Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 V6 70,000 mi. Tonight I drove 30 + miles for shopping. Vehicle was warmed for 10 - 15 min before highway speeds. After 30 mi arrived where I was going and it sounded like I just traded for a V10 TDI. Guessed it was starved for oil but at max. Definately sounds like top end noise. Added some engine additive no luck. Any ideas ? Sound is pretty constant idle - 1600 RPM then tappers to nothing. Driving me and the car next to me nuts! If it were a GM V motor I would say it was a collasped lifter noise. This can't be the case here. Thankx.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Not sure about the 3.2VR6 but the 2.8VR6 has a cam chain tensioner that would start to go bad right around the 70K-80K mile mark...it would make a racket. That would be my initial guess but it may be worth getting it properly diagnosed, valvetrain noise is never a good thing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update # 1. Thanks for the foresight Nickm. Could easily say it sounds like that type of noise. This morning went out temp. 25 F. Started vehicle no noise. Drove til oil temp 160, h2o temp 180 + and the noise came back. Next plan to try changing oil and motor flush, also check bearings and wear surfaces of all external engine componets. still believe the noise to be internal topside oil or timing related. Although believe timing noise would remain constant reguardless of temp or rmp. If cam chain tensioner what should I look or expect for? Is there a topside oil scanvenger pump that would go bad? Will say that the truck runs great, leads to believe it isn't a death rattle, prob. a durable item.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Drove til oil temp 160, h2o temp 180 + and the noise came back.
I don't know if yours runs like mine, but my water temp is pegged at 200 degrees way before the oil temp even budges off 150. If it coincides with the temp gauge parking on 200, maybe a stuck thermostat or air pocket is somehow causing the water pump to cavitate/run dry? Just a thought, don't know if it would lead anywhere or not.

Also, when was the last oil change? Did you do it, or know what oil (synthetic, brand, viscosity, etc) was used?

Matt

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update #2 Thanks for the sug's Matt. Finally had time to work on it. Last Change completed be Iffy Lube. Yes I said Iffy. Don't know the type or brand but wife had it do when I was out of country. Said they replaced the filter/oil. It looked like they had never touched the filter area and the filter had gotten so hot overtime that when i touched it, it just fell apart. Any way new filter, 5W20 castrol, and nasty mess down my arm, and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
One of the big things to make sure of is that you use VW-approved oil, which means synthetic in the Touaregs. Castrol Syntec 5w40 is approved, as is Mobil 1 0w40. Non-synthetic, or non-approved oils may be what has given you this problem, so I'd go with a tried and true oil to make sure you don't have problems in the future.

Also, if the oil filter basically fell apart, I'd be changing the oil and filter again in a short time (500-1000 miles or so) so that if there are any filter particles floating around in there that may plug up your new filter, you get them out of the engine ASAP.

Glad to hear it seems to have fixed it. Also, keep in mind that friends don't let friends go to Jiffy Lube, at least with a Touareg! Things like what you just ran into are the primary reason why.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts