Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 2004 v6 touareg. So far I love the rig! Unfortunately I am battling the notorious HID headlight issue and I have one more issue as well...maybe someone can be of assistance.
The issue is this: The previous owner installed a euro switch (has 3 positions; off, parking lights, headlights). When I turn the switch to the parking light position (position 2 on dial) the headlights turn on as if I rolled it all the way over. Shouldn't it be just the parking lights and no headlights? I have a vagcom cable, is there any change I can make to turn the lights off in parking light mode? or am I missing something or should I do some more electrical trouble shooting?
The second issue I have is with the HID lights themselves. I get the error code to check my headlights. I ran the vagcom on this issue and I was getting headlight short to ground. Headlight output is very weak and also flickers. I swapped in new bulbs, same issue. I ordered a new DS1 kit from DDMtunning as well as a antiflicker/error code eliminator cable to go with it. What is going on? I've been reading up and this seems to be a common issue.

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
I can't answer the switch question, but are the lights seated tight in the buckets? You will get this flickering and possible outage if they are not locked down right when reinstalling them in the buckets.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a similar issue after about 2 months of operation (lights on in all positions) with a euro switch made somewhere in the far east that I retrofitted to an MKIV Jetta. I replaced the switch with an OEM unit (hard to find!), and never had a recurrence.

·
Administrator
4,328 Posts
Euro switch should have four positions: Off, Auto (Tunnel Icon), Parking, and On (with two pull out stops for front and rear fogs). You sounds like you have the original switch.
Is your vehicle coded for euro lights (aka six light salute)? Do you have DRLs enabled in the MFI? If the answer to both is yes, try turning off DRL and then retest.

As for your lights, could be wiring or ballast.
See the biggest current thread for discussion on this issue.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/dismal-lighting-fix-needed-led-d1s-conversion-225617.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did disable the DRL and put it in the MFI. I was under the impression I had a euro switch after reading other threads, but I could be incorrect. There is one thing odd about these headlights. I used the supplied took to unscrew them from the bucket, but mine were missing the clip you are suppose to depress and pull out; on both sides. Is there a replacement part for those? Also what is this 6 light salute you speak of?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Euro switch should have four positions: Off, Auto (Tunnel Icon), Parking, and On (with two pull out stops for front and rear fogs).
Not necessarily. Seemingly the first owner configured the car at a standard trim level.
When I turn the switch to the parking light position (position 2 on dial) the headlights turn on as if I rolled it all the way over. Shouldn't it be just the parking lights and no headlights?
Yes, it should be just the aka american "parking" lights on and no headlights with the switch in that position. May be something programmed wrongly.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that photo of a euro switch? I have one in my MKIV Jetta. But I'm not sure the one in my Touareg looks like that. Any idea what the programing might be to fix this issue?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Is that photo of a euro switch? I have one in my MKIV Jetta. But I'm not sure the one in my Touareg looks like that. Any idea what the programing might be to fix this issue?
That is the switch I have inside my Touareg. Sorry, I can't help you. Suggest you to contact VW authrized garage/electrician. Many VAG parts are interchangeable between models.

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
Blackntan, if your switch does not look like Nords, then you don't have a Euro switch. The switch we got had no way to turn on just parking lights. You will have off, auto, on and pull for fog lights, that is it.
Are you sure your lights are locked down right and not loose in the bucket? The tab is just to keep them from falling out if they would be unlocked while driving. I would think you need a whole new light assembly if the tabs are missing. Doubt you can just replace them.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
You can replace quite a few of the parts on a Touareg headlight, but looking at the parts diagram, I don't think the spring retainer clip is one of them.

Use a ziptie on each headlight for extra security just like those people who have broken their headlight release mechanism!

Type six light salute into the Search function on here ......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so here is another question as it seems finding a euro switch is pretty hard to do. I have a euro switch in my mkiv jetta. I wonder if they are compatible?

·
Registered
703 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts