Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vr6 sport package 2013 toureg do I do a muffler delete , straight pipe it or do I buy a custom exhaust for most mean sound

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,169 Posts
This has been asked and debated quite a lot. Here's what I discovered.
--Some will delete the resonator(s) and install an X pipe.
--Some will do the above and also delete the suitcase muffler and put Borla or Magnaflow mufflers in it's place.
--Some will just replace the suitcase muffler with either of the two muffler choices listed above. I've read putting an X pipe before the two inlets to the mufflers gets rid of the baseball card in the spokes sound, basically it balances out the exhaust sound.
--Some will go with a suitcase muffler replacement by such companies like Supersprint. Some of these type of replacement can be costly ($1,500 USD or more).

It's all going to come down to how much sound do you want, how much $$ you want to spend, and how much drone you can put up with.

With that said the last most important thing I have learned is... no one is going to show you pics or videos of the actual setup from under the vehicle. Nor will they tell you at what speeds they get drone, usually they just say.... no drone at all. I do not believe this.
There are lots of videos on different sites of people with the VR6 doing exhaust mods and giving external sound clips. Most of these videos have great sounding exhausts but are usually very vague as to what exactly was done.
I also want to do something with my '11 VR6's exhaust but since I can't get concrete info I've just been holding off. Video below is just one example.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Just go to YouTube and start looking up VR6 exhaust notes and configurations. Every single VR6 sounds the same, minus some small differences between valve configuration and engine size etc. But the point is to find what you like and then just replicate it by buying those parts. A VR6 without a muffler and resonator is one loud, loud ride. It sounds great, but it's loud.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
1,169 Posts
I have a link that results from a follow up comment on the original video link I provided. This individual did the same as in that video. They say there is no drone at any speed. I'm still not sure on that but I am thinking of doing this on my "11 3.6 VR6. I'll have it done in such a way so that if I don't like it I can put the original setup back in.

Link >>>>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts