Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I took my 2005 4.2L V8 (approx 98k miles) to the dealership service center for an oil change. The car developed an oil leak because they stripped the oil pan drain plug. After numerous attempts to Helio-coil, the dealership decided to replace both oil pans. The covered labor and I had to cover parts, roughly $470. You probably know that this required a removal of the engine. Fast forward some months, and the car is leaking oil on the passenger side and underneath the right side (facing the engine) of the engine. I brought the car to service center and they cleaned it and put in a dye to isolate where the leak may be when I come for my appointment next week. They've told me that they suspect the oil pan, but that it may be coming from an area above where the transmission meets the engine, or from another location.

Before they put it on the rack and take the engine out to diagnose, I need advice on how to work with the service center. Also, what, and if, I should be out of pocket on any costs? I don't think I should be paying anything because this is on them, but in their initial diagnosis of the oil pan replacement, they mentioned, in their notes, that there was a small leak in the rear of the engine, as well as a valve cover, but that it was small and insignificant. I'm wondering if they're going to use this as excuse to make me pay something. If the car has developed a leak between the transmission and the engine, wasn't this part of the scope of work in the oil pan replacement? Parts and labor are covered for 12k miles and 12 months, and I have a good relationship with the dealership but I think it's protocol to make me pay something, and I just don't feel like it's warranted in this case.

Your advice is much appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts