Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new here so thanks for letting me in.

I was hoping to pick your brains about an issue I have been having with my Touareg. First off, my Treg is 55 Reg (2005) V6 Petrol, converted to LPG.

I have been getting the ESP light on the dash intermittently and haven't worried much about it as I've not had any noticeable loss of traction. Today it came on again and I noticed that the PRND indicator on the dash is fully lit, i.e. it no longer shows me which gear I am in and the tiptronic also doesn't work.

I have also noted the steering has become heavier in the last few weeks.

I have read various posts about the ESP light on the forum here and some suggest it may be the MAF sensor. Do you think the symptoms I have listed are consistent with that diagnosis?

I am a little concerned that it may be a faulty ABS pump as I had that before in my old Golf Mk5 and had to fight tooth and nail to get VW to pay for a replacement. I really don't want to have to go through all that again!

So, before I go off to the dealer and pay for a VAG Com diagnostic, if anyone has any experience of these faults I'd be very grateful to hear your advice.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
try to locate a friend nearby with VCDS or get the cable yourself. It pays for itself very quickly.

There could be a thousand things wrong. Getting it scanned will bring that down to a handful of possibles that can be easily traced if you know where to start.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
ross-tech.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for your reply.

Any idea where I can get that cable/software? As you can tell I'm no mechanic.
You could also buy something like this. VAG 409 1 OBD2 USB Auto Diagnostics Scanner VCDS Software for VW Audi | eBay

Use VCDS lite that is shareware from ross tech, they will not offer any support for these cables though. I have been using it for a few years and it has served me well. If you then want to upgrade the software to the full version this can be done for $99.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
it does not go up to full version for $99. It releases some functionality within VCDS Lite

If you want to use the latest version of VCDS with long coding helper etc. you need to buy the original cable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have never needed anything more than the basic functionality, so I cannot comment on that.

Its been great for reading clearing error codes (Which is what the OP needs) and getting rid of seat belt chime. Also programmed my old car to talk properly to the towbar wiring.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The PRND issue has many threads about it if you search. It is usually caused by a problem with the circuit board under the shifter. There are a couple of magnets that easily dislodge and then the tiptronic function stops working. Had it happen to me last year. Cause was coins that found their way under the black shift mat apparently.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
There is also a UK site

myTreg forums

where some members have VCDS which they will use on your car if you are local for a few beer tokens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts