Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
ok. didn't see wolverine's post until now.

I tried the adaptation in post #18 and then went on a 50minute/90km drive on highway.

I tried the adaption 3x, but could not get the baseline back down to 1.0.... I believe it went from 1.5 to 1.4 and then to 1.3 or there abouts. I had time so I did the testdrive anyways, and logged vehicle speed, nox1 sensor ppm, nox2 ppm, and long term adaptation of reduction agent.

nox2 sensor readings are still out of whack. NOX2 reads 0ppm until 680 seconds (10mins 20 sec) into the drive.... That can't be right...

The adaptation went down to 1.15 at the end of the 50 minute highway drive.

Can you take another look at this blown up photo of the injector.... u sure that's clogged? I just see a few white crystals on the brass middle part... Wait, are u saying that brass middle part is a screen? I thought it might open/close....
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

I appreciate the responses to my q7 inquiries.....

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,962 Posts
Wait..... what? We are trying to help a Q7? Hellz NO !

Did you do the reset correctly? After performing the reset/adaptation, did you check the value went to 1 before you went driving?

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wait..... what? We are trying to help a Q7? Hellz NO !

Did you do the reset correctly? After performing the reset/adaptation, did you check the value went to 1 before you went driving?
It never went down to 1.... it was initially 1.5, then 1.4, then I think 1.3.... I tried 2-3x to get it to reset to 1.0 but it never did.

the output field on the adaptation said something like "Finish OK,....routine not OK" or something to that effect. I should screenshot it next time i'm in there.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
OP - did I read it right that this has been happening for years and you've not done anything about it until now?

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
OP - did I read it right that this has been happening for years and you've not done anything about it until now?
yeah intermittent CEL's - almost always intermittent NOX2 implausible signal, and low effiency catalyst P20EE (MIL On)... Sometimes the CEL would clear on it's own, sometimes I would clear it with VCDS.

started at about 140K km on the odometer (mid 2020?).... I never took it in because I was chipped.

The 350km warning for adblue was new.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
yeah intermittent CEL's - almost always intermittent NOX2 implausible signal, and low effiency catalyst P20EE (MIL On)... Sometimes the CEL would clear on it's own, sometimes I would clear it with VCDS.

started at about 140K km on the odometer (mid 2020?).... I never took it in because I was chipped.

The 350km warning for adblue was new.
What does being tuned have to do with not maintaining a vehicle for 2 years?? Being tuned with the emissions equipment in place means you're going to be abusing your emissions equipment at a faster pace than stock.. which is already a fat shot from reliable as is.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,962 Posts
You may need to test the injector flow

Some say.....
Testing N474-Reducing Agent Injector [UDS controllers]

Summery:

Below is the procedures for UDS controllers, as usual please follow all additional instructions, warnings, etc found in the Official Factory Repair Manuals. During this test the output of AdBlue from the N474-Reducing Agent Injector will be tested and measured.

We strongly recommend to check the SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) adaptations before clearing any codes or testing, this will let you know if the Engine controller is either 'adding' or 'taking away' from the mapped amount of AdBlue that is being injected into the system.

This test should be completed if you have:
  • NOx efficiency fault code
  • SCR fluid consumption too low or high
  • Other similar NOx or N474 concerns.

Testing N474-Reducing Agent Injector [UDS controllers]

Component to be tested:
N474-Reducing Agent Injector
Component location: Exhaust, upstream of NOx catalyst
Required time for test: About 20 minutes
Special tools: VAS-6532 (or a clear plastic container)
Prerequisites: Key on, Engine off and the use of a proper Battery Maintainer is required, test will run 10 or more minutes.

Special Notes: Follow the workshop manual and all safety precautions when working with the vehicle and when handling Diesel exhaust fluid (AdBlue)!

Procedure:

Select [01-Engine]
Select Advanced Measuring Values, [Long-term adaptation of reduction agent dosage]
- Make note of field (1)
Hint: Use the filter on the pop-up (look for the key word "term")

Evaluation of Long-term adaptation of reduction agent dosage:
A value of:
[= 1.00] = Default value after a reset (center-line value)
[> 1.00] = System is having to 'add' AdBlue to maintain NOx catalyst efficiency
[< 1.00] = System is having to 'reduce' AdBlue due to an over-dosage detection
[0.90 to 1.10] = Normal working range

At this time, remove the N474-Reducing Agent Injector from the exhaust and place it into the collection container.
Important: Do Not Disconnect the supply line or electrical connection! refer to the Official Factory Repair Manuals

To start the test,
Select Engine-01
Select Adaptation
Select [Adaptation for metering quantity measurement]
Press Read ([Stored] value is typically [04])
Enter in a New Value of [02], press [Save]
Note: This step enables the Basic Settings, a key cycle will reset this to a value of [04]

Select Basic Settings
Select [SCR metering quantity test], press [Go!]
Then press [On/Off/Next]

Completion:
  • The test will continue to run for about 10 minutes, when complete, it will automatically stop. Exit out of the controller.
  • You should expect to have about 25-30ml in the catch container.
  • Less could indicate the N474-Reducing Agent Injector is clogged or restricted or low supply pressure
  • More would most likely indicate a leaking N474-Reducing Agent Injector or high supply pressure

If the N474 is to specification, be sure to verify the quality of the AdBlue is correct. You can check the concentration with a DPF/AdBlue refractometer.

