Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are my options for exhaust modifications on my 4.2? I want to be loud and obnoxious(Thats just me), but not do anything to hurt the engine. Car is registered in one state and I live in another so I am not to worried about inspections. what are my options? I am planning on building some type of intake system later as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you want to be loud and obnoxious, just chop it off and weld straight pipe in place. I would personally by two amoroso spiral flows and keep the cats. Cat less 4.2 can sound raspy.

Just YouTube b6 s4 exhaust.

·
Registered
441 Posts
As an owner of two 4.2L engines (also have a B6 S4 cab) I would say you don't need to do much to make this engine sound loud and obnoxious. I'd say your best bang for the buck would be Leistung's Supersport exhaust.

http://www.leistungmotorsports.com/vw-touareg-audi-q7-supersport-rear-exhaust/

I've had three different Leistung systems on my Touareg and each of them had their own positives and negatives. Drone was what I couldn't stand with the first two I tried so I moved to my current setup (see sig below) and have no drone whatsoever. I've got a STaSIS system on my S4 and it sounds really good but it still has a low end drone as any non-resonated 2.5" exhaust will.

Search for "Leistung" or "exhaust" and you will find a plethora of exhaust discussions; no need to reiterate what has already been discussed ad nausea.

I will say that the Touareg V8 sounds raspier than my S4 which I attribute to the uneven lengths of the Touareg exhaust. The driver side has an extra section for it to join the passenger side and I truly think it is what makes the pulses of the exhaust uneven, thus making the raspy sound upon exit. The X-pipe in my axle-back system has helped immensely in reducing the rasp but prior to being warm, it's still pretty noticeable. My S4 never sounds raspy no matter what.

Needless to say, I still consider my Touareg to be a work-in-progress.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I just noticed they are now offering what was once a prototype when I had it.

VW Touareg/Audi Q7 SR1 Rear Exhaust - leistungmotorsports.com

This system sounded the best of the three and I swear (using my butt dyno) there was a noticeable improvement in performance. It still had some low end drone that I ultimately didn't want to deal with as I have two little ones and their hearing to consider. ;-)

·
Registered
69 Posts
The touareg will have major drone just like my s4. Throw a long resonator on both pipes then nice mufflers or no mufflers. If you just want to be loud don't spend crazy money cuz down the road you will want to change it.

Just cut and weld your own crap and save money. I only spent crazy money on exhaust years ago because I wanted a quiet growl on a 4.2. Fast intentions was it for me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We are telling you both ends of question to help you decide. I own a 3.2 touareg only because it is an 06 with 41k and spotless old man driven. I want to hear the vr sound but i dont want much noise or drone. I have this as a family vehicle. I think I am going to replace the huge suitcase with walker quiet flow mufflers and make v8 tips fit. The walker will obviously flow better but I don't think it will make a noise difference which I would be happy with. I just don't want to spend a lot on borla to find out its to loud for me lol.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The touareg will have major drone just like my s4.
My set up has no drone whatsoever. If you are referring to removing the rear suitcase and doing a straight-pipe scenario then I totally agree. However, a resonated system such as mine will not cause any drone. I honestly think my exhaust is almost perfect for a daily driver, but some days I want to hear just a touch more and debate doing an additional X-pipe where the stock H-Pipe is.

OP - I think that replacing the stock suitcase with something like one of Magnaflow's (which is done a lot more than anything else and everyone seems happy) offerings will probably give you what you want. It won't put you out of too much $ either if it ends up being a failed experiment.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the suitcase removed and pipe welded in place, and the only drone I get is at 33MPH...the drone's not bad at all and I rarely stay 33MPH for very long.
I also constantly get compliments on how good it sounds, with the most popular question being: "You gotta Porsche exhaust on there?" :)

·
Learner
4,712 Posts
Hate the drone. So went with this option- Go with the actuator and forget the drone, set it as you like, make it sound as you like at any rpm.
Heres the startup on my v8tdi. Will record the idle rumble, sounds pretty cool too
https://youtu.be/lmdtCWbnoEg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts