Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
V10 TDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience running Amsoil in their V10 TDI Touareg?
Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Electric blue Automotive decal

Would love some advice.
should I convert?
A friend of mine swears his Detroit Series60 got quieter running Amsoil. Fuel mileage improved and other benefits.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
881 Posts
I would expect the engine- any Diesel, really- to be quieter right after an oil change no matter what oil was being used. For the mileage claims, ask to see his documentation.
What are you using now? Using oil that meets spec is more important than claims of higher fuel mileage.

·
Registered
V10 TDI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would expect the engine- any Diesel, really- to be quieter right after an oil change no matter what oil was being used. For the mileage claims, ask to see his documentation.
What are you using now? Using oil that meets spec is more important than claims of higher fuel mileage.
Well. I recently bought the Touareg, and I’m assuming whoever worked on it last. Used recommended oil.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Without documentation, that can be a costly assumption. Best advice I can give you is to change it out if you don't know what's in there or when it was put in there.
Amsoil is not an approved oil and does not meet any VW standard. This is probably because they didn't submit it for approval, but if they're serious about chasing the European market, they need to get approvals.

Double-check your owner's manual, oil cap, and under-hood stickers, but you should be using VW 507 00 spec oil. If you don't have a DPF, you can use 506 01 oils. Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 is a great oil that meets both standards. It's a good go-to oil.
Well. I recently bought the Touareg, and I’m assuming whoever worked on it last. Used recommended oil.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,159 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts

·
Registered
2009 T2 3.6L VR6 FSI
460 Posts
Are they on a new Approved Oils List from VW? Plenty of oils claim compatibility.
Hi. I've switched to Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic European Car Formula which says right on the front of the bottle that it meets VW 504.00/507.00. And since the recommended spec in the owner's manual for my car is 504.00, this is now what I use.

So is there an official list of approved VW Oils published anywhere? If you know where this information can be found please share.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,159 Posts
Hi. I've switched to Amsoil 5W-30 Synthetic European Car Formula which says right on the front of the bottle that it meets VW 504.00/507.00. And since the recommended spec in the owner's manual for my car is 504.00, this is now what I use.

So is there an official list of approved VW Oils published anywhere? If you know where this information can be found please share.

Thanks.
The VW importer in some countries issues an approved list of lubricants - the approved list in one country doesn't apply in any other country - not all do, eg the UK, so some of us have to rely on oil manufacturers' claims that specific oil meets a specific VW standard.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Without documentation, that can be a costly assumption. Best advice I can give you is to change it out if you don't know what's in there or when it was put in there.
Amsoil is not an approved oil and does not meet any VW standard. This is probably because they didn't submit it for approval, but if they're serious about chasing the European market, they need to get approvals.

Double-check your owner's manual, oil cap, and under-hood stickers, but you should be using VW 507 00 spec oil. If you don't have a DPF, you can use 506 01 oils. Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 is a great oil that meets both standards. It's a good go-to oil.
I have a 2015 TDI that has been deleted. I can't find any oil that is 506! Just 504, 505, 507...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts