Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 2008 3.0 tdi has been running faultlessly and it’s just ticked over 90,000ks.
However, it has just developed an issue where it starts and runs for a second or two and then stops and it repeats this behaviour consistently.
It makes little difference whether the engine is cold or warm but it will continue to run on the second turn of the key. My spidey sense says it is getting fuel on the initial start-up and then the pump/s loses the electrical signal. I am concerned it may be related to the in tank pump.
Can anyone give me a procedure to follow in order to nail down this issue before it becomes a major Problem? Or if this sounds like a common issue can you direct me to some info on the forum. Sorry I don’t have a code reader.
I have been cautious about letting the tank run below ¼ but last week it did run lower than usual and I am hoping these two things are not connected.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mine threw take to workshop so I turned off the engine and restarted and light went out never to be seen again until it went terminal about 3 weeks later. It never stalled intermittently like yours though. Did you have fuel system work done recently?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Starting point is VCDS codes.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
711 Posts
I’m not one just to throw parts at a problem but it is a save investment to change the fuel filter.... when the tank runs low it seems to clog the filter a bit quicker and a dirty fill up can also speed up the filter clogging

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, I do have access to a code reader via a local auto shop so I'll get him to pull some codes and see where to go from there. I'll keep the forum updated once I have more information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all, Thanks for your input so far.
The issue is still happening but I have a procedure to counter it. Be patient.
I have had a tenancy to jump in, grab the key, and go. If I simply turn the key to the "On" position and then buckle my seat belt or wait for the instruction to
"depress the brake pedal" its not a problem. The engine starts and runs without stalling.

I did however order the Ross-Tech Hex-v2 and I did find a couple of codes that will need attention, but they would appear to be unrelated.

3 Faults Found:
001350 - Sensor 1 for Exhaust Temp Bank 1 (G235)
P0546 - 002 - Short to Plus
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 90864 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2017.10.14
Time: 07:04:43

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Temperature: 914.5°C
Temperature: 21.6°C
Voltage: 12.01 V
Torque: 0.0 Nm

001027 - EGR Valve (N18)
P0403 - 002 - Malfunction
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Time: 07:04:53

Freeze Frame:
Voltage: 12.08 V
Lambda: 0.0 %

004142 - Torque Restriction due to Exhaust Temperature
P102E - 000 -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 16
Time: 07:05:21

Freeze Frame:
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str
Temperature: 849.6°C
(no units): 0.89
Mass Air / Rev.: 0.0 mg/str
Duty Cycle: 0.0 %

Now I'm on the trail to track down the culprits that are causing the system to throw these codes. Is it significant that these codes came up with
RPM: 0 /min Speed: 0.0 km/h ?

By the way I'm really impressed with the information now at my finger tips. Later today I'll change the fuel filter without jerking around trying to bridge the fuel pump under the seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
beagle1959
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing