer is too heavy for the displacement of your motor. German TUV standards of 7700 # towing are misleading to North American towing needs. This is because the [CHASSIS, by TUV (our DOT standards) is rated for 7700 pound... All over EU a 4.2 L Audi / VW motor that is a V8 is shoehorned into the front end of a Touareg, putting out 345 to 375 HP and up to 627 ft lbs of torque. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_diesel_engines

3. As a result of this, and it's a marketing gimmick here in the USA, the 7700 lbs of trailer should probably (IMHO) be a lot closer to 2/3 of the rated 7700 lb's allowed based on weight of trailer to number of ft /lbs torque the motor can produce. That would be about 5100 lbs of trailer, maximum. iMHO, your trailer is overweight, based on engine displacement size alone. You really need a bigger diesel motor for your 25 ft Airstream, or a smaller, lighter Airstream TT.

4. Your driving patterns, driving around in a city, for the majority of miles, are not conducive to owning a TDI Touareg.

5. There are a lot of enthusiasts here, that state their Touareg "tows like there's nothing back there at all". I don't know what their problem is, but the statement is patently false. All you need to do is look in the side view mirrors and rear view mirrors and watch your MPG's drop in half or more, towing 55 mph here in CA, and feel how deep your foot is into the accelerator, going up even the slightest of grades, or how the shifting pattern of your vehicle changes when towing, to know this is the big lie, trying to make their Touareg into something it is really not. It is not a heavy duty diesel motor, it is built, engineered and designed as a light diesel motor, fine for pushing around Audi 6, 7 and 8 model sedans, marginal in a 5000 # Touareg, and really marginal in a close to #6000 pound Audi Q7. You just can't do that much work with such a limited displacement motor, and expect things to last.

Honestly... for your driving habits, you'd probably be a lot better off with driving a gas model SUV like a Honda CRV around the city, and buy a real truck for your towing needs. This is all just IMHO.... The Touareg TDi will do you no favors with how you are using it. You will, IMHO, have more trouble and problems than it's worth, with your driving style. I won't even begin to go into how you are not completing DPF regenerations with your driving style, or what that does to the turbo charger when you shut down during one of those going on.

Sell it, your Touareg, and buy something else, before you end up whining about how much time your Touareg spends in the shop getting fixed.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. The Hybrid Touareg with 380hp has the same exact 7700lb tow capacity, and the same year Cayenne GTS w/ the 420hp motor has the same exact tow capacity. The size of our motor is NOT our limiting factor, our chassis is. Our chassis are simply too light, too short and have too short of wheel bases to handle more than 8k lbs. I mean physically, we all know it will PULL more than 8k lbs (the old video of the Touareg pulling a 747...).

·
Registered
242 Posts
You want to tow 1 ton of trailer with a Clydsedale, a quarter horse, or a Shetland Pony. Substibute engine displacement for type of horse /pony in a Touareg chassis. A 3.0 TDI is the shetland pony, in the displacement category. Peak horsepower ratings sell cars, they mean nothing when towing or doing heavy work. There has been, and there will never be a replacement for engine displacement, when heavy work needs to be done, like towing. You just need more cubic inches to do the work... period. You can't defy the laws of physics with an engine, when all it is, is a pump. You want to do more work, to pump more, you need a bigger pump, ie a bigger displacement engine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I dont think you read my post. The Touareg TDI is NOT limited in towing capacity by motor. It is 100% chassis limited.

I follow what you're saying and agree with your last post.. there is a reason tractor trailers use 15 liters to make 400 and 500hp vs these pickup manufacturers doing it in 6 liters... the tractor trailer can handle the power better for sure.. HP vs HP.

But, the argument is what is the limiting factor for towing in a Touareg, and that is chassis.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Back to the fuel pump. What is cost to do a proacrtive fuel pump change right at 115k miles before warrantee is up if anyone knows? Thanks you

·
Registered
173 Posts
Who's doing the work, you or the dealer? Dark Side sells cp4 pumps for ~$1k shipped and they do cp3 upgrade kits (which include pump and ancillaries) for about the same, if you are doing your own install.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
The OEM pump can be found for around $800 or so.... you'd probably want to replace the high pressure lines at this point as well..... it's not easy to get to the pump or to replace it, so if you're paying a garage to do it, I'd suspect you're probably looking at 10-14 hrs worth of labor. This is just an educated guess based on looking where the pump is buried.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts

Not sure about this but repair pal in other instances is not real far off
Look closer at what you just looked up.... does that look like a HPFP to you? Look at the graphic if you don't know what a HPFP looks like..... where is this "fuel pump" that you looked up located? Do you know where the HPFP is located on our engines?

·
Registered
173 Posts
^Indeed. You're quoting the low pressure fuel pump. I think $1000-1500 is on the high side, but its a fraction of what the hpfp will be.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Relax sir relax. Not sure I needed to know all this info to make some inquiries on this thread. I am checking out the dealer tomorrow for oil change, I like them like, I like my Touareg. I see all these folks knock the Touareg on this forum this is my second both been fine!. I will see what it costs, relax though its not worth it! If its erroneus post politely say so, check out the Lexus guys they are polite!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I haven't read the entire post... but a few comments.

1) According to the sales brochure your 2016 Touareg should still be under warranty.

2) When you open your fuel tank does it smell like gasoline? I know of a Jetta Mk IV TDI that accidentally had 87 octane put in it. It ran ok but refused to idle or restart after the diesel was out of the fuel system. A fuel tank flush fixed it with no apparent long term damage.

3) Is there any indication of water in the fuel? I don't think the T3s have a valve on the bottom of the fuel filter to drain water. But this would be a dead give away.

How has the dealer concluded the high pressure fuel pump is bad?

There should be a fuel pump pressure reading from the electronic sensor, though how it can be read while trying to start isn't something I can answer. But I do understand the fuel pump has a high pressure fuel pressure sensor to regulate the pressure electronically. If a sensor fails this could cause some weird problems (possibly)....though better the real VW mechanics chime in here.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Also forgot to comment you can get an upgraded CP3 high pressure pump for around $800 plus installation.

Also has anyone run Lucas diesel fuel system additive; It appears to be a thin synthetic oil that gets added to the fuel tank.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts