Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,

I did a reasonably long trip with my Touareg yesterday (200 miles). This morning the ignition won't turn on and the engine won't turn over.

It has had both batteries replaced in the last 6 months, both reading good voltages. I've tried both keys, using either the push button or the key start. I've tried jump starting from a power pack, but nothing!

Has anyone else experienced this?

There has been an ABS light on the dashboard, and this is being sorted out next week, but other than that, no other issues? I would not have thought this would have caused this current problem?

2008 V10 with 125000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Must get a fault code reader to see where to go next. Not sure from these symptoms where to next.

Pete.

Reactions: V10Driver

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
From what you wrote, you most likely have a problem with either the ignition lock or the access and start authorization module. Bus, as above, read the fault codes first, and go from there. Also check battery voltage if you didn't yet.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
Disconnect the ground from the battery under the seat, Leave it open for a few minutes and reconnect. That should solve your problem.

Same thing happened on my 2008 V10tdi

The guy that bought it from me mentioned that there was a newer Kessy that would solve the problem but he never bought it....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear all,

Thank you for the help and advice. Thankfully back up and running, although I can't see why it all stopped.

For info, 12.9V on the front battery, 13.2V on the rear battery. No fault codes on my little code reader, other than the rear ABS sensor (mentioned above). I disconnected the front battery for 5 minutes, reconnected and hey presto!

Most importantly, thank you for your help and advice!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
OBD readers are almost useless for a VW. All that your little code reader is good for is if the check engine light is on, it will tell you what that code is.

Why is that bad?

Because a VCDS does about1000 times more than that. If you plan to take your vehicle to the dealer or mechanic for every little thing, you are fine with the obd reader.

If you plan to do the least amount of work on your own VW, you must invest the $200 to get the VCDS.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
VCDS unfortunately won’t help wIth the problem he is having! Been there done that!

Reactions: Crispy3

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Agreed that we will not fix the no start with just a vcds readout.

But, you still need vcds if you own a Touareg and do any work on it yourself. The $200 limited vin VCDS is a good investment.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
Agreed that we will not fix the no start with just a vcds readout.

But, you still need vcds if you own a Touareg and do any work on it yourself. The $200 limited vin VCDS is a good investment.
So says everyone that did not have an answer for the gentleman....

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Something useful would be to identify the root cause of this issue. All we have now is a hack, a workaround. Unhook the battery and force a reboot.

We could just tell the people who have the battery drain problem to install a battery cutoff switch, but replacing the bad Mosfets in the kessy was a much better solution.

For both issues, Replacing the entire Kessy is not finding the root cause. It is the lazy VW dealer solution. A solution that would cost the customer several thousand dollars, out of warranty.

The only good part of this hack is that it appears that the reboots are not needed very often, but that works against finding the cause.

What would be nice would be to find out why this issue is occurring and how to prevent it. The more random and infrequent an issue happens, the less likely we are to find the cause.

From what little research I have done so far, the correct reset procedure is.
1. Apply the break pedal and attempt to communicate with the access start module.
---scan module for codes.
2. If unable to communicate with the access start module
---Remove SB41 fuse for 10 seconds and reinstall
---Vehicle should now start and run.

There were several TSB about the no start condition. They tended to fall into three groups.
1. Check and replace the access start module.
2. Check and fix the chassis ground points.
3. Check and replace the defective positive battery cables in the 2004 and 2005 models.

Several dealers also replaced the steering wheel modules. Reports indicate that in most cases, the random no start soon returned after the steering wheel fix.

Also it is worth mentioning that VW replaced the kessy module with the wrong kessy very early on. If your vehicle has a replacement kessy in it currently, it could be the wrong module... if it was replaced early on.

Now, I have learned that with VCDS (at least with the T1) you have what I call "soft errors." These are error codes that exist at the moment of the malfunction but will disappear without being logged. IE: a no start soft error will disappear the second it starts. I would love a full VCDS scan of a vehicle that is currently not starting at the time it is not starting. Obviously, unless you travel with a laptop and a CTek charger, have the time to scan, and are really close to an electrical outlet... this gets very difficult.

Yes. I know that they say that all important errors are logged. That is mostly true. I have seen soft errors come and go. They do happen. Sometimes they have the info you need to quickly find the solution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts