Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
My advice to MsHannah is to go back to the VW dealer, have a chat about the matter, and negotiate a 'deal' where the VW dealer will diagnose the 'condition' and write a report describing the 'condition' and what must be done to repair.
And I agree with nickyt

Go back to the Ford dealer and insist that the car be repaired under the 3 month Statutory Warranty.

I don't know which State MsHannah is in but this is the Victoria Legalisation. Other States have similar Legalisation.
https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/motor-cars/buying-a-used-car/warranties

·
Registered
45 Posts
@ JimJ

Hahahahahahaha

Try getting your Consumer Affairs department to step in to assist.

The operative sentence is "If you purchase a product or service and find it has a defect, the warranty sets out what you can claim and how you can claim it."

Now, go look at the warranty and you'll note the insurer has the purchaser over a barrel.

Critically (in Australia), it is the warrantor that decides if there is a defect. In the case of MsHannah, the dealer has said the light is now off [how and by what means turning that light off was effected is unknown] MsHannah says the dealer said they did a diagnostic appraisal and the light went off!

So, if MsHannah is to effect a desired outcome, she needs a reputable 3rd party (eg. VW Service Centre) to make a report that there is a defect and how that defect is to be repaired.

Until or unless, MsHannah is whistling Dixie.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The light came on a week after I drove it off the lot. The dealer whom I bought it off and have warranty (have said if there is engine problems then warranty covers it) cleared the error code and said if comes back on bring it back and we will investigate. That was 13 days ago, light has not come back on. I was initially confused because one mechanic diagnosed it with 2,300 engine issue. But other dealer I bought off and have warranty cleared the error and said wait and see. I had 2 different responses, that's what confuses me. Car is running like a dream and light has not come on for 10 days so hopefully that's a good sign.

·
Registered
446 Posts
But other dealer I bought off and have warranty cleared the error and said wait and see. I had 2 different responses, that's what confuses me. Car is running like a dream and light has not come on for 10 days so hopefully that's a good sign.
Did the dealer do a printout of the error or record the error?

If no you may have to wait for the error to manifest itself again. I would then go to back to the VW dealer, get a scan done and without deleting the error. Get a printout of the scan. This printout will show the date, time, VIN, mileage and the error. Cannot argue with that.

Then go back to the Ford dealer, show them the printout of the scan from the VW dealer and get them to do a scan.
If it shows the same fault, request that they fix it under the Statutory Warranty

If they don't or give an excuse not to, just a gentle reminder about social media may have the desired effect.

Dalliance
You may laugh, but I have had repairs done in Qld under the Statutory Warranty on second hand vehicles, no questions asked.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@ JimJ - Lucky you!

Also a Qlder, and each time I've had to fight tooth and nail. The reference to the head gasket is but one experience.

@ MsHannah

As JimJ has written, the only way you'll ever get to the bottom of the matter is to go "to the VW dealer, get a scan done and without deleting the error. Get a printout of the scan. This printout will show the date, time, VIN, mileage and the error".

It may cost currency, but you'll have peace of mind.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Car is running like a dream and light has not come on for 10 days so hopefully that's a good sign.
That is a good sign and I hope it stays off. If something is broke, it should be fixed. Period. However, just because the light came on once, does not necessarily mean something is broke. Touaregs love to set Check Engine lights, in my experience.

If you are worried about it, pay the VW mechanic to go over the car and give you a basic bill of health. If you are not worried, keep driving it as long as the check engine light is off.

All I can tell you is the EGR light might come back on and it might never come back on. But, do check the fluids (oil and coolant) at least once a week for the next month. That is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
593 Posts
In my 2011, the check engine light turned itself off today and my jaw dropped, such a constant companion of my journeys it has been! The car has always run great, give or take some NOx emissions ?

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you are worried about it, pay the VW mechanic to go over the car and give you a basic bill of health. If you are not worried, keep driving it as long as the check engine light is off.
I had my Treg given the once over by and Independent European mechanic at no cost.
But he did gain a customer.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
My 2008 V6 TDI has the same problem, light came on over 3 years ago. I've covered about 50000 miles since then. I did some research and found there is a design flaw on this engine (Audi engineered) the official VW answer is to replace both inlet manifolds. UK estimate is approx £800 each side. I did find a supposed solution. The problem is wear in the swirl flap lever which after a period of time gets slack which is then picked up by the sensor. There is a VW replacement kit for the flap lever which costs £10 from a diesel performance company called Darkside Developments. Unfortunately it hasn't cured the problem permanently but when the light goes off it only seems to come back on if I do several stop/starts in a short period of time (switching engine off type stopping).

I've not noticed any drop in performance or fuel consumption. Speaking with a mechanic who's wife has a similar model, it is not a serious problem just an inconvenience.

Hope that helps

You need the DieselGeek repair kit.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
45 Posts
You need the DieselGeek repair kit.

Drag

Drag, had a look and ????

The site states NOT for V6 TDI (in the section headed Installation):

"Confirmed fitment for aluminum intake manifold 03L 129 711E on 2.0 liter four cylinder Common Rail TDI diesel engines (pictured on far right above). Not meant for V6 TDI."

aluminium: https://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Repair_Bracket_p/egr-p2015.htm

Black Plastic: Innovative repair bracket for Common Rail TDI fault code P2015 intake manifold flap; implausible signal for black plastic manifold

Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Drag, had a look and ????

The site states NOT for V6 TDI (in the section headed Installation):

"Confirmed fitment for aluminum intake manifold 03L 129 711E on 2.0 liter four cylinder Common Rail TDI diesel engines (pictured on far right above). Not meant for V6 TDI."

aluminium: https://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Repair_Bracket_p/egr-p2015.htm

Black Plastic: Innovative repair bracket for Common Rail TDI fault code P2015 intake manifold flap; implausible signal for black plastic manifold

Any more suggestions?

Yea it doesn't jump out at you on the site but.
https://www.dieselgeek.com/P2015_Repair_Bracket_for_V6_TDI_p/egr-p2015-v6tdi.htm

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm confused. If you have a warranty, why isn't this repair covered?
Yes, it is covered but the dealer who sold it to me are doing a wait and see thing it seems. They cleared the error code drove around for an hour, the light didn't come back on so they said, just come back if it comes back on and we will do further investigation. They said if there is an engine problem it is covered by warranty. They cleared error code 13 days ago, it hasn't come back on.....yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
In my 2011, the check engine light turned itself off today and my jaw dropped, such a constant companion of my journeys it has been! The car has always run great, give or take some NOx emissions ?
The Engine light going out would be a good thing, you would think..

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Seems like this is well covered by now, but I'll throw in my two cents -

1. As @JimJ said, if the light comes back on, take it to VW. Don't just stop at getting the code readout and report, get a full estimate for repair also.

2. Then go to the Ford dealer, and show them the estimate and report. If the selling dealer is responsible for the repair, and the repair is covered under warranty, there should be nothing preventing the Ford dealer from contracting the repair to VW - press them to do exactly this. The money passes through the Ford dealer to VW - Ford isn't going to make a dime on a warranty repair anyway. They have plenty of Fords to repair as it is.

The reasoning is, VW Touareg TDIs are special beasts. I would not trust a non-VW dealer to repair a VW vehicle, least of all one that's designed by VW's master engineers to fool regulatory agencies worldwide. That, and a VW dealer will have the experience to complete the repair (certainly a Sydney VW dealer has done many such repairs by now) and the correct diagnostic equipment to validate the fix, probably with a lower chance of screwing something else up in the process. Clearly your Ford dealer doesn't want to be in the business of fixing your VW over and over, and neither do you want to see the Ford service manager more than you see your new Touareg.

At the very least, find a good independent VW mechanic who has experience working on the 3.0L TDI and strongly encourage the Ford dealer contract out to them.

They're great vehicles, and hopefully you've seen the last of this particular issue. My 2010 Touareg has been a trustworthy Sherpa, always ready when I need it and totally reliable - I hope the rest of your ownership experience is similarly enjoyable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Seems like this is well covered by now, but I'll throw in my two cents -

1. As @JimJ said, if the light comes back on, take it to VW. Don't just stop at getting the code readout and report, get a full estimate for repair also.

2. Then go to the Ford dealer, and show them the estimate and report. If the selling dealer is responsible for the repair, and the repair is covered under warranty, there should be nothing preventing the Ford dealer from contracting the repair to VW - press them to do exactly this. The money passes through the Ford dealer to VW - Ford isn't going to make a dime on a warranty repair anyway. They have plenty of Fords to repair as it is.

The reasoning is, VW Touareg TDIs are special beasts. I would not trust a non-VW dealer to repair a VW vehicle, least of all one that's designed by VW's master engineers to fool regulatory agencies worldwide. That, and a VW dealer will have the experience to complete the repair (certainly a Sydney VW dealer has done many such repairs by now) and the correct diagnostic equipment to validate the fix, probably with a lower chance of screwing something else up in the process. Clearly your Ford dealer doesn't want to be in the business of fixing your VW over and over, and neither do you want to see the Ford service manager more than you see your new Touareg.

At the very least, find a good independent VW mechanic who has experience working on the 3.0L TDI and strongly encourage the Ford dealer contract out to them.

They're great vehicles, and hopefully you've seen the last of this particular issue. My 2010 Touareg has been a trustworthy Sherpa, always ready when I need it and totally reliable - I hope the rest of your ownership experience is similarly enjoyable.
Thanks Stabone33 for reading through my disjointed comments to work out my issue. At this point (removed error 10/3/17) 15 days later the light still has not come back on, I'm hoping this is a good sign, as if there were major problems it would have come back on by now? hmm right. I like your advise if light come back on to go to my local VW mechanic get read out and quote. The Ford group I bought it off said "If the light comes back on, we'll book it in and check it out". They also said that they would want to do the work because they can do it cheaper (Ford guy said this). If the issue did come back up again do I have right to say I want my local VW mechanic to fix it? Just trying to think ahead here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I had my Treg given the once over by and Independent European mechanic at no cost.
But he did gain a customer.
The light hasn't come back on and it's been 15 days.....It cost me $110.00 to diagnose the EGR, cooler replacement issue and give verbal quote $2,300. There is no code reader no. on the invoice. Again though Ford whom I bought car off turned off the light and said if it comes back on, to come back and they will look into it...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts