Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Volkswagen Touareg 3.0 TDI & 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 5.0 TDI
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 08’ VW Touareg V10 TDI second week of July.

manual book was missing so I was not sure how often engine oil need done?

I know other my 2009 Touareg V6 TDI engine oil change normally at 8,000 miles to 10,000 miles

Also I use Liqui Moly full synthetic for everything in engine, transmission, and differential gear too. I need know how often change oil on V10 TDI?

Thanks,
Cruelleadevil1004

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
There's no engine in the world that failed because of too frequent oil changes. And V10s (as R5s) are known to be dependent on frequent oil changes to avoid premature wear.

I personally change it as frequently as I can afford and makes sense to me, considering also environmental impact. That's changing at least every 12 months for me, because I drive like only 3000-4000 miles a year. But even if I'd drive more, I'd never consider changing the oil less frequently than every 6-7000 miles at this age. Especially not on a V10, where the cost of oil is marginal compared to the cost of even the most basic repairs on the engine (and thus also compared to the TCO).

Presumed you have a DPF, you'll need an oil meeting the VW 507 spec. For Liqui Moly that's Top Tec 4200. If you'd happen to not have a DPF (from factory) you should use a VW 506.01 oil, like LM Synthoil Long-Time Plus 0W-30.

·
Registered
2006 V10 TDI
54 Posts
I bought 08’ VW Touareg V10 TDI second week of July.

manual book was missing so I was not sure how often engine oil need done?

I know other my 2009 Touareg V6 TDI engine oil change normally at 8,000 miles to 10,000 miles

Also I use Liqui Moly full synthetic for everything in engine, transmission, and differential gear too. I need know how often change oil on V10 TDI?

Thanks,
Cruelleadevil1004
See the attachment on post #2 (page 26 and 27 of pdf) for 5.0 tdi service internals: V10 TDI Service Intervals

Cliff notes: 10k mi with the warning: (Caution: for vehicle with 10 cylinder TDI engine use only oil fulfilling the VW 505 01 specifications with the viscosity 5W40)

I just bought a v10 this month myself, from what I've picked up on, using the correct vw spec oil is very very important for this engine. For both DPF reasons, but also camshaft lobe wear if you don't use the correct oil.

·
Registered
2006 V10 TDI
54 Posts
The correct oil for Touaregs V10s is NOT 505, and especially NOT 5W40. Older variants use 506.01 which is always 0W30, and newer ones with DPF call for 507 with 5W30 viscosity.

View attachment 238785

There are only a dozen approved 506.01 oils:

View attachment 238786

A complete list of the gazillion approved 507 oils can be found here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165055-0001.pdf
Do you know what changed between 2006 and 2007 that it would specify a different oil? I have a 2006 (w/ DPF) so this is leaving me pretty confused.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Do you know what changed between 2006 and 2007 that it would specify a different oil? I have a 2006 (w/ DPF) so this is leaving me pretty confused.
Yes, they added a DPF, which requires low ash/SAPS oil (that's what VW 507 is), and adapted the engine metallurgy to that. The 506.01 oil has better lubricating/sheer resistance properties, and hence it's still recommended for older variants without DPF, but will generate too much ash when burnt, and because of that can not be used on engines with a DPF, because it will lead to premature saturation (and ultimately failure) of the latter.

That being said according to the table above, you should still use 506.01 in a 2006 V10, even if it has a DPF, because obviously the metallurgy on that has not been yet adapted, and because of that using a 507 oil will lead to increased wear on the cams and bearings.

·
Registered
2006 V10 TDI
54 Posts
Yes, they added a DPF, which requires low ash/SAPS oil (that's what VW 507 is), and adapted the engine metallurgy to that. The 506.01 oil has better lubricating/sheer resistance properties, and hence it's still recommended for older variants without DPF, but will generate too much ash when burnt, and because of that can not be used on engines with a DPF, because it will lead to premature saturation (and ultimately failure) of the latter.

That being said according to the table above, you should still use 506.01 in a 2006 V10, even if it has a DPF, because obviously the metallurgy on that has not been yet adapted, and because of that using a 507 oil will lead to increased wear on the cams and bearings.
I read in another thread where you quoted another VW document that states the exception for 507 oil is "*All diesel vehicles fitted with R5 (5 cylinder) and 5.0ltr V10 engines and manufactured prior to 1 January 2006". According that THAT document, a model year 06 that was manufactured after Jan 1 06 would take 507 oil. I realize that document is older (from 07, even though still available on vw.co.uk), but is it possible the newer oil standard spreadsheet is dumbing this down this transition to model year?

The "prior to 1 January 2006" also does not mesh with the oil manufacture data sheets you quoted which all have a unique interpretation (06.2006, Dec 2006, MY 2006).

It seems almost certain that the transition happened at some point during MY2006, and there are some 2006 V10s that "should" use 506.01 and some that "should" use 507. And VW is playing it "safe" by recommended 506.01 for all MY2006 because clogging up the DPF is the lesser of 2 evils.

This doesn't instill any confidence for anyone with a late manufactured 2006 V10 with DPF. Especially when sourcing 506.01 oil is significantly more expensive and could very well be the wrong oil.

·
Registered
2006 V10 TDI
54 Posts
You only need 507.0 if you have dpf, else you can go with 506.0
The confusion comes from the chart Gnits posted above, which clearly states 506.01 is needed through model year 2006 WITH or without DPF... 507 is only for 2007+ with DPF. Earlier literature delineated a production date (before Jan 06, with or without DPF) that required 506.01.

I just took a look at my car. I have a Feb 06 production date and sticker under the bonnet that clearly states "Failure to use engine oil for your engine that expressly conforms to Volkswagen Oil Standard 505 01 or 507 00 can cause engine failure on the highway that can cause a crash and serious personal injury."

Gnits has posted in another thread repeatedly that all model year 2006 v10's, with or without DPF, require 506.01.

·
Registered
374 Posts
507 is for any with DPF. It has low ash to protect DPF. If you have DPF you use 507 or you damage the filter. In my case I have a late 2006 V10 and it has a DPF so I use 507.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Now I know why the idiots at VW in AL put the wrong oil in my Treg and f^&*ed it up, of course I had no way to prove it.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
This doesn't instill any confidence for anyone with a late manufactured 2006 V10 with DPF. Especially when sourcing 506.01 oil is significantly more expensive and could very well be the wrong oil.
The 506.01 oil only causes problems with DPFs - and even that mostly only then if the engine is burning an abnormally high amount of oil. That obviously is less problematic than wearing out the cam and the lifter, plus some bearings. Which in turn btw will most likely result in the DPF also saturating faster the normal, because of the sub-optimal burn-cycles caused by the worn head parts. This also makes it more logical to err on the side of the 506.01 oil, not on that of the 507, whenever in doubt.

Also, there should be fairly few (if any) V10s in the seemingly ambiguous state of being pre-2007 and having a DPF, or being after-2006 and not having a DPF. Because of that in most cases it should be obvious whether the engines should use 506.01 or 507, both when going by the model year and by the presence of the DPF.

As for the contradiction between what VW says and what the oil labels say: I personally would go by what VW recommends, unless there's empirical evidence for that information being definitely wrong, because VW is the primary source of information. Whatever oil manufacturers think or know about metallurgy and oil requirements changes (including when this was done) can obviously only be based on what VW told to them. So, they can not be more correct than VW, but they can be wrong if they misinterpreted, misprinted or mistranslated something. (I personally reported such a mistake to LM in one of their product sheets for a VW 507 oil a few years back, and as a response they've corrected it - which again just proves, that such mistakes can and do happen, even to the bests.)

Here's the oil matrix table from the latest Touareg maintenance manuals (labeled "Maintenance - Edition 01.2016", but downloaded this year from the VW site). Interpret it at your discretion.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
I just took a look at my car. I have a Feb 06 production date and sticker under the bonnet that clearly states "Failure to use engine oil for your engine that expressly conforms to Volkswagen Oil Standard 505 01 or 507 00 can cause engine failure on the highway that can cause a crash and serious personal injury."
The original label on any car is obviously older than VW's current recommendations (or that from a few years ago for that matter). We also know that VW had to change their original recommendations, because the systematic abnormal wear with the 507 oil in older V10 and V5 engines was discovered obviously only a few years after they have been put on the roads - which, again, makes whatever was written on the original labels or in the original manuals of these cars obsolete, at least in contrast to a more recent recommendation from VW, when these two contradict each other.

That being said at this point all V10 and R5 engines should be out of warranty - so, everybody is on their own, and should do what they personally think is best, because VW will obviously not replace anyone's cams or bearings as a warranty item anymore, regardless of what oil they've used, or which directions they have followed.

·
Registered
2006 V10 TDI
54 Posts
Also, there should be fairly few (if any) V10s in the seemingly ambiguous state of being pre-2007 and having a DPF, or being after-2006 and not having a DPF. Because of that in most cases it should be obvious whether the engines should use 506.01 or 507, both when going by the model year and by the presence of the DPF.
The 06 Touareg V10 TDI did not go on sale in the US until September 2006. Here is the press release from October 2006. "The 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI® – the first turbo-diesel light-duty vehicle in the U.S. market with a particulate filter – is now available in showrooms." All 06 Touareg V10s in the US are the ambiguous state of being pre-2007 and having a DPF.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
Here is the press release from October 2006. "The 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI
I'm not sure what to think about this press release. For one, because it seems to call these DPF-equipped Touareg V10 sometimes the 2006 Touareg and at other places the 2007 Touaregs (like "the new 2007 Touareg TDi [..] now equipped with a particulate filter and, according to VW, is 50-state legal"). Also, isn't it customary in the US to call the cars brought to market in X year (or at least in the second half of X year) the X+1 years models? I mean a Touareg introduced in November of 2006 would be called "the new 2007 Touareg", wouldn't it?

To make things even more confusing, the matrix from VW doesn't tell you exactly whether you should consider the model year or the manufacture year of the car (or possibly some other date?). Even though I'd wager they meant to go by the manufacture/assembly year, because afaik this "next year's model this year" thing is only custom in the US, but not in Europe, and also because not the marketing name but the assembly date is what should be determinant what parts a car is made from. Then again, as said, the matrix is absolutely not clear about this.

All 06 Touareg V10s in the US are the ambiguous state of being pre-2007 and having a DPF.
Well, according to the matrix above, if they're truly a 2006 car (whatever this means), they should still use 506.01, despite having a DPF.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
I read in another thread where you quoted another VW document that states the exception for 507 oil is "*All diesel vehicles fitted with R5 (5 cylinder) and 5.0ltr V10 engines and manufactured prior to 1 January 2006". According that THAT document
I think that was more likely from an oil label, not from an official document from VW. But can't tell for sure, because you didn't link to the comment/topic. Just saying. As above, I personally would take VW's directions over oil labels, in case they contradict each other.

·
Registered
374 Posts
In what did this f*up manifest
The instant the car came out from the dealership, I could hear the engine sound strange. So just to be on the safe side I drained the oil after just 500 miles and it was as thick as water, even my mechanic was surprised. To this day they have not shown me what type of oil they used.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
The DPfs got clogged and my cams were shot. The instant the car came out from the dealership, I could hear the engine sound strange. So just to be on the safe side I drained the oil after just 500 miles and it was as thick as water, even my mechanic was surprised. To this day they have not shown me what type of oil they used.
Well, then this was not related to the oil change, or at least not to any 506.01-507 confusion. If they were to put 507 instead of 506.01, or vice versa, that wouldn't lead to the thickening of the oil. Also it would take at least several thousands (if not tens of thousands) of miles for the DPF to get clogged by an 506.01 oil, even if your engine already consumed copious amounts of it.

So, if they put in like gear oil or something, then that could possibly indeed have fatal effects on your car, even in just a few hundred miles. But if they only confused 506.01 vs 507 (presumed they did), then whatever your problems with the oil thickening and DPF were, those were definitely not caused by this possible mistake per se, but by something else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts