Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 V6 TDI Guys, The Engine light recently lit up. VW inspected today and stated that a rod connected to the actuator/flap on the inlet manifold had broken. No replacement part of course requires complete new Inlet manifold at $1100. Suggested both should be replaced to minimise Labour costs of $500.
So that is $2200 plus $700 labour. They say not related to significan work due to diesel contamination.Is there another option?
The usually story from VW complete assembly needs replacement no part available.
Any ideas OLIS

·
Registered
102 Posts
The arms can be replace for around $150US(?) from Gruven parts. Search ebay (or Gruven) for the parts, this site for the work instructions, and my user name for how I replaced the pod from a range rover cruise control.

One caveat, if the manifold flapper has frozen inside the manifold, you have to break it loose. Again, search this site for manifold actuator and tons of stuff will show up.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Didn't someone post last week about some plastic arms that are cheaper than the Gruven ones?

In the back of my mind I think there might even be a VW service parts pack that contains new arms too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Catalytic Converter light off

Guys, Thanks for the posts was in a hurry last week as we were heading to Temora for Warbirds 2015 decided to go anyway. Awesome exhibition of Aircraft. Light went off and stayed off for the whole trip whilst towing the Caravan. Replacing the whole inlet manifold does not make any sense so I am trolling the net looking for the part. Will pursue this option and advise. OLIS

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steady Engine Light comes on Intermittently

Guys, I have not got to the bottom of why a steady engine light comes on intermittently. First occured October 2015 after service. I took it back and Dealer inspected and declared Inlet Manifold actuator arm failure see previous post and cost. I was dubious and have inspected these a couple of times and reviewed posts but here is nothing broken here and they appear OK from my perspective. Not doing many Kms as I drive my wife's Honda around town. Stays off for 4-5 weeks. Early this week came on Monday steady and stayed on all week but disappeared again today. Only did 125kms. If I can get a VAG Com will it help with analysis or will I get a generic message. Anybody had experience with this issue?
Is there some one you could recommend to have a look at it in Sydney South.
Do not like unfinished business. OLIS

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
OLIS,

this is the actuator arm that needs replacing

Genuine Audi A8 Q7 3 0TDI Swirl Flap Repair KIT Inlet Intake Manifold 059198212 | eBay

as you can see the ends of the arm are made from a reinforced nylon material, on these ends there is a hole where the end of the metal actuator arm fits into and what generally happens because of the softer material, over time the holes become elongated and throw up the error code.
You say you have inspected the arms but you must have been looking at something else as I don't think you can see the attachment points at all without removing some things on the top of the engine.

I have heard that they can be replaced without taking the manifolds off (there are a few youtube videos on procedure) with one side much easier than the other but normally you need to take both manifolds off and replace the arms.
If you do replace the manifolds I suggest you spend a few hours and remove the oily gunk you will find inside the manifolds, a real crappy job.

If you do take the manifolds off you can inspect the flaps and connecting rods and the saddles they sit on as at times they can be a source of problem as well however there is another OEM repair kit with all those parts included which may be a better option seeing as most of the time will be taken up in the removal and re installation of the manifolds.

I have had both of mine replaced a couple of years ago and it is VW policy to replace the both intake manifolds including actuators, a gross fix overkill.

I still have my old manifolds with one cleaned and the other not so if you want a pic of the before and after I can try and pull them out and show you the difference.

TonyB

·
Super Moderator
3,817 Posts
Olis,

I am with Tony on this, however I have read reports on a number of incidents where the link rod had broken due to the swirl lap shaft wearing and snagging on the case.
With that in mind I would recommend you go the extra mile and replace the shaft assembly at the same time....

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/191650996652

AUDI VW 2.7 3.0 TDI INLET INTAKE MANIFOLD SWIRL FLAPS SET A4 A5 A6 A8 Q7 TOUAREG

Stuart

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Engine Warning Light/Inlet Manifold actuator

Thanks TonyB & Stuart,
You can access and operate both actuator arms and check the top ball joints after you remove the cover.Access on passenger side OK but drivers side near Turbo a bit tight.
The arms appear quite solid. I was looking initially for a breakage as that is what the dealer diagnosed and hopefully a quick fix but definitely not the case.
After checking all the posts if I am able to replace actuator arms that might not fix the problem. It appears that the shaft assembly could be part of problem.
This involves removing and re-installing Inlet Manifolds which looks a little tricky.
We re-evaluate before proceeding. OLIS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts