Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hoping to get some help trouble shooting my '08 V8 Treg. I do want to say I am new on here so be easy on me :grin2: I do have a simple, handheld "VAG" scanner but that is currently out of commission. Anyway, here's what's going on... I have an EPC light on, on my dash. I drove it for about 11 hours yesterday and the cruise did not work :serious: but the brake lights did. Weird thing is, when I got in to go to work this morning, the cruise worked just fine the entire hour drive but the light was still on. I know that normally when EPC is on, it is just the brake switch which is known to go bad. Could this still be the case even though the brake lights work just fine? If not, any suggestions as to what this could be?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The starting point with any VAG car is to get your it scanned with VCDS.

Cheap scanners are not the real deal.

Without accurate fault codes, it's pure guesswork.

·
Registered
70 Posts
As nooby says, get a proper VCDS scan before you do anything else.

In my experience, the EPC (electronic powertrain control) light will come on anytime something is out of place with the engine. Could be a faulty sensor, intermittent communication loss, failed actuator, etc. hence the need for a full VCDS scan.

If it is an intermittent problem, a restart may clear the light. I've had it come on once, with a drop in low end power. Restarting fixed it. This morning, I had it come on because my throttle actuator was malfunctioning (it froze up), and the light went off when it unstuck itself.

But since it could be anything, get it scanned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And how do I have that done? I'm assuming taking it to a dealer... Sounds expensive. Any idea what it costs to have that done?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As nooby says, get a proper VCDS scan before you do anything else.

In my experience, the EPC (electronic powertrain control) light will come on anytime something is out of place with the engine. Could be a faulty sensor, intermittent communication loss, failed actuator, etc. hence the need for a full VCDS scan.

If it is an intermittent problem, a restart may clear the light. I've had it come on once, with a drop in low end power. Restarting fixed it. This morning, I had it come on because my throttle actuator was malfunctioning (it froze up), and the light went off when it unstuck itself.

But since it could be anything, get it scanned.
Also, I read on here that EPC stood for "electronic pedal control" I take it that's not accurate? What others were saying is that all you have to do when that light comes on is replace the switch for the brake pedal. There is a noise on acceleration that sounds like a bird chirping pretty fast. It is, for the most part, only under medium acceleration. I plan on getting it scanned but is this something that I should mention when getting it diagnosed?

·
Registered
70 Posts
As far as I know, it stands for electronic powertrain/power control, although I'm sure there are multiple interpretations. Either way, its generally engine-related.

For a VCDS scan, you can either buy a dongle yourself here: Ross-Tech: VCDS

Or you can call around to local shops to see if they have one. The dealer's scanner is similar although not the same capabilities. Also, check in the regional section of these forums to see if anyone nearby is willing to meet up and run a scan for you.

Edit: I'd start with a scan and see if the noise is relevant to the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts