Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm beating the snot out of my Treg as always when I hear a loud ticking noise while I'm downshifting into 2nd gear. It was a full throttle run through 2nd gear follwed by a quick shift to 3rd and then a no throttle downshift through 2nd gear while braking with the traction control turned off kind of a day. This abuse went on for about half an hour before the ticking began. The check engine light came on when the sound began and when I stopped to check it out the engine was misfiring and the light began to flash so I shut it off.

Treg's an '04 V6 with 100k miles. Two weeks before I had changed my sparkplugs, cleaned the K&N, Oil, Filter and it had been running like new.

I call AAA and it's going to be 2 hours before they can get there and it's going to be $500 to get my Treg out to my Office/Warehouse where I can tinker with it which is also 5 miles from the closest dealer. I get mad about and try to fire it back up. It finally started on the 3rd try. It was missing pretty bad and being mad about it I gave it hell for a second and noticed that about 1500 rpms the misfire went away. I ended up driving it home in 4th and 5th gear keeping the rpms up and it felt fine. Once I got it to my work it was back to normal running great. WTF?

I think I'll pick up a set of coils just for sh*ts and giggles.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Double check the connections at the coils. It wouldn't hurt to install the latest version ignition coils as they due have an extremely high failure rate. VW has issued a recall on the ignition coils.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.