Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just trying to understand expected behavior on slick roads, not pure ice, but slush. Specifically, I was at a stop making a left turn out of a neighborhood. I pressed on the gas pedal more than I know I should but I wanted to see what ESP would do. I thought once it senses traction loss, it would cut throttle and maybe kick on some brakes. As I turned the steering wheel left and accelerated, the tires came loose, I proceeded to go straight, rpms just climbed, and no abs chatter. Seemed like nothing kicked on for me. Also when making a right turn not from a stop on same slushy conditions I accelerated to make the rear end come loose just to see what ESP would do. Again nothing happened, instead I had to correct myself. Only time I got it to do something was going straight and going pretty fast on same slushy stuff. In this situation I heard some abs chatter and the ESP light (squiggly lines) came on. Overall, the system seems very insensitive, at least compared to the Tacoma I had before. That one was actually too sensitive! No pleasing me I guess! If some are wondering, I have Revo 2s with pretty good thread (7/32s) but this question has more to do with when will ESP kick on. I know I was more playing around, but at the same time wanted to be familiar with the system and make sure it's functioning correctly before I actually need it. Thoughts please?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Remember, ESP differs from traction control. It's more to control the stability of the vehicle on roads during high speeds. The traction control should be more if the car was front or rear wheel drive, and it would kick on if you lost traction. Otherwise, the 4xmotion just handles the loss of traction by sending power to the other wheels.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
996 Posts
My experience is that flooring it and turning on snow will cause power to be cut so that you don't skid out. It takes getting used to, especially if you're used to initiating some fishtailing to get around corners. I find it to be a bit too much power cut, and sometimes I turn it off.

Yours sounds like it wasn't working properly.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea that's what I'm wondering. But if it's not functioning wouldn't I get a fault code to show up in vagcom?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is ABS plus? While it is quieter than my Tacoma for sure, I still hear it when braking on ice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
It works in conjunction with the traction control system, supposedly stopping the vehicle 20% further.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It works in conjunction with the traction control system, supposedly stopping the vehicle 20% further.

Thats worse. Unless you mean 20% shorter/sooner/earlier/faster? >:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We got more slush today! About a week ago I coded my trans back to 4216 for North American setting from 4200 (ROW). Just curious to see if it had an affect on ESC. While I know the slush today is not exactly the same as a couple weeks ago, esc certainly seemed to kick on more today. Wonder if 4200 coding is less sensitive?

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 0.02:

If you break all four tires loose at the same time, ESP isn't going to recognize a problem, save for whatever acceleration sensors are present disagreeing with the steering angle input (ie. sensors say you're going straight, yet the wheels are turned left/right). If I mat the throttle on ice or something slippery, with the steering wheel straight, there's a noticeable delay (if I get any before I apply the brakes/let off the throttle) in TCS intervention.

Likewise, lock up all four wheels at the exact same time, and the ABS system won't necessarily work because it operates on a wheel speed differential basis. My understanding is that the Touareg (and I'm sure many other vehicles nowadays) has sensors to detect the actual acceleration of the vehicle to allow the TCS/ABS to work under these circumstances.

Slush is far and away the worst (next to ice) traction-wise that I've driven in, so it sounds like you're just loosing traction at all four corners and the system is "working as intended".

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've noticed that under similar circumstances (turning from a stop on snow/slush/ice) with my '15 that it does like to hang it's tail out quite a bit, to the point I correct it before any aids kick on. They do kick on if I don't correct the slide (I've played around like you to see) I attributed it to the 40/60 power split f/r. That also seems to be the biggest difference between on road and off road modes. It's much harder to kick the tail out due to the electronics and also what feels like a 50/50 power split.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts