Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Hey Dapinitial,

Is that kit for air suspension? I've only installed a kit for springs so can only comment on that. On-road was no change in comfort that I noticed. I'm sure there was an impact in handling with the higher centre of gravity but I never drove my car hard around corners as it's no sports car.

The main problem I had was that there was no small subframe drop when I bought my kit, so the CV's would creak, click and moan when steering at full lock or when the suspension was extended. The axles went from being level before the lift, to about 6 degrees after the lift when resting on flat ground. This means the CV's are wearing slowly every single revolution they make. I place reliability above all else, and I was too worried that my CV's might give way somewhere remote so I took the kit off. Very bummed as I loved the lift.

I'll give the 2.5" kit a crack one day, with the 1" subframe drop just to get the axles level. With some 32" wheels will still get some decent clearance.
Disagree. The Touareg fares higher in the figure 8 and skidpad rating than many sports cars do - they also fare extremely well in the canadian moose test.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just fitted the Eurowise 3" lift WITH 1" subframe drop on my 2013 TDI. Other than not being able to get one single alignment adjustment (right rear castor) into spec, barely at that, no complaints here. Certainly do not have axle problems. Only crappy thing is since the subframe drop is front and rear, they included exhaust hangar spacers, which work as advertised, but now my tips don't exactly sit right in the bumper. So there's that. I've driven approx 600 miles on the road with this kit and it's just fine.

Tires ordered, 265/60/20 (32.5") hope to have them mounted next week and see the truck complete.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just fitted the Eurowise 3" lift WITH 1" subframe drop on my 2013 TDI. Other than not being able to get one single alignment adjustment (right rear castor) into spec, barely at that, no complaints here. Certainly do not have axle problems. Only crappy thing is since the subframe drop is front and rear, they included exhaust hangar spacers, which work as advertised, but now my tips don't exactly sit right in the bumper. So there's that. I've driven approx 600 miles on the road with this kit and it's just fine.

Tires ordered, 265/60/20 (32.5") hope to have them mounted next week and see the truck complete.
On the T1 facelift the exhaust tips can be angled upwards to return them to the correct position. There is a cerclage holding them onto the side of the rear box... is it the same on the newer versions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Following on from my previous post a while back... I've had a few issues since fitting the 2.5 in lift and 1 in drop. Initially I had to re-remove one of my rear struts as the nut at the top worked itself loose. This was symptomatic with a click/clunk when going over a bump in the road that slowly worsening with time.

I made my own SF drop and decided to place 3mm hard rubber pads between the Alu pucks and the chassis to avoid movement. This did completely the opposite and the pads were removed in a rather sorry state. Don't do this!

I've had a continuing double click that happens when turning corners, sounds like its coming from the front of the car, not particularly one side. I've checked and tightened everything including the alignment bolts, the subframe bolts... no idea what the cause is!

Finally - my solution for the exhaust was to replace the bolts with a greater length and some 2cm spacers which were sections of aluminium pipe and to re align the tips. Stops the exhaust hitting the subframe as it passes it.

Hope this all helps and if anyone has any bright ideas on the clicking I've got I'm all ears!

·
Registered
4 Posts
considering all is written above and in other topics about lifting, please excuse my ignorance, but if a suspension kit as seikel is used, don`t we get the same problems with the CV joints, subframe position, exhaust...etc?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think so…. Any adjustment of the angle of the shafts going from the diff to the hub will increase the potential wear. Therefore any kit that just lengthens the strut/spring construct will run this risk.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Urszilla, the Siekel kit only lifts your car 30mm, vs 62.5mm (2.5in) of the Eurowise kit. With my Eurowise 2 inch kit my axles were resting at 6 degrees down when the car was parked, vs being dead level without a lift.

I would assume the Siekel kit would have your axles sitting at around 3 degrees as it is about half the lift. So technically, yes, it would still place additional strain on your CV joints every revolution, but it would be a lot less and may be negligible. Based on some of the reviews of the Seikel kit on here, there doesn't seem to be any adverse effects.

You have the same issue with all 4WD's and even on Landcruiser forums they will say you should limit your lift to about an inch if you aren't going to use a subframe drop.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts