Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2010 Touareg and love the car! Checked out beautifully at my local VW service department and the mechanic is a Touareg enthusiast with connections with other mechanics here in the NW. However, he could not find the source of the exhaust smell filling the cabin upon cold startup. It is not minor, it is overwhelming. I had him check all exhaust components, the EGR system, the DEF system, the immediate heater, the floorboard, the firewall, and all connections and fittings of the fuel delivery system.
Obviously this is a complex and unusual problem. Has anyone got any suggestions as to where to go from here?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, yes it was scanned and the flex pipe checked. They even did a pressurized smoke test.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I might be missing, but I don't see the model listed anywhere. It is helpful if you put that info. Now if it is a V10, then you should see if the tandem pump has a leak. More times than anything else, it causes the stated condition.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
905 Posts
I might be missing, but I don't see the model listed anywhere. It is helpful if you put that info. Now if it is a V10, then you should see if the tandem pump has a leak. More times than anything else, it causes the stated condition.
the tandem pump has nothing to do with exhaust leak on startup or any time for that matter. It drips oil and that is the smell. A cracked exhaust manifold is the likely smell of exhaust on startup on a V10tdi.

·
Registered
456 Posts
the tandem pump has nothing to do with exhaust leak on startup or any time for that matter. It drips oil and that is the smell. A cracked exhaust manifold is the likely smell of exhaust on startup on a V10tdi.
I realize that, but sometimes it does cause similar smell. I had the same issue and it was the tandem pump. So speaking from experience.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi there, what model is your 2010? My V10 had the fuel pump leaking (left side) and cracks in both exhaust manifolds. Smoke from the dripping fuel was getting sucked into the HVAC intake and visibly coming in through the dash vents. It was very bad. I had both fuel and tandem pumps replaced as well as both manifolds welded up (see my other post here), problem disappeared. So, if you have a V10, they are prone to the manifolds cracking around the back side of the individual flanges where they bolt up to cylinder head. You can see the front ones with a torch (flash light), if they're sooty, that's your problem.

Pete.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Apparently he has the V6. I had asked the same question and was told by turboABA that a 2010 DRF is a 3.0 lit. TdI

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right, it is a 6 cyl. Diesel TDI, yet the effect sounds exactly like the post from Crispy3 with the V10. Could it be the same situation, with a broken exhaust manifold on a diesel? Indeed, the smell (which truly smells like DEF burning) is immediate and it is like the fumes are being forced through the vents As it fills the cabin.

·
Registered
2010 V6 TDI
22 Posts
Just bought a 2010 Touareg and love the car! Checked out beautifully at my local VW service department and the mechanic is a Touareg enthusiast with connections with other mechanics here in the NW. However, he could not find the source of the exhaust smell filling the cabin upon cold startup. It is not minor, it is overwhelming. I had him check all exhaust components, the EGR system, the DEF system, the immediate heater, the floorboard, the firewall, and all connections and fittings of the fuel delivery system.
Obviously this is a complex and unusual problem. Has anyone got any suggestions as to where to go from here?
Thanks!
I've been having the same issue with my 2010 TDI. However it doesn't sound/smell as bad as your situation. On immediate cold start (with the heater on/recirculate on auto) I get the exhaust smell into the cabin. As soon as we start moving it dissipates. It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers my wife. You can also get the smell if you stop/park the car and leave it running.

Let me know what you find out!

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
I've been having the same issue with my 2010 TDI.
If you have VCDS, scan it for exhaust flap codes.
I've had mine replaced 2x under the fix warranty.
There's also output tests you can perform to ensure that it's not seized.
These seize up all the time.

Reactions: Bendreg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks!
G'day from Oz,

Had the EXACT problem rectified just yesterday! It was the PCV pipe (a convoluted/ribbed pipe that runs from the back of the PCV to the ventilation - weird but that's what I was told). Turns out it gets brittle and a crack had appeared, which enabled exhaust fumes to enter the cabin through the ventilation filter...check it out.

Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's great news. Would you happen to have a part number or diagram of said pipe/hose?
G'day folks

The offending item is called a Crankcase Ventilation pipe (Part # - for the one in my MY2013 TDV6/180 - is 059 103 221 AL), you may need to check this with your local dealer or parts supplier as I am told there are a number of (slightly) different ones depending on your ride. I've attached the Parts Catalog Page.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally had our cabin exhaust smell diagnosed and repaired on our 2013 Touareg TDI!

Exhaust leak was coming from the 3 bolt flange connecting the catalytic converter to the DPF. Catalytic and front pipe were replaced under the emissions extended warranty. Zero cost to me! :)

Kudos to Armstrong VW in Gladstone, OR!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts