Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone purchased an extended warranty recently? Thinking about one for my wife Touareg, its a 2026 with 17k miles. The 3/36 just expired on her car

thanks

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think you meant 2016. Is this a FSI gasser?, If it is a TDI with the emissions fix you have 10yrs/120k miles on the drivetrain and emissions systems. I have a "new" 2016 TDI as a trade for my 2012 TDI due to emissions situation that also has a new car warranty for 3yrs/ 48k miles.

·
Registered
877 Posts
If you plan on keeping the car,it is worth pricing the warranty. I bgt one for my new 2012 and broke even after 6 yrs,so I was satisfied. It is an insurance policy against a major issue which can easily be more than your policy cost you. $2000 repairs are sadly not that unusual. Get a policy which can be canceled if you chose to sell the car . You will get a rebate for the unused time the policy was in effect.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Your 2106 VR6 has a 10 year/100,000 mile power train warranty

Our 2011 VR6 needed a water pump at 98K and was covered by VW

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just got myself 2015 Hybrid, I am trying to get extended warranty, where can I buy it beside the dealership.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mathematically, an extended warranty is never "worth it" - they wouldn't be selling it if it saved you money.

However, it can be useful for taking the uncertainty out of future repair bills. The warranty basically takes all the possible future repair costs from $0 to (say) $15,000 and averages it. You pay the average (plus a slight mark-up) for the extended warranty. With it comes peace of mind that you will not be on the hook if the car incurs above-average repair costs. The trade-off is that if it incurs below-average repair costs, then you will have wasted your money. (Although I believe VW does have an extended warranty option where you can recoup some of the cost if you end up never using it.)
The 3/36 just expired on her car
That is unfortunate. The cost of the extended warranty goes up the longer it's been since the car was initially purchased, and jumps significantly when the 3/36 warranty expires. The time to get the extended warranty was before the 3/36 warranty expired.

Shop around - different dealers have different mark-ups, so will quote you different prices. I think I got a 5 year/60,000 mile extended warranty (essentially making it an 8 yr / 96k mile warranty) with a $100 deductible for $4000 shortly before the 3/36k expired.

This was before the whole TDI mess, so it ended up probaly not being worth it for me since the TDIs got a free 10y/100k warranty on the engine and power train, which are the most expensive parts. But I didn't know that was going to happen at the time,and I was freaked out because the rear and side camera system was acting up. Talking with the service people it was a major hassle to repair. It was probably just a loose connection, but "fixing" it required removing and replacing the entire camera and wiring harness (they are attached to each other), programming the infotainment system to recognize the new camera's serial number (it doesn't just accept any camera you plug in), and borrowing a calibration tool for properly aiming the camera from a nearby Audi dealership because there are apparently only a handful of these tools in Southern California. It would've been well over $1000 if not under warranty.

Just got myself 2015 Hybrid, I am trying to get extended warranty, where can I buy it beside the dealership.
It used to be offered by Fidelity, but I heard VW bought Fidelity (or the VW warranty business from Fidelity) and now sells it directly. If true, then a dealer is your only option, unless you go with an unaffiliated extended warranty company.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts