Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even the dealer wouldn't believe this one!

I stopped to get lunch before a round of golf yesterday. I got back to my Treg and put the key in the ignition. It felt different--loose. I took the key out and put it back in. I noticed that the entire ignition module(if that is the right word) inside the dash was loose. I knew this was trouble but tried to turn to start. I couldn't get it started. WHen I took the key out, the whole ignition unit dropped into the abyss somewhere in my dash.

Called roadside ass. :) They sent a tow truck out. They can't tow it because it needs to be in something other than park. We can't get it out of park because there is no where to stick the key. So, the dealership has no idea what to do and my Treg sits in the Quiznos parking lot--still. Maybe I can sell it to Quiznos for use as a signpost.

· Registered
2 Posts
I had the exact same problem. First we unscrewed the dashboard to try and pull the ignition module back up but were not able to turn it around so that we could put the key in it. We spent 2 hours trying to do this. Roadside assistance offered to tow us to the nearest Volkswagon dealer but it was 5:45 on a Saturday afternoon and we were out of town and couldn't wait until Monday to fix it so we finally cut through the dashboard. Of course Volkswagon does not want to pay to replace the dashboard. How did you resolve your problem?

· Registered
2 Posts
We asked roadside assistance if they would send someone to help us in the parking lot and they refused- they said the only thing they could do was call a tow truck. When the driver of the tow truck spoke to us he said he couldn't help us either- he could only tow us. Believe me we tried.

· Registered
12 Posts
Missing Ignition Switch

:chainsaw: VwV got cheap on this one.........its a little (fragile) plastic nut

that can easily be over-tourqued and come loose with time. The best fix

is to use the Porsche version (which I believe is all that VW is sending to

the parts depots now) :-&

· Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Re: Missing Ignition Switch

V10ticket said:

According to the parts list, VW changed over from a Phaeton part to a Touareg part at VIN 28026. Of course this doesn't mean the nut on every car is tight enough from the factory.

· Registered
328 Posts
Re: Missing Ignition Switch

spockcat said:
V10ticket said:

According to the parts list, VW changed over from a Phaeton part to a Touareg part at VIN 28026. Of course this doesn't mean the nut on every car is tight enough from the factory.
What are some symptoms that this might be starting to happen for some people? Not that I care, I don't use they key anymore... WEEEEEEEE!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.