· Registered
Current Vehicle #1 - 2012 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CATA Current Vehicle #2 - 2014 Audi Q7 3.0L TDI CNRB
389 Posts
View attachment 254753

finding pictures of the injector on RockAuto.... looks like there are 3 jets typically on the urea injector.... Yes mine seems clogged. Will remove and clean it this weekend
You can try that. My 2012 it didn't work because the injector was faulty. Replacement fixed it. I ran the injector test posted above and it was obvious that it was not spraying properly.

My wife's 2014 clogged once and was never a problem after I cleaned it.

Soak the injector end only in hot water...the deposits will disappear in under 30 seconds.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk

· Registered
196 Posts
You can try that. My 2012 it didn't work because the injector was faulty. Replacement fixed it. I ran the injector test posted above and it was obvious that it was not spraying properly.

My wife's 2014 clogged once and was never a problem after I cleaned it.

Soak the injector end only in hot water...the deposits will disappear in under 30 seconds.

Sent from my SM-S906W using Tapatalk
^^^^ This

Did you conduct N474 reducing agent injector test with VCDS? It will give you a proper understanding if the injector it's clogged or not. Just remove injector and point into a container. It will tell you everything if the injector system is working or not.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
injector is not clogged I can see 3 little jets of adblue..... running the injector test now...
Car Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tableware Dishware Liquid Food Drinkware

got 31g of adblue in dixie cup. specific gravity of adblue is 1.087g/cm3

~28mL of adblue

· Registered
196 Posts
Then your Def system is working correctly.

Start looking at the Nox sensors, as i said they fail over time and common replacement.
I have done a few successful Nox sensor head replacements which reduces the price massively but finding parts at the moment is difficult. The sensor head/heater is really the only thing that wears out.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i'm seriously thinking about trying the amazon germban branded with chinglish labelling on it... (I already rec'd it a few days ago) and see if it reads better.... some of NOX readings don't make sense, and I have over 1hr of log data that I reviewed...

· Registered
196 Posts
i'm seriously thinking about trying the amazon germban branded with chinglish labelling on it... (I already rec'd it a few days ago) and see if it reads better.... some of NOX readings don't make sense, and I have over 1hr of log data that I reviewed...
I wouldn't recommend any cheapo Nox sensors, they aren't calibrated right and sensor heads don't last long. I'd find a set of used Nox sensors off a VW or audi, I'm sure there's people who have deleted recently and have both sitting around taking up space.

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
The cheapo NOX sensor is in.... I did the metering reset (came out at 0.99 after resetting a couple times)... I have a Malone Tune, so maybe it doesn't reset as normal.... Just finished a 70km highway run with an average trip speed of 110kph, and logged it... After SCR NOX levels look very good, and were consistently dropping during the 70km reset. I will post some graphs from the logs tomorrow.... I will also include a couple graphs from when I had the "Low efficiency NOX code" as well...

Long term adaptation after the 70km highway run, followed by a trip to the automatic car wash and then back home was 1.06 for the reduction agent. I forgot to scan for codes, but will do so tomorrow sometime.

· Registered
253 Posts
Not the answer to the questions, but thougth I'd post: I had high ad blue consumption (actual, not just sensor showing and then not much going into the tank). Sent confirmed VCDS scans and code to Audi dealer. Got appointment (still under diesel warranty) 8 weeks out. Asked them READ the scans/codes and determine what parts are (likely) needed to make use of the long wait time.
Dropped car off, 2 days later received: "you have a code; we are now starting to get the part" (here: AdBlue pump module). After another 4 weeks without an update, called. "still trying to get the part". Asked how long it could take: "off the record: could be MONTHS". I picked up my car two days later and asked my local tuner to delete the AdBlue system (and thereby forfeiting my remaining 9 months of diesel warranty). Car drives great now, no issues (no AdBlue fill up either).

· Registered
5,685 Posts
Not the answer to the questions, but thougth I'd post: I had high ad blue consumption (actual, not just sensor showing and then not much going into the tank). Sent confirmed VCDS scans and code to Audi dealer. Got appointment (still under diesel warranty) 8 weeks out. Asked them READ the scans/codes and determine what parts are (likely) needed to make use of the long wait time.
Dropped car off, 2 days later received: "you have a code; we are now starting to get the part" (here: AdBlue pump module). After another 4 weeks without an update, called. "still trying to get the part". Asked how long it could take: "off the record: could be MONTHS". I picked up my car two days later and asked my local tuner to delete the AdBlue system (and thereby forfeiting my remaining 9 months of diesel warranty). Car drives great now, no issues (no AdBlue fill up either).
First time dealing with the dealership? They don't give a **** about your vagcom. They need to see it in person on their dealer equipment.

Reactions: Mike in Anchorage
21 - 40 of 51 Posts