Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the Euro style license plates on the vehicles?
I like the look of them and was wondering where I should look at getting them.
Can you go to your local DMV or do you get them online?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There is no such thing as a Euro style plate as the countries in Europe have different formats for car registration plates.

I suspect you mean German style plates!

·
Registered
718 Posts
There is no such thing as a Euro style plate as the countries in Europe have different formats for car registration plates.

Downunder the transport authority has the option of "Euro style plates".
Physically longer and with a combo of letters, numerals and spaces....
That's what they call them. Dub

·
Learner
4,980 Posts
Downunder the transport authority has the option of "Euro style plates". Physically longer and with a combo of letters, numerals and spaces.... That's what they call them. Dub
Quite like the euro, actually only the front one which is smaller in size. The rear one is too big for my choice

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
when will we see a global movement driven by the car companies to modernise and take control of the shape of plates. The need to stand up for their property if they sell it in a certain country should rule .... especial if govt can not take affect

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
898 Posts
when will we see a global movement driven by the car companies to modernise and take control of the shape of plates. The need to stand up for their property if they sell it in a certain country should rule .... especial if govt can not take affect
The EU copes with all it's variations, and truly global car makers cope with different bumper/fender mouldings - so what's the problem ?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Bananas ... it all starts with bananas

The EU says a banana is something that the whole other world does not recognise

How bent / straight are your bananas ?

How ..... na... forget it ... to many things the EU controls

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Miss EU but dont miss the rules

·
Registered
359 Posts
Has anyone put the Euro style license plates on the vehicles?
I like the look of them and was wondering where I should look at getting them.
Can you go to your local DMV or do you get them online?

Thanks for the help.
Euro style plates.... Aussie style. But these are Australian.

Cheers Paul.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I bought my first car in Germany. The frame (with Autohaus logo and tel number) fitted perfectly for Russian plates. Our local authorities forced me to return my German transit plates for destruction at registration stage. So, I believe "Euro style" standard does exist!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the info. I guess I am looking for the German style plates. The longer rectangular ones, instead of the standard squarer ones we have here in the U.S.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe California allows people to run the "euro" style front plate. I think there may be a couple of other states as well. Not for sure though. They all have to have the standard state plate on the rear. I was just curious if we can do that in Minnesota or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I grew up in Florida. They don't require a front plate like here in MN. You can put whatever you want on the front of your car or nothing at all. I bought my euro plate here: GERMANPLATES.COM Personalized European License Plates
It's great quality! I think if the world gos to a global plate it will be a bar code or something that can get scanned quickly. Or maybe no plates and just a chip or something that can broadcast your info for the powers that be!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not looking forward to the day when the "Powers That Be" can just get your info like that. Although, some of that is already happening. YIKES!! oh well.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Bananas ... it all starts with bananas

The EU says a banana is something that the whole other world does not recognise

How bent / straight are your bananas ?

How ..... na... forget it ... to many things the EU controls
The EU has minimal control over number plates, so every country can be, and is, different in terms of size, colour, font, format. The only thing standardised is the International Country Identifier but that's only within the EU as road travel to places outside the EU is rare.

Nevertheless, there's enough commonality that cars don't need different number plate recesses in different countries.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I believe California allows people to run the "euro" style front plate. I think there may be a couple of other states as well. Not for sure though. They all have to have the standard state plate on the rear. I was just curious if we can do that in Minnesota or not.
I don't know what the rules are now, but 30 years ago a colleague moved from UK to California, taking his Daimler-Jaguar with him. He requested and got the same letter/number combination as the car had in the UK so he just left his UK front number plate in place.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Someday the "powers that be" will just track you by your smart phone and listen to everything you say even when you are not talking. Wait that is now... License plates are the least of our concern. I am more into legal / local US custom plates (not vanity, just different than normal color plates). I stayed in Germany for a while and got tired of the "Euro" thing. I have a real West German late 80's vintage Düsseldorf plate in my Garage, but that is where it stays. Somehow it escaped being destroyed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts