Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a doozie of a question... Has anyone here seen or heard of an auxiliary fuel tank or a way to mount a gas can on the outside of the vehicle, besides the obvious method of mounting it on a roof rack cage. Could there be a possible accessory to the forthcoming external spare tire carrier?

· Registered
328 Posts
Re: question....

smshnick said:
Do you keep those fuel cans inside the car? No spillage?
Not yet, no. They have rubber gasket seals and the caps are a PAIN IN THE BUTT to open and close (meaning they are TIGHT!!). It's a mechanical advantage system that tightens the cap down harder as you close it more (if you see it you'll know what I mean). I doubt they'd ever leak.

· Registered
6 Posts
Fuel tank in spare tyre cavity?

Hi,

I have a rear mounted spare tyre and therefore a cavity where the old spare tyre used to be. Has anyone seen a manufacturer who makes an aux tank to fit into that cavity? See the link below, they did it for the old VWs.

VWVortex.com - FS: ACV Auxiliary Fuel Tank for the Spare Tire well Never installed with all parts

To stop it messing with the electronics I guess one could put a tap in the line to the main tank to isolate the spare tank and refill the main tank when required.

Martin

· Registered
380 Posts
Carrying extra gas for long distance expeditions is the way to go, but refueling from the jerrycan is a pain. A buddy has a neat system. he uses pressurized air from his air tank to move fuel from the can to his jeep. Puts hose in filler neck, opens air valve and presto.

· Registered
346 Posts
The guys on the TDI club often convert their jettas to burn waste veggie oil. That process often necessitates an auxiliary fuel tank. Many of the WVO converstion companies have donut/round style tanks that fit in Jetta spare tire wells.

I also remember a childhood buddies dad who did long distance ocean trips in his personal yacht. He stored extra diesel in the bilge using water bed mattresses. I suppose since diesel isn't nearly as flammable as gas he was able to do that though I'm sure its taboo.

I have often thought of a custom aux fuel cell for my passat TDI. If one could tap into the main tank I'd install a reversible recirc pump that would pump fuel into the aux tank when filling the main tank, and would fill the maintank from the aux tank when needed when the main was low. Te 2 tanks would also have to be vented together with a second line connecting the top of the tanks so if either tank tried to overflow it'd overflow to the other, presumably empty tank.

Good discussion, I like it. I've often dreamed about this...

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Almost 7 year old thread....anyone can have a specialty shop make a custom tank for the tire well but there is little available for the bumper. I hate the hitch idea because that's the best place for the bike rack unless, when offroad, the hitch is also a very low hanging part.

· Registered
52 Posts
I am looking into this additional fuel tank issue here in Johannesburg, South Africa. You have to remove the rear suitcase silencer which I have done already and then there is a company that claims to make a 50+ litre tank that fits into that vacated space. I hope to see them in a couple of weeks and will then pass on all of the details

· Registered
380 Posts
I've seen other vehicles with aftermarket additional fuel tanks. Where would the filler location be for your proposed tank? I like the idea, I'd have to find a way to protect it while off-road but I like it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.