Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine symbol appeared on the Touareg dashboard so grabbed the iPad and plugged in the ODB connector to engine management system which has a Wifi dongle. (Best Christmas present ever, Anne & Jeff) Opened the Engine scan app which connects to ODB port on the car. Error code was P2112 - Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Closed. After some Googling I found out what is was and where it was. I removed the Throttle unit and opened up it and found the reason for the failure. It uses nylon gears to open and close the flap. The teeth had worn away so it's buggered.
So I found a genuine OEM part on eBay for $500 including delivery from the UK. Wow that is expensive, but is it. I nicked down to VW in Brighton and see what they they are asking, $900 !!!!!. $400 more !!!. Now the Touareg has done 120K and the part failed because it uses nylon gears to operate the air flap. VW must be raking it in given it used across their vehicle range.
Order part from UK, will be here hopefully end of Feb. I love the Internet.
Need one go to Brand New Throttle Body for Audi A6 A8 Q7 VW Touareg | eBay

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I wonder if this would be a good 3D scanner / printer opportunity as it looks like the gear component is removable...or separate from the throttle unit? I have no experience with a 3D printer BTW, so I am only curious if someone else might... It would seem that you could buy the new part, take it home, scan the new gear component and print yourself out as many as you like...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This unit has moving parts, including an electric motor that moves the cam. You could print out new nylon cog and cam.the issue is removing the old nylon cam which is attached to the metal cam

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, quick delivery from UK to Aust, 5 days. Openned up the gear mechanism and applied grease to nylon cogs prior installation (10 minute install). Hopefully this will reduce wear. Great saving $500Aus delivered and installed. Imagine if I took to VW, it would have been $900 plus labour

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now for some new tires. Got 42,000Km (26,000M) out of PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON 255/60R17 106V. Is that good mileage. Still a bit of meat on them due yearly rotation but rather refresh now than later. About $1000 ($700US) with alignment fitted. Big spend month :mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts