Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I launched my boat today, and, as one does, reversed it down the ramp into the water. I realized it submerged the tailpipes for a second, because I could hear a burble, but I quickly corrected.

I then got then got the boat all squared away, and onto it's mooring, and by the time I got back, maybe 2 - 2.5 hrs had past. When I started the car with the empty trailer attached it flashed engine fault and had a quirly q on the tach and one flashing on top of the MFD.

I got to my storage place to dump the empty trailer (20 min drive) and turned off the car to take trailer off. When I turned it back on all was fine...or is it? What happened?! Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
These things are designed to drive through water/mud nearly halfway up the doors. Submerging the exhaust pipes for a few minutes with the engine running should NOT have triggered any faults. The curly-q symbol usually means a glow plug issue and, if flashing, an important engine MIL - malfunction indicator light - was set. The ECU should have stored the event. Get a VCDS readout to find out what it was, clear it, and see if it returns. If the code repeats you have more to go on.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
submerging tail pipe for a short time will do no harm, BUT if you are dealing with salt water you best do a real good jovb of flushing the whole area that went under, like brakes wheels etc. Your exhaust blew out the water that may have entered the pipes.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Your exhaust blew out the water that may have entered the pipes.
What he said. That's why you never stop the engine when the pipes are submerged.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts