Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been chompin' at the bit to get some software loaded to the Touareg. JHM is my go-to company, when it comes down to raw Audi V8 performance. They do such great things with this platform, I just wish I could do more business with them.

But, after weeks of trying to find someone local to there shop, with no success. And even more time dedicated to finding a back up ECU to ship off to them... I gave up. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my local tuner... Evolution Motorsports.

If you are unfamiliar with their work, they are Porsche guys. Tried and true! They build insanely powerful Porsches all day, while still dabbling in the Audi/VW scene. So I had a few email exchanges with their team and made an appointment.

I stopped by at 11am and left by 1230pm. It was that easy. So if you can afford the downtime of a couple days, and wanna do the overnight shipping route... know that it should be a quick turnaround time.

NOW THE REVIEW:

My first impressions... definitely not the same WHOA!!! night & day difference like when you "chip" a turbocharged Audi/VW. But, I didn't expect that either.

So far, it seems like its a lil smoother to accelerate... and it seems to keep wanting to pull as it moves through the higher RPMs. With the understanding that the ECU still needs a couple hundred miles to really adjust... I'll have to keep an eye on it, as it adapts to the changes.

I'll let yall know what I think, in the end, after a week or so. Because you know the ultimate, "Was it worth the money?" will be the clincher. That will of course be up to you. For me, I just had to know what else could be done to get some more power out of this thing!!! (Minus a supercharger...)

But, something to consider... I did NOT pay what their website lists as the price. I won't disclose publicly what I did pay, out of respect to them. But, if you do decide to pull the trigger, feel free to email them or PM me for some details... :)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Good for you. Keep us posted as you log more miles on the tune.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So... here we are... almost a week of the new software. I must say, it is still quite snappy. I bit more get up and go, is really the best way to describe it. It still wants to keep pulling hard all the way through the redline. Where as before, you knew when you got up there, it ran outta umpfh.

It took a couple days for the ECU to do some adjusting. But I think its pretty solid now. So if you have been looking for that lil something extra, I think its safe to say this is a trigger that needs pulling.

I will say though, without doing some of the other modifications to the intake boxes and the exhaust, I don't think the full potential of these motors can really be achieved. You really gotta open them up and let them breath.

So, if I had to advise... get some good flow from the intake boxes, eliminate as many restrictions as you can in the exhaust path, and get the tune! I think you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replied by PM, just to keep it private and out of respect for the business. Don't wanna advertise a different price if their published one is higher...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a lil update on how the Touareg has been with this software...

AWESOME!!!

The intake and exhaust work has been nice. The lil JHM bolt-ons are pretty sweet. But I must say, with the cooler air out... the FSI is just screamin with plenty of get up and go on the top end. It just wants to go like a raped gorilla!

Just sayin... Yall should budget for a lil software upgrade... :)

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I purchased a flash tool from Malone for my TDI and to my surprise, it was able to read and save the stock file from my T2 V8 FSI.

I contacted Malone and he said he had a tune for the Touareg V8 FSI. So after I emailed him some VCDS logs and my stock file, he sent me back his tune. I had similar first impressions as you did especially better throttle response and smooth power delivery up to redline. Yesterday I was asked for more VCDS logs to see if there was any room for improvement so I sent them off to Malone. I was told I'd get an update tomorrow. Great customer service.

With the tune, JHM lightened crank pulley and custom exhaust, this Touareg really comes alive! I like that updates can be done right in my garage with the Flashzilla. I am going to take it to a AWD Dyno after I decarb the intake.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's awesome! I agree, having the capabilities to flash updates on the fly is pretty sweet. It eliminates the "off-the-shelf" tune factor. As much as we all have the same vehicles, we really don't. A custom file for a specific vehicle should always be superior than a universal flash.

So for that... I'm jealous!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BUT!!! We may now have the founder of JHMotorsports as a forum member. Maybe we will have some more options coming...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Your correct about "cookie cutter" tunes. Every vehicle is different and so are the atmospheric conditions where they are operated. I'll probably do some more VCDS logs in a week or two and get another update. He likes to make subtle changes to make sure everything is safe and sound. I've been a good customer of his and plan on giving him more of my business in the future.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
BUT!!! We may now have the founder of JHMotorsports as a forum member. Maybe we will have some more options coming...
I saw that and I want test pipes!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
:D Too bad mine is a VR6 but at least I am here now. I will keep poking.
I was hoping to send my primary cats to JHM to see if the B8 S5 test pipes are a match (or even close).....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hate to resurrect but since I can't PM my options are limited. I'm wondering if a lightened flywheel (JHM) and tune would be beneficial for my want. I'm mostly after the driveability factor more than anything else. It's not bad at all right now, but I feel like there's room to iron a few kinks out. I'd prefer to leave the exhaust stock, and not really mess with the JHM spacers. Curious what you think about your Malone tune Perry, as well as the EVOMS tune Grifn used. Did the tune do anything detrimental to the mpg? All replies appreciated!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to clarify... JHM does not have a lightened flywheel for the Touareg. It's a light weight crank pulley.

And you will want to clarify what kinks you want worked out. Prior to upgrading a vehicle, it should be current on maintenance. Good plugs, coil packs, carbon cleaning, etc... Without addressing these things, performance upgrades will just bring these weaknesses in front of you faster. So be more specific in what your goals are and we can point you in the right direction.

I think I laid out a pretty good description of what the Evoms tune plus other mods have done for my performance upgrades. Feel free to click on my other posts to see some other things that can be done.

You may not want to do the JHM spacers, but you WILL want to have a carbon cleaning performed. Since the best way is manually rather than chemically, and removing the manifold is required to do so... it just makes sense to put the spacers in while you have the manifold off.

As far as MPG... as with most performance upgrades, you don't really lose MPG. That's all in how you drive your vehicle. I would like to think that most people that do performance upgrades have a heavier foot. So MPG, especially when driving a V8, really shouldn't be a big concern.

Are you going to lose MPG... no, not if you drive the vehicle the way its intended. Typical grocery getter activity. But if you romp on it, and drive it like its an S5 to really see your performance gains, then yes... you will see you burn through more fuel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the clarity there. I just did the throttle reset (gearbox reset?) the other day to try and work out a flat spot at low speed. It seems to have helped, and will probably get a bit better with the more miles I put on it. Maybe I'll look into pulling the manifold off this summer when I have a bit of spare time. I'm not the most mechanically inclined but I do believe some good tutorials were posted (probably yours?). Thanks for the response, and if you don't mind shoot me a PM for where you landed on your tune price. I know you preferred to keep it unpublished.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